It's a KK problem....Not a KM problem.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Once the team is avg 24+ pts a game it starts to get easier to say we aren't winning games because of the D.
Got be top 5 offense to overcome a defense giving up 29pts & 400 plus yards a game. At end of last season only Chiefs, Saints & Rams averaged over 30 pts a game.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Got be top 5 offense to overcome a defense giving up 29pts & 400 plus yards a game. At end of last season only Chiefs, Saints & Rams averaged over 30 pts a game.

I never mentioned 29 pts. I said unless the offense can score 24 pts or more you can't blame it all on the D whether the D gives up 24 pts or 44 in a game. The avg offense scores 24 pts.

Bottom line is if our offense can't score 24 PPG avg then we don't have a good offense. If we had a bears level D we could get a handful of wins with 21 PPG but that still wouldn't mean the offense was doing good, it just means the D is carrying weight for the offense.

I think most expectations was if this team would win more than 4 or 5 games it would be because the offense was carrying weight for our D, not the other way around.

My threshold for success this year is not how many wins we get, but how much we score because this year was about creating an above avg offense. I didn't see any hype that our D was going to impress anyone this year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I never mentioned 29 pts. I said unless the offense can score 24 pts or more you can't blame it all on the D whether the D gives up 24 pts or 44 in a game. The avg offense scores 24 pts.

Bottom line is if our offense can't score 24 PPG avg then we don't have a good offense. If we had a bears level D we could get a handful of wins with 21 PPG but that still wouldn't mean the offense was doing good, it just means the D is carrying weight for the offense.

I think most expectations was if this team would win more than 4 or 5 games it would be because the offense was carrying weight for our D, not the other way around.

My threshold for success this year is not how many wins we get, but how much we score because this year was about creating an above avg offense. I didn't see any hype that our D was going to impress anyone this year.
It's not just about total points scored. The defense gave up a score directly after every time the offense scored points.

Those are momentum killers and if they could just get a couple stops after the offense scores than the offense would have the chance to really get on a roll and potentially wear out the opposing defense.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I care if he throws for 500 yards. 21 points per game compared to the crap we watched last year is a huge improvement. This is a team obviously still lacking in talent. Without K1, the offense would be considerably worse.

This team could very easily win less games than last year. I'm not sure I would call things much of an improvement if we equal or do worse than a 3-13 record.

Yes the offense has gone from awful to mediocre. They have shown flashes at times but have also been putrid.(much of Lions game, 4th quarter Carolina).

the defense is terrible, but it often was as well during the Kurt Warner years. In order for this team to win games the offense will have to be much better than mediocre.

Also, you can't blame the defense for the Baltimore loss. Had Murray and the offense actually converted some in the red zone, the Cards win.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This team could very easily win less games than last year. I'm not sure I would call things much of an improvement if we equal or do worse than a 3-13 record.

Yes the offense has gone from awful to mediocre. They have shown flashes at times but have also been putrid.(much of Lions game, 4th quarter Carolina).

the defense is terrible, but it often was as well during the Kurt Warner years. In order for this team to win games the offense will have to be much better than mediocre.

Also, you can't blame the defense for the Baltimore loss. Had Murray and the offense actually converted some in the red zone, the Cards win.
Well if you simply compare the first 3 games of each season than we have been hugely improved overall over last year.

Last year we were 0-3 and were outscored 74-20 in those 3 games. This year we are 0-2-1 and have been outscored 88-64.

Overall that is far more competitive than the team that started last season and we should expect the team to get at least marginally better as the season progresses.

Ultimately when you are rebuilding a team it can't simply be about wins and losses as there will always be a handful of games that are about 50/50 to win and some years you get some lucky breaks and win a good amount of those and sometimes things don't go your way.

That is quite often the difference between a team being 10-6 one year and 7-9 or 8-8 the next. Last year we had about 6 of those games and won 3 and so far this year we have had at least 2 so far (Detroit and Baltimore), but just haven't gotten it to go our way thus far.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Well if you simply compare the first 3 games of each season than we have been hugely improved overall over last year.

Last year we were 0-3 and were outscored 74-20 in those 3 games. This year we are 0-2-1 and have been outscored 88-64.

Overall that is far more competitive than the team that started last season and we should expect the team to get at least marginally better as the season progresses.

Ultimately when you are rebuilding a team it can't simply be about wins and losses as there will always be a handful of games that are about 50/50 to win and some years you get some lucky breaks and win a good amount of those and sometimes things don't go your way.

That is quite often the difference between a team being 10-6 one year and 7-9 or 8-8 the next. Last year we had about 6 of those games and won 3 and so far this year we have had at least 2 so far (Detroit and Baltimore), but just haven't gotten it to go our way thus far.

Agreed. Which is why the second half of the season will tell us quite a bit. Both sides of the ball should improve it the team is headed in the right direction. The offense should be more consistent and getting Peterson back will help some on defense. If the team goes 3-5 or 4-4 in the final 8 games, I will be somewhat optimistic.

Finishing 2-6 or worse with a couple blowouts will not be good.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When your offense sucks this bad...Your defense is on the field WAY too much.

Not saying the defense isn't a large part of the problem, but the offense hasn't helped them out much.

Seriously? Did you even watch the game?

Offense played well until the 4th quarter. The defense stunk the whole game!

OP
OP
S

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seriously? Did you even watch the game?

Offense played well until the 4th quarter. The defense stunk the whole game!

Seriously...did any of you read the whole post?

I said the Defense obviously sucks.. But I was expecting better from KK.
If you guys are thrilled with 21 points a game...More power to ya!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Seriously...did any of you read the whole post?

I said the Defense obviously sucks.. But I was expecting better from KK.
If you guys are thrilled with 21 points a game...More power to ya!
It's not about being thrilled with 21 points per game.

It's about enjoying the fact that we are significantly better on offense than last year and should only get better.

I doubt we will be happy if we look exactly the same at the end of the year as we have looked at the beginning, but it's a process.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not about being thrilled with 21 points per game.

It's about enjoying the fact that we are significantly better on offense than last year and should only get better.

I doubt we will be happy if we look exactly the same at the end of the year as we have looked at the beginning, but it's a process.

At this point... 3 wins seems like a tough row to hoe....
If we win 1 or 2 games this year... Will that be progress still?

The bar on offense was set so ridiculously low last year, I can see why some of you guys are optimistic.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At this point... 3 wins seems like a tough row to hoe....
If we win 1 or 2 games this year... Will that be progress still?

The bar on offense was set so ridiculously low last year, I can see why some of you guys are optimistic.
Hard to say as wins and losses don't tell the whole story. The only time that wins and losses become the barometer of success is when you are competing for the playoffs.

Otherwise it is about what you are seeing on the field more than the final score of the games and so far at least the offense has been significantly improved over last season.

The defense looked somewhat passable in the first 2 games, but got trounced in week 3. If the first 2 weeks are a more accurate depiction of what they are and they get better with the return of PP and Alford than the team as a whole could be significantly better than last year even if the record is similar.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave