Franchise took a big step back today

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sherfields miss looked exactly like the TD catch Mecole Hardman had for the Chiefs. I'm confident that he missed it due to talent, not placement.

And that bomb happened in real-time-slo-motion for me. I couldn't believe how perfect it was. The drop was so demoralizing for me.

173 yards to 250 yards (at least) just like that. Over 8.43ypa to under 5.8ypa just like that. And 74% comp rate to 69.8 as well.

More good days will come friends..... I am confident of that.
Thats 7 to 11 points we missed out on because of drops. Changes the entire game, forced us to abandon the run and allowed the Panthers to pin their ears back.

Kyler's gotta learn this isn't the Big 12 (despite how the defense looked) trying to get everything back after the McCaffrey TD.

As I posted in another thread...the Panthers had 10 days to prepare for our offense. They finally shut us down in the late 3rd/4th. It happens.

Next few weeks will tell us if there's reason to be overly concerned or not.

Last edited:

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Last year broke me. I’ve always been overly positive.

Hell, there’s even one year I thought Jason McAddley could be a #1 receiver. Matt Leinart a franchise QB. There were old Cardinals teams where I was seriously looking at the schedule with 8 losses on the schedule convincing myself the Cardinals could win out.

I thought last year was going to be solid, that we had a chance to continue some Arians years. We looked so putrid that I had to stop and finally look at the destruction Keim inflicted on the roster. And then to hire a LOSING college coach? Draft the shortest QB in the first round in NFL history? Sink a ton of cost while doing so?

I just can’t be bright when I disagree with everything.

I wasn’t surprised last year. I didn’t think it was going to be as bad as it was but I was expecting them to have a poor season. Let’s be honest here when coaching candidates are voluntarily removing themselves from consideration or declining second interviews it’s pretty bad.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I wasn’t surprised last year. I didn’t think it was going to be as bad as it was but I was expecting them to have a poor season. Let’s be honest here when coaching candidates are voluntarily removing themselves from consideration or declining second interviews it’s pretty bad.
It’s bad, sure, but everything has a reason, and it came to QB. I wonder if you could have guaranteed to a coach that we’d have drafted one of the top four guys if it would have been different.

I didn’t think we were going to be Arians good, but I thought we were going to compete.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sherfields miss looked exactly like the TD catch Mecole Hardman had for the Chiefs. I'm confident that he missed it due to talent, not placement.

And that bomb happened in real-time-slo-motion for me. I couldn't believe how perfect it was. The drop was so demoralizing for me.

173 yards to 250 yards (at least) just like that. Over 8.43ypa to under 5.8ypa just like that. And 74% comp rate to 69.8 as well.

More good days will come friends..... I am confident of that.

Brought back memories of how nicely Lomax would drop the ball so softly into Roy Green's arms on the long throws. Only Green always seemed to have more separation. That's the thing I saw watching Murray last year. He can laser the ball on the shorter/midrange routes & drop it in softly on the longer ones. The Cardinals still need a #1 receiver. IMO, Kirk is a nice #2. A flat out stud #1 would make Murray's job much easier.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He got us two fourth quarter comeback victories. How many's KM had thus far? ;)

Yes he did. One was against a crippled Niners team. The other was against the Packers when the Packers dropped 2 gift interceptions on our winning drive. But I did love his final drive against the Niners. His laser to Kirk was sweet & what a catch by Kirk too! Just too few moments. Murray has already shown more in 3 weeks than Rosen did all season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brought back memories of how nicely Lomax would drop the ball so softly into Roy Green's arms on the long throws. Only Green always seemed to have more separation. That's the thing I saw watching Murray last year. He can laser the ball on the shorter/midrange routes & drop it in softly on the longer ones. The Cardinals still need a #1 receiver. IMO, Kirk is a nice #2. A flat out stud #1 would make Murray's job much easier.

The thing that stood out to me on that throw is that we really need a faster WR.

