Kyler Murray Stat Line

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't know about the media there, I clearly don't live in Phoenix anymore, but it feels like your parents picking you up early from school to go to Disneyland and instead getting your wisdom teeth out.

That's a bit extreme with Kyler, but it's the first #1 overall pick in our franchise's history, and people/posters were screaming praise from the heavens like he couldn't fail.

"He might really put this together, let's give him a chance," is for a guy you take at #10-#20, not the #1 overall pick in the draft, who is ideally supposed to be so overwhelmingly great that every other team would have chosen him if they had the chance. It still feels like the Cardinals took a guy not every other team - even with need at QB - would have chosen first.
And it has been posted on here over and over that plenty of #1 overall picks have struggled in their rookie season's.

Murray is playing better than quite a few other #1 overal QBs before him and they ended up having HoF career's.

Obviously this does not mean that Murray is going to be a HoF player, but it means that maybe we can cut him some slack and give him some room for growth and not act like he is disapointing because he isn't playing lights out in his first 3 NFL games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Murray deserves a chance without the hype and without expectations. Compare him to his peers — if he falls short, criticize him; if he succeeds, celebrate him.

What I tried to do after draft day is determine what benchmark we should use to measure Murray against. I landed on Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson.

After watching him play and seeing how tentative he is about using his legs, I’m looking at Matt Stafford and Jameis Winston.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And it has been posted on here over and over that plenty of #1 overall picks have struggled in their rookie season's.

Murray is playing better than quite a few other #1 overal QBs before him and they ended up having HoF career's.

Obviously this does not mean that Murray is going to be a HoF player, but it means that maybe we can cut him some slack and give him some room for growth and not act like he is disapointing because he isn't playing lights out in his first 3 NFL games.
It's not all about Kyler, by any means. It's the stark reality that this offseason's wild, mysterious moves, that made us the talk of the speculative town on national sports media, mean just about nothing. Our mysterious, under-lock-and-key offense looks alright in spurts? Alright, I guess, but I just can't blame anyone for being disappointed as all hell when this year's results aren't looking entirely different than the Cardinals of old.

You'd sure love your "I'm the smartest guy in the room" moves show early returns instead of "I promise, you'll see."

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Disliking someone because the consensus likes them gotta be top tier level of idiocy.

Worshipping someone for nothing accomplished is also top level idiocy IMO. I’m still waiting to see this vaunted secret air raid attack.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Rather the offense from last year? Or BA offense you guys were giddy of getting rid of too? Make up your ******* minds

last year Cards didn`t have the TOP PICK OF THE WHOLE DRAFT. The anointed one who is going to transform the NFl and avoid being sacked because of his awesome generational pocket presence and all world elusiveness and never throw interceptions because of his awe-inspiring accuracy.:shrug:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't know about the media there, I clearly don't live in Phoenix anymore, but it feels like your parents picking you up early from school to go to Disneyland and instead getting your wisdom teeth out.

That's a bit extreme with Kyler, but it's the first #1 overall pick in our franchise's history, and people/posters were screaming praise from the heavens like he couldn't fail.

"He might really put this together, let's give him a chance," is for a guy you take at #10-#20, not the #1 overall pick in the draft, who is ideally supposed to be so overwhelmingly great that every other team would have chosen him if they had the chance. It still feels like the Cardinals took a guy not every other team - even with need at QB - would have chosen first.

I dont think any of Murrays supporters said he might put it together.

We all think he WILL. I've seen a lot of good things out of Murray already and everything he is doing wrong are easy fixes. You worry when a QB cant fit the ball into tight windows and struggles going through progressions. Murray can already do both pretty well. Hes had like 3-4 wow throws in every game so far.

The NFL has a bias against shorter QBs. It's a fact. I know I used to. I wouldnt even consider Wilson years ago because hes not even 5'11. I was wrong. Murrays height hasn't been his issue, it's mainly pocket presence. He needs to learn to step up and to get rid if the ball when he is running to the sideline if no play is there. He needs to trust his running ability more. He is often the fastest player on the field.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The thing to remember about Kyler is he threw 519 career passes in college.

For example, Rosen threw 1170.

Daniel Jones 1275

Russell Wilson threw 1489.

Right now Kyler has 137 passes in the NFL through 3 games (he averaged 27 throws in his last year. He's averaging 46 throws in the NFL). So we've got a guy with not a lot of experience reading/throwing/displaying pocket presence, etc and asking him to carry the offense. Even more so then he did at Oklahoma.

However, the potential is that for a guy without a lot of college reps he's growing. As I said earlier, I'm a guy who watched every snap in college and didn't he'd throw as well as he's doing now at this point.

No one will care about a few early struggles IF Kyler lives up to his potential. Kyler's path is kinda similar to Carson Wentz in that he didn't have a lot of reps in college, the start of rookie year was just "ok" but he grew into a great young QB.

Now obviously the Cards gotta build around Kyler like the Eagles did Wentz....

Kyler's just gotta keep improving. Get comfortable and we might have something...

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The thing to remember about Kyler is threw 519 career passes in college.

For example, Rosen threw 1170.

Daniel Jones 1275

Russell Wilson threw 1489.

Right now Kyler has 137 passes in the NFL through 3 games. So we've got a guy with not a lot of experience reading/throwing/displaying pocket presence, etc and asking him to carry the offense. Even more so then he did at Oklahoma.

However, the potential is that for a guy without a lot of college reps he's growing. As I said earlier, I'm a guy who watched every snap in college and didn't he'd throw as well as he's doing now at this point.

No one will care about a few early struggles IF Kyler lives up to his potential. Kyler's path is kinda similar to Carson Wentz in that he didn't have a lot of reps in college, the start of rookie year was just "ok" but he grew into a great young QB.

Now obviously the Cards gotta build around Kyler like the Eagles did Wentz....

Kyler's just gotta keep improving. Get comfortable and we might have something...

Yes. Many people here talked about his lack of experience in college being a red flag. Why are people acting like no one anticipated this?

If Kyler Murray turns into Carson Wentz over the next four seasons, we're all going to be disappointed. Wentz is 4 games over .500 as a starter and hasn't completed a 16-game season since his rookie year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Many people here talked about his lack of experience in college being a red flag. Why are people acting like no one anticipated this?

If Kyler Murray turns into Carson Wentz over the next four seasons, we're all going to be disappointed. Wentz is 4 games over .500 as a starter and hasn't completed a 16-game season since his rookie year.
Idk about that...I'd gladly take Carson Wentz...

Edit: Again Wentz could just be injury prone. There's no indication that Kyler is or isn't. However, as a QB I think Wentz is really good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Idk about that...I'd gladly take Carson Wentz...

Edit: Again Wentz could just be injury prone. There's no indication that Kyler is or isn't. However, as a QB I think Wentz is really good.

He was 13th in DVOA last season. Again, if we took a gamble on a QB who's going to end up in the middle third of NFL QBs, everyone should be disappointed, no matter what part of the country you're from.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean, if he turns into 2017 Carson Wentz without the injury, then that would be awesome.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I mean, if he turns into 2017 Carson Wentz without the injury, then that would be awesome.

It would be awesome if David Johnson continued having the best season of his career every year, but I don't think that it's fair or reasonable to assume that someone's going to repeat their best season every year. David Johnson didn't, and neither did Carson Wentz.

And that's okay! Tom Brady never matched his 2007 season, but in the 10 seasons(!!!!) since he tore his knee up, he's AVERAGED over 4400 yards, 33TDs and 9 INTs a year. That's wild.

Remember when people were like "Imagine if Michael Vick could pass like Dan Marino — that's Kyler Murray" before the draft? If you want a reason that people are mad online, its because that's not what the Cards have gotten so far. That's an unreasonable expectation, but some people don't really want to admit that they overhyped the kid and he hasn't been that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be awesome if David Johnson continued having the best season of his career every year, but I don't think that it's fair or reasonable to assume that someone's going to repeat their best season every year. David Johnson didn't, and neither did Carson Wentz.

And that's okay! Tom Brady never matched his 2007 season, but in the 10 seasons(!!!!) since he tore his knee up, he's AVERAGED over 4400 yards, 33TDs and 9 INTs a year. That's wild.

Remember when people were like "Imagine if Michael Vick could pass like Dan Marino — that's Kyler Murray" before the draft? If you want a reason that people are mad online, its because that's not what the Cards have gotten so far. That's an unreasonable expectation, but some people don't really want to admit that they overhyped the kid and he hasn't been that.
The thing about Wentz is I think he's going to improve as well. So for the next 10 years or so you've got a franchise QB.

If you look at guys like Brady, Big Ben and Russell Wilson even when winning Super Bowls...those guys were considered game mangers for like their first 5 or 6 years.

Its rare to find the Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck type QBs. Now Keim put that kind of pressure on Kyler and I get being letdown if hes not that caliber of player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The thing about Wentz is I think he's going to improve as well. So for the next 10 years or so you've got a franchise QB.

If you look at guys like Brady, Big Ben and Russell Wilson even when winning Super Bowls...those guys were considered game mangers for like their first 5 or 6 years.

Its rare to find the Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck type QBs. Now Keim put that kind of pressure on Kyler and I get being letdown if hes not that caliber of player.

I agree: you should have higher expectations for #1 overall picks than you do for 6th round picks, Top 15 picks, and 3rd round picks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No doubt that Wentz is an outstanding QB. I see the Eagles winning a couple more SB's with him under center. Pederson is an outstanding HC too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow...are you implying this is another indicator that sticking with Rosen would have been a better option if we would have just added better WRs for him? He is getting even less support than Murray!!!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After their first 3 starts

75 QB rating

65/122 846 yards 5 tds 4 ints 80 yards rushing

79 QB rating

84/137 830 yards 4 tds 3 ints 86 yards rushing

Any guesses as to who QB 1 and QB 2 are?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
After their first 3 starts

75 QB rating

65/122 846 yards 5 tds 4 ints 80 yards rushing

79 QB rating

84/137 830 yards 4 tds 3 ints 86 yards rushing

Any guesses as to who QB 1 and QB 2 are?
QB2 is Murray, but not sure who QB1 is.