Why is Andy Isabella not being used?

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is really a hindsight is 20/20 thing to say.

Production wise Isabella was 3 times better in college, and Metcalf was just a workout warrior. I was against drafting metcalf because 9 times out of 10 workout warriors that don't produce don't suddenly learn how to in the NFL.

Metcalf may be one of the few exceptions, but there is a reason he fell to the third round, most teams thought he was far from a sure thing.

Didn't Isabella play against inferior competition tho? I wanted Metcalf bad, but it is what it is. Hopefully Isabella can be a productive contributer to this team offensively.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Production wise Isabella was 3 times better in college, and Metcalf was just a workout warrior. I was against drafting metcalf because 9 times out of 10 workout warriors that don't produce don't suddenly learn how to in the NFL.

Metcalf may be one of the few exceptions, but there is a reason he fell to the third round, most teams thought he was far from a sure thing.
I think it was foresight for a lot of us.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In one practice I visited in training camp Isabella was just ordinary. I can with certainity say Pharoah Cooper was the more faster one catching punts and juggs machine balls in that practice.

And Cooper was cut. If Isabella was not a second rounder there is no way he would have made even this awful Cardinals team.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In one practice I visited in training camp Isabella was just ordinary. I can with certainity say Pharoah Cooper was the more faster one catching punts and juggs machine balls in that practice.

And Cooper was cut. If Isabella was not a second rounder there is no way he would have made even this awful Cardinals team.

In my opinion it's ball security mostly.

But it's also that his route running is pretty bad.

Based on what I saw from training camp videos and preseason, I am not very optimistic he ever works out.

It's too early to start drinking. Sheeez.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things I read during preseason was that isabella had issues getting off the LOS against press defense and it negated his speed. when they ran sideline routes it was too easy to trap him on the sideline so he couldn't get downfield.

One of the reasons I bring that up is it seems to me that we're seeing a pretty good mix of man and zone played against us. One of the reasons I wanted Kyler to run more often is so teams can't just play man against us, if you man against a QB who can run, the WR's can just take off and then the QB has huge run lanes because the LB's have to drop deeper to cover. Much easier for a QB to run against man.

He ran more last week it will be interesting to see if Seattle plays much man against us, they're traditionally more of a zone team. With your Wr's being young it's get tougher for them to find holes in the zone and sit down in them, and it can be tougher on the QB to know what's the actual coverage. I get the sense teams are zoning us a bit more than we thought they would, and that SHOULD benefit Isabella as he won't see as much press coverage up at the LOS.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the WR's were getting separation and making plays I'd have said nothing, but the reality is they ARE NOT getting space...and Andy has the speed for slants and quick routes they do in NE.
I'd at least like to see what he can do knowing the current crop of WR's has gotten the team NADA
He catches the ball with his chest, needs to catch the ball with his hands for slant routes. That is one of his main issues. Supposedly he's working on it but time will tell.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's too early to start drinking. Sheeez.
I don't drink much. May be a few beers in a month that's it. That said,

what could explain Isabella not seeing punts and kickoffs?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't drink much. May be a few beers in a month that's it. That said,

what could explain Isabella not seeing punts and kickoffs?

I'm talking about me Arz!! LOL! I'll drink enough for the both of us if this keeps up!

To be honest. My hopes were so much higher for this dude. I believed him to be tailor made for this "system" our head coach runs. Couple that with the fact that we've been functional at best so far on offense, and that AI can't get a run in the system, and that tells you where I'm at with my faith with KK. It irks me to think about him continuing this nonsense!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He catches the ball with his chest, needs to catch the ball with his hands for slant routes. That is one of his main issues. Supposedly he's working on it but time will tell.
Makes sense.

You've got a short QB throwing to a short Wr with small hands. Need guys with a bigger catch radius. However, I still think there are ways to use his speed. Jets, screens, and going deep.

He's not ready for a full route tree and the Cards messed up trying to make him Welker. However, he's got rare speed. Gotta get creative because we don't have a lot of that.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember when they showed the 'war room' and they were talking about trading Rosen and being able to get Andy....KK looked like a kid on Xmas morning....'YES I WANT ANDY!'
One of the things I read during preseason was that isabella had issues getting off the LOS against press defense and it negated his speed. when they ran sideline routes it was too easy to trap him on the sideline so he couldn't get downfield.