If thats Hollywood Brown or MeCole Hardman they would have had enough separation that Tre Boston wouldn't have had any influence on that play.

Could also make the case if we did have a speed threat on the team that maybe that would have occupied Boston's attention enough that Kirk could have slipped by.

Now he still should have caught it.

I may be in the minority on this. However, I was hoping Hollywood Brown slipped to the 2nd round or we traded up for him. Even with as bad as the secondary is and would be even worse without Murphy.....I wanted Hollywood.

What sucks is the Dolphins traded down and then trading their 2nd round pick instead of just trading us the pick at their original spot. I still have hope for *Isabella* , but I really want to know what player they would have drafted there.

Curious if we ever hear why they passed on DK Metcalf.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that stood out to me on that throw is that we really need a faster WR.

If thats Hollywood Brown or MeCole Hardman they would have had enough separation that Tre Boston wouldn't have had any influence on that play.

Could also make the case if we did have a speed threat on the team that maybe that would have occupied Boston's attention enough that Kirk could have slipped by.

Now he still should have caught it.

I may be in the minority on this. However, I was hoping Hollywood Brown slipped to the 2nd round or we traded up for him. Even with as bad as the secondary is and would be even worse without Murphy.....I wanted Hollywood.

What sucks is the Dolphins traded down and then trading their 2nd round pick instead of just trading us the pick at their original spot. I still have hope for Amendola, but I really want to know what player they would have drafted there.

Curious if we ever hear why they passed on DK Metcalf.
You still have hope for who?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, no, it's not. It's also on the players, because they sucked too. Including KM, who was putrid. I mean, putrid. Sure, there were a few flashes, but dear God, did he suck.

KM was running scared. You could tell he didn't trust his line to protect him and he panicked. I thought that it was clear that is what was going on. Did nobody else see it that way or was it just me?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
KM was running scared. You could tell he didn't trust his line to protect him and he panicked. I thought that it was clear that is what was going on. Did nobody else see it that way or was it just me?
Panic is the appropriate word. He did not have an answer when he tried to out athlete the Panthers defense at the end of the game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Panic is the appropriate word. He did not have an answer when he tried to out athlete the Panthers defense at the end of the game.

Exactly. It's like a doctor treating the symptoms, not the disease. WHY did he panic? Why were we down by double digits again in the 4th quarter? Why can't our defense stop allow the other team from scoring touchdowns over and over again?

How much of all of that was really on Kyler? Who knows for sure, but it isn't only on Kyler. I don't know why some posters can't see that. (to quote your own words)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

When a superior defense can pin back their ears against an inferior OL in desperation time, the QB is up against it. Panic is more appropriate than scared. K1 was frustrated no doubt.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly. It's like a doctor treating the symptoms, not the disease. WHY did he panic? Why were we down by double digits again in the 4th quarter? Why can't our defense stop allow the other team from scoring touchdowns over and over again?

How much of all of that was really on Kyler? Who knows for sure, but it isn't only on Kyler. I don't know why some posters can't see that. (to quote your own words)

We were only down by 8 and KM threw a pick at the end of the 3rd that let them start at our 22 yard line and resulted in a TD. That was why we were down by double digits early in the 4th.

75% of D's gave up 21 PPG or more in 2018, so expecting anything less than that with our D is unrealistic. Not saying D gave us a chance with at 38 pts, but 10 pts were gifted off easy TOs putting them near the red zone. Take those off the board and it was still a 1 score game. 28 pts is more than our D can give up, but that is the give and take of the game. Sometimes your D doesn't do it's part and the O steps up and wins the game and sometimes the reverse happens. In this case the offense nor the defense carried their own weight, so it was loss.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Exactly. I'm glad we're in agreement. He needs to learn how to NOT panic and trust the pocket. Which he has ample time to do.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Yes he did. One was against a crippled Niners team. The other was against the Packers when the Packers dropped 2 gift interceptions on our winning drive. But I did love his final drive against the Niners. His laser to Kirk was sweet & what a catch by Kirk too! Just too few moments. Murray has already shown more in 3 weeks than Rosen did all season.

So you don’t want to count those but you want to count the two drops Sunday towards KMs yards and projected points. If we count every drop the kid has this year he’s gonna have the most yards in the league. Drops happen to every time at every time in a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So you don’t want to count those but you want to count the two drops Sunday towards KMs yards and projected points. If we count every drop the kid has this year he’s gonna have the most yards in the league. Drops happen to every time at every time in a game.

They were playing a dink and dunk gameplan and what would have been the two longest completions of the game were drops. Those drops had much more of an impact on his stats than most drops do.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
They were playing a dink and dunk gameplan and what would have been the two longest completions of the game were drops. Those drops had much more of an impact on his stats than most drops do.

Sorry doesn’t matter that drop could have been a game winning TD doesn’t change the W-L record. Welcome to the club along with the other 31 QBs who have drops every game. I’d rather deal in what actually happened then twist things just to fit a narrative. He had 3 good Qtrs and a amazingly bad 4th. Is what it is, I’m looking forward to drafting a T in April.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry doesn’t matter that drop could have been a game winning TD doesn’t change the W-L record. Welcome to the club along with the other 31 QBs who have drops every game. I’d rather deal in what actually happened then twist things just to fit a narrative. He had 3 good Qtrs and a amazingly bad 4th. Is what it is, I’m looking forward to drafting a T in April.

LOL, how is saying that he would have much more yards if it weren't for the drops twisting things to fit a narrative? Did I say they would have won if those balls were caught?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they still lost the game with catches being made.

Also yes all teams have drops, but when people are complaining about his YPA in a game where the game plan was to throw short it seems silly not to consider that he lost like 80 yards by 2 of his few deep attempts being dropped.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
LOL, how is saying that he would have much more yards if it weren't for the drops twisting things to fit a narrative? Did I say they would have won if those balls were caught?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they still lost the game with catches being made.

Also yes all teams have drops, but when people are complaining about his YPA in a game where the game plan was to throw short it seems silly not to consider that he lost like 80 yards by 2 of his few deep attempts being dropped.

People are also complaining about how we can’t cover a TE. Take away Greg Olson and the cards win that game. Reality doesn’t work in what could of happened. If someone pushes santonio holmes we have a SB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Sherfield's drop wasn't projected points. There was no one near him & he could have walked into the end zone. With the Cardinal's overall lack of talent on defense, they have a razor thin margin of error to win games. Some have criticized his 70% completion rate because HIS COACH'S game plan consisted of dinks & dunks which considerably lowered his total passing yardage. Carolina's defensive schemes take the longer stuff away. KK strategized perfectly against that D & K1 led us to 4 long, time consuming drives. 2 resulted in touchdowns & the other 2 we had to settle for fg's due to the drops. The dink & dunk worked beautifully against that style of D, in addition to hopefully keeping our depleted D better rested. KK's strategy lured Carolina's D in, and opened up a couple of longer opportunities. Dropping those passes damaged our element of surprise. Once we were behind late, it forced us into obvious passing situations & a defense like Carolina's will feast on a lousy OL in those situations. Seattle will pose a similar problem for us. Once a superior D knows what you need to do in desperation time, an inferior OL is in deep doo doo.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Top QBs can't panic. His reaction is an issue, and is something he is going to have to correct. The NFL isn't always going to be easy, and if he can't calm himself in the storm, he is never going to be anything more than an over-drafted, league average QB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Top QBs can't panic. His reaction is an issue, and is something he is going to have to correct. The NFL isn't always going to be easy, and if he can't calm himself in the storm, he is never going to be anything more than an over-drafted, league average QB.

Every single great QB that has ever walked the earth panicked early in their career. Every single one of them! Your concern over K1 is misguided and blown way out of proportion.