Ayton's Sophomore Season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns’ Deandre Ayton says PF is his ‘born-and-raised position’

Later in his high school career, he became infatuated with the idea of being a power forward, which has continued to this day, despite the fact that modern basketball has gone in the opposite direction. The fact that he’s listed as a “forward” by Arizona and is starting and playing heavy minutes alongside another 7-footer, Dusan Ristic, is not an accident. It’s entirely by his own design.

In order to do that all the time, however, Ayton has to be in better shape and that was his number one focus this offseason.

“Basically my cardio,” he said.

I have no problem with him at PF, as long as he becomes the dominant PF in the game. Just cruising at PF during the game is not an option.

I do like Deandre acknowledging he needs to be in better shape this season. Let's see where this goes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns’ Deandre Ayton says PF is his ‘born-and-raised position’

I have no problem with him at PF, as long as he becomes the dominant PF in the game. Just cruising at PF during the game is not an option.

I do like Deandre acknowledging he needs to be in better shape this season. Let's see where this goes.

Is that from this year? he's talking about Ristic so he's talking about playing in college, is that where the cardio comment was too?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks. Yeah if I were a Suns coach that stuff would actually concern me. Ayton's very talented but the more he's talking about shooting 3's and bringing the ball upcourt the more I wonder if he gets how good he could be in the paint if he chose to be. Ironically that's exactly what KG went through, when he came into the league the T Wolves saw his eventual position as the 5 as he grew into it, he saw his eventual position as the 3. He had a terrific career but there was a clear situation where over time the T Wolves had to accept he does not want to be a 5 and he's so good defensively he can actually guard the 4 or the 3 so they played him there.

at the end of the day you want to just play him and his position will be determined by who he can guard.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
eh we shall see how in shape Ayton is this season. Words so far. I remember he looked gassed a lot this past season, and what was weird that he never played himself into shape. He seemed that way all season.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea. I think he gets pushed around by PFs in this league. Not to mention that now more than ever you need a PF to stretch things out which is why the Suns evidently made the moves they did at PF. Ayton isn't a stretch guy. You can get away with that much more in college. The Suns wanted Saric and Johnson for that purpose. Those moves make no sense now. We should have gone after different players at those positions then.

You could play Kaminky and Ayton at the same time but that will seriously slow the open court down. Not to mention that Kaminsky shoots 35% at the 3. So it makes more sense to put him at the four than it does Ayton if you want to go down that path.

If this is for tiny stretches that is one thing but Ayton appears to want it to be his normal position. I think it's not going to play out well if Ayton gets his way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't like the idea. I think he gets pushed around by PFs in this league. Not to mention that now more than ever you need a PF to stretch things out which is why the Suns evidently made the moves they did at PF. Ayton isn't a stretch guy. You can get away with that much more in college. The Suns wanted Saric and Johnson for that purpose. Those moves make no sense now. We should have gone after different players at those positions then.

You could play Kaminky and Ayton at the same time but that will seriously slow the open court down. Not to mention that Kaminsky shoots 35% at the 3. So it makes more sense to put him at the four than it does Ayton if you want to go down that path.

If this is for tiny stretches that is one thing but Ayton appears to want it to be his normal position. I think it's not going to play out well if Ayton gets his way.
Which power forwards will push him around? The position barely exists anymore.

I don’t understand how power forwards will push him around, yet centers won’t? Who are traditionally larger guys?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which power forwards will push him around? The position barely exists anymore.

I don’t understand how power forwards will push him around, yet centers won’t? Who are traditionally larger guys?

Let me clarify I mean under the rim. One of the knocks on him is that even against centers he played too soft around the rim. Not really powerful. You think shorter, stronger and lower center of gravity players are going to make it easier for him to get closer to the rim? I don't.

Having said that, that is only one concern not all the concerns why this doesn't make sense unless it's used in a very limited way IMO.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On offense if he wants to be Sam Perkins I guess I'm fine with it. We still need someone down low doing dirty with though. I'm sorry but on defense we need him to protect the rim and learn to love it. I can't see us becoming a playoff team without him anchoring the middle on d.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bigger issue is if Deandre Ayton wants to play power forward and he becomes unhappy about playing center.

Hopefully it doesn't become an Anthony Davis situation down the road. Davis wants to play power forward but his game is better suited to playing center.

If Ayton plays better as a center, the Suns need to convince him that it will further his career playing there.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/1...more-i-like-playing-power-forward-not-center/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bigger issue is if Deandre Ayton wants to play power forward and he becomes unhappy about playing center.

Hopefully it doesn't become an Anthony Davis situation down the road. Davis wants to play power forward but his game is better suited to playing center.

If Ayton plays better as a center, the Suns need to convince him that it will further his career playing there.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/1...more-i-like-playing-power-forward-not-center/
Naw. Just tell him we are going with a 2 pf line up and move on. That's kind of what the modern NBA center is anyway. It's just semantics.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that Ayton adopts more of a Tim Duncan attitude. He played where he was needed no matter what position. If that means mostly center fine.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton did say in that video that he has been working on his conditioning and the three ball.

Neither of those things are going to hurt him any.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton did say in that video that he has been working on his conditioning and the three ball.

Neither of those things are going to hurt him any.
Unless he falls in love with the three ball and doesn’t maximize his physical gifts. I fear this is more softness exhibiting itself. Doesn’t want to wrestle with the big uglies.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
a modern big plays both positions, nothing to see here

those positions are merging more and more into same profile of a big man.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless he falls in love with the three ball and doesn’t maximize his physical gifts. I fear this is more softness exhibiting itself. Doesn’t want to wrestle with the big uglies.

I dont think our current coach would utilized Ayton like that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
a modern big plays both positions, nothing to see here

those positions are merging more and more into same profile of a big man.

Kind of true to an extent.

Remember when the Magics draft board was leaked and they had three positions? Guard, Wing, Big. That's how the game is going.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These comments from Ayton are, imo, the worst thing from the offseason possible.

Listen to the new episode of The Timeline, at least the part where they discuss Ayton making the PF comments. That starts about 13 minutes in and it goes on for 7-8 minutes. They talk in detail about Ayton's comment, his demeanor, and what to expect from him. They're familiar with Ayton and discuss how he talks to the press and they believe there is a lot more being made of the comments than there is to worry about. I know I was very disappointed reading that the other day but after listening to the podcast today that dug deeper into it, I'm not nearly as concerned and don't see it as an issue to worry about.

Here's a link to the podcast on Youtube, it should be queued up to start where they start discussing the Ayton/PF talk. It's right about 13 minute mark and continues until the 21 minute mark, I believe. I posted a link to the podcast in the training camp thread also but figured I'd post it here with it at the part where Ayton's discussed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Listen to the new episode of The Timeline, at least the part where they discuss Ayton making the PF comments. That starts about 13 minutes in and it goes on for 7-8 minutes. They talk in detail about Ayton's comment, his demeanor, and what to expect from him. They're familiar with Ayton and discuss how he talks to the press and they believe there is a lot more being made of the comments than there is to worry about. I know I was very disappointed reading that the other day but after listening to the podcast today that dug deeper into it, I'm not nearly as concerned and don't see it as an issue to worry about.

Here's a link to the podcast on Youtube, it should be queued up to start where they start discussing the Ayton/PF talk. It's right about 13 minute mark and continues until the 21 minute mark, I believe. I posted a link to the podcast in the training camp thread also but figured I'd post it here with it at the part where Ayton's discussed.

Thx

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good. Ayton can hit the outside shot. Makes him a more dynamic weapon.

That said, with Rubio at PG, his best offensive contribution will be in pick-and-roll. Ayton is a goofy guy, but he's very coachable. Take what he says in the media with a grain of salt. He'll play wherever Monty tells him to play.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd put this here instead of the training camp thread. Here is an interview with Ayton from media day. It's almost 9 minutes and he's interviewed by Tom Chambers and Tom Leander, worth a watch. I really hope he can deliver and be the player that most thought he'd be when drafted, and who he sees himself as.

https://www.nba.com/suns/video/2019/10/1/suns-media-day-deandre-ayton#