One of the reasons I bring that up is it seems to me that we're seeing a pretty good mix of man and zone played against us. One of the reasons I wanted Kyler to run more often is so teams can't just play man against us, if you man against a QB who can run, the WR's can just take off and then the QB has huge run lanes because the LB's have to drop deeper to cover. Much easier for a QB to run against man.

He ran more last week it will be interesting to see if Seattle plays much man against us, they're traditionally more of a zone team. With your Wr's being young it's get tougher for them to find holes in the zone and sit down in them, and it can be tougher on the QB to know what's the actual coverage. I get the sense teams are zoning us a bit more than we thought they would, and that SHOULD benefit Isabella as he won't see as much press coverage up at the LOS.

Seattle and teams like the Ravens have similar QB's in house....therefor they are best suited to deal with QB's like Murray.

I predict
Cardinals 20
Seattle 38

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Here are comments I made in the Senior Bowl thread we had on here...

###

Pass on Isabella. Hart is showing out so far.

If you want a nice mid round steal for the o line, look at Chuma Edoga USC. He reminds me a ton of Terron Armstead when the Saints took him in round 3. Smooth athlete with good size who just needed to add a bit of physicality to his game at LT.

###

It is a good thing Isabella didn't get it, it would have bounced right off his hands.

###

Isabella is getting more hype than he really has earned at the Senior Bowl. Hart has shown that he does what Isabella does, but way better. That doesn't mean Isabella is a bad player, but his grade should not be impacted by his performance this week.

###

There are 15 WRs in this draft I like better than Isabella.

###

*I'm throwing these in there because they make me sad...*
Yes. There are some guys who would fill some needs for the Cardinals.

WR
Terry McLaurin - Ohio St

If they don't love Kanoff, Minshew is not a bad option in the 5th or 6th round.

###

I'm not a professional scout and I could tell you the issues with Isabella back at the Senior Bowl. It's not hindsight. It is seeing what you saw and being shocked other did not see the same things. Isabella had no business being the 8th WR selected in the draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember when they showed the 'war room' and they were talking about trading Rosen and being able to get Andy....KK looked like a kid on Xmas morning....'YES I WANT ANDY!'

Seattle and teams like the Ravens have similar QB's in house....therefor they are best suited to deal with QB's like Murray.

I predict
Cardinals 20
Seattle 38
Obviously its highly edited, but I wonder who else were they hoping was there? Sure wish we could have seen their big board as well. Did they edit out Metcalf....or did we really have Hakeem Butler over D.K as well.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Still gotta figure out a way to use Andy though.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Obviously its highly edited, but I wonder who else were they hoping was there? Sure wish we could have seen their big board as well. Did they edit out Metcalf....or did we really have Hakeem Butler over D.K as well.

Still gotta figure out a way to use Andy though.

Excellent post!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The killer part about that drop was we didn't make Jackson pay for gambling. Maybe that would have dinged his confidence about trying it the next drive(s).

Instead he gambled a couple of times and made Kyler pay for it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Forget Metcalf for a moment - If the Cards wanted their young WEs to get more touches, why sign Crabtree in the first place?
I think we IR'd Hakeem Butler for the sole purpose of signing Crabtree.

What a waste. If they are still trying to carry 7 wrs I'd bring back Kevin White or Pharoh Cooper.

Then again maybe this forces Kliff to play more TE's

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was totally wrong about Isabella. I was excited when we drafted him. I thought he could make some minor adjustments working with professional coaches on his catching and route running, but I think the kid has a really long way to go. :(

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Fwiw, I liked McLaurin and thought he’d be the best OSU Wr in the draft.

He’s better than Isabella in every facet of football.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I Think you are all overreacting.

It used to be okay for WRs to take 2 years to develop. What changed?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The new normal is accepting second-round picks not seeing the field in their first three games as "part of development"!

Enjoy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I Think you are all overreacting.

It used to be okay for WRs to take 2 years to develop. What changed?
The physicality of press coverage allowed by refs changed. Receivers being deemed defenseless when crossing the middle changed. Teams pass more which increases the amount of reps they get.

A lot has changed in the NFL over the past 10 years. It is why passing has taken such a huge leap forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nothing has changed in real life, only in fan expectations.

Isabella is a rock solid prospect. He will be a good NFL player.
He is small, runs mediocre routes, and struggles to consistently catch the ball. These are all mostly correctable, but he is far from a "rock solid" prospect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson