ASU @ #15 California 7PM Friday on ESPN

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cal is 4-0, which includes road wins at Washington and Ole Miss.

I am hopeful that Daniels can work his magic as he did on the road against Michigan State, and that Danny Gonzales can put together a better game plan that our D executes. Cal's quarterback is solid, but he has been sacked a lot, hopefully they can get to him.

But my head is telling me this may turn into an ugly loss, not an ugly win. For a change, Cal is supposed to be a solid defensive team. I was reading on another board that we have another O lineman that is banged up, but may play. If they can't protect Daniels, its going to be a long night.

Last edited:

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm going to go full Homer and believe in Herm and say I can see a victory. I'll wait until the Speak of the Devils podcast breakdown comes out before a full prediction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But my head is telling me this may turn into an ugly loss, not an ugly win. For a change, Cal is supposed to be a solid defensive team. I was reading on another board that we have another O lineman that is banged up, but may play. If they can't protect Daniels, its going to be a long night.

One of the things that really concerned me in the Colorado game (besides the defense) is that the Devil's offensive line let an outside rusher have a clean shot on Daniels in the second half. IMO, he didn't play with the same confidence after that. This can't happen in the Cal game.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep asking myself:

Is Cal for real? I mean it's Cal.

Short week on the road does not bode well for the good guys. Great opportunity to wash away the Colorado loss. Go Devils!

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep asking myself:

Is Cal for real? I mean it's Cal.

Short week on the road does not bode well for the good guys. Great opportunity to wash away the Colorado loss. Go Devils!

Here is a take that I am blatantly stealing from another Board:

Posted by LocoDiablo on September 27, 19 at 14:41:59:

Attended the Cal / Ole' Miss game last week, a couple of things on Cal D stood out...
Entire D bit hard on play action, usually resulting in large gains by the running QB.
Corners are soft to bubble and tunnel screens.
Dline is stout vs. the run, but not totally disciplined against the trap.
I sincerely hope all the football consultants saw this and Likens has implemented plays not seen before to catch Cal off balance.

GO DEVILS!

Hope I don't get sued. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Devils didn't generate a pass rush against Colorado's quarterback Steven Montez. I hope they can make adjustments for tonight.

Here is a reported comment from the ASU defensive coordinator Danny Gonzales.

"If we play like we did (vs. Colorado) and give him the same time Montez had, we're going to make him look like a Heisman candidate," he said. "That means we're going to stunt, we're going to blitz. I promise you our boys will be a lot more aggressive this week."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-heat-california-after-lack-sacks/2432694001/

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Cal is pretty overrated. They have been in relatively tight games with everyone they have played so far, and Washington is the only quality win they have, albeit a decent one under bizarre circumstances.

They also looked less than impressive in wins over 1-AA Cal-Davis and North Texas. Ole Miss even on the road isn't much to write home about either.

That's not to say they can't take ASU in Berkeley, especially given ASU's less than consistent performance so far. But it's by no means a sure thing, either. Cal isn't anywhere as good as their ranking, in any case.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is true, but not sure why he would say that publicly

I was asking myself, if he can dial up a pass rush against Cal why didn't he do it against Colorado.

Maybe Danny Gonzales is working on new schemes to rush the quarterback.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Benjamin powers into the endzone for a touchdown. Nice to get onto the scoreboard early.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garbers (QB) and Evan Weaver are the real thing for Cal. Weaver is one of the top ILB/DE for next years draft. Hey Keim be there and watch Weaver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devils got a piece of that punt.

Nice to see a bit of a pass rush on that last series on defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can Hodges drop that pass wide open.