Maybe, DJ is a ...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
WR, and no longer a dynamic running back. Maybe David Johnson for whatever reason is not the runner he used to be but would instantly be one of the better physical WRs in the league. Just a thought guys, because if the whole advantage about him is getting him in space to be productive... then he should be playing WR and Edmunds deserves a chance

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He is a great receiver for a RB, but would be very limited as a full time receiver.

Let's see what happens when he actually gets a good amount of rush attempts for once. Can't expect a whole lot with like 10 total touches.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He is a great receiver for a RB, but would be very limited as a full time receiver.

Let's see what happens when he actually gets a good amount of rush attempts for once. Can't expect a whole lot with like 10 total touches.

I don't know. It's hard either way to judge him because he does not get enough touches be it pass or run but I still think he can catch just as good as your average NFL WR and could be a physical WR in the same style Boldin was for us. I have seen him pass pro... dude is not a TE lol

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He needs more touches, that's a given, but he seems tentative, more like a guy who came back from a spine injury or major knee injury...not a wrist injury.

Might be just another guy who balled out, got paid and set it to cruise control?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The TV networks have both the suspended camera and endzone cameras have the ability to show shots focused on the back of the O-line. You’ve all seen shots of holes opened for running backs that you could have driven a Mini Cooper through without hurting anyone. When’s the last time you saw one from the Cards? DJ doesn’t need that size hole but even a small one would be nice on occasion.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs more touches, that's a given, but he seems tentative, more like a guy who came back from a spine injury or major knee injury...not a wrist injury.

Might be just another guy who balled out, got paid and set it to cruise control?

He seems t obe putting in maximum effort all training camp and motivated to be great. I do not believe he is just mailing it in.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fact is he's not earning his paycheck, and I was not a fan of Keim giving him all that money based on a small sample size when he seemed injury-prone. He has not looked in two regimes; you could make the argument that he doesn't get enough touches, but you can make the argument that he doesn't do anything on the touches he does get. Right now, DJ is an enigma that this offense desperately needs to figure out.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fact is he's not earning his paycheck, and I was not a fan of Keim giving him all that money based on a small sample size when he seemed injury-prone. He has not looked in two regimes; you could make the argument that he doesn't get enough touches, but you can make the argument that he doesn't do anything on the touches he does get. Right now, DJ is an enigma that this offense desperately needs to figure out.

He had one injury, a dislocated wrist. That does not mean injury prone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Running behind our OL's the past couple of years would make anyone be tentative.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but is DJ too top heavy? He’s mighty proud of his biceps, has he been skipping leg day?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see him as a WR. He's more of a TE body type. I don't think he has the off the line speed and agility to be a wideout.

Plus, the Cards have a pretty full WR room as it is.

I think the line just needs to open a hole up once in a while...some day...maybe...?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see him as a WR. He's more of a TE body type. I don't think he has the off the line speed and agility to be a wideout.

Plus, the Cards have a pretty full WR room as it is.

I think the line just needs to open a hole up once in a while...some day...maybe...?

I don't think the room is very full at all. They have a 2nd round pick that can't even see the field. They are looking at more options at WR. This much I think is clear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i googled it. He got injured in week 17 of the 2016-2017 season. After his extension.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/david-johnson/7262

he got the extension on Sept. 8, 2018.

He injured his knee last game of the season on New Year's Day Jan. 1st 2017. Looked REALLY gruesome at the time, and "when the injury initially occurred, Johnson laid on the ground and feared the worst-case scenario. But he will just require six to eight weeks of "rest and rehab."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...n-knee-injury-not-serious-no-surgery-required

Then he broke his wrist in the first game of the 2017 season (Sept. 2017) and was out for the year. So there was the MCL damage and then wrist injury within 9 months of each other. Contract extension came out a full year later Sept. 8, 2018.

That said, I remember watching that first game since the MCL damage against Detroit in 2017 and thinking he did not look ANYTHING like the guy who was a beast in 2015/2016. That he looked demonstrably slower, not hitting the whole as hard, lacked the wiggle that he had the previous two years. Pretty much got laughed off the board and called an idiot. But Ouchie and I talked about it that day and then both of us saw the exact same thing last last year.

What might have happened was he got that knee scare... when he thought his career was over... and just basically has the football equivalent of the yips since then because he's never looked the same as he did before that Rams game. Combine that with the fact that he came in as an older rookie at 23 and the fact that the majority of stud RBs start to decline around age 28 (which he's 3 months shy of) and his time just could be up.

shame... he was electrifying those first two years.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the room is very full at all. They have a 2nd round pick that can't even see the field. They are looking at more options at WR. This much I think is clear.

You could be right. I still don't see DJ being a WR.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but is DJ too top heavy? He’s mighty proud of his biceps, has he been skipping leg day?

I dont think his physique is part of the issue at the moment

Just wondering if he’s put on too much mass and it’s taken away a step.

I actually do think that his overall mass is a part of the problem. Functional strength is important, but not lift a car with one leg strength.

It could:
Create joint issues over time.
Reduce top end speed.
Minimize elusiveness. <-- Where have his jump cuts gone?!?!?!
Cause ball/forearm/bicep placement issues leading to increased fumble risk.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's slow
he is not decisive - he gets the ball - pauses- looks for his lane then goes - it's all too slow
watch Dalvin Cook, Jones, Bears Rb, Ekeler, and more - they get the ball AND GO!
Watching last week I got to see the early games then AZ. It was SOOOOO obvious watching the early RB's vs DJ. DJ is way slower than all of them. DJ also falls on first contact. He has no effort to make any extra yards. It's as if he 'wants' to go down. He reminds me of Beanie Wells.
Watch this Sunday with a new set of eyes and you'll see
1- DJ when he gets the hand off - he's super slow to get going
2 - he will fall down the second he's touched - I'm not talking a full tackle -as soon as a hand hits him his knees buckle and he starts to go down. It's so obvious he's trying to 'save himself'
3 - he's nowhere near elite ...he's barely an NFL RB if you can call him that....he's more of an oversized skat back who can't run the ball.
open your eyes and look Sunday....if you can remember this you'll see it too.

Cardinals couldn't even get a 4th round pick for DJ if they begged

DJ is the NEW and not improved Beanie Wells

Look at Beanie Wells stats for his last year 2012 - they're identical to David Johnson right now.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave