Kyler Murray Stat Line

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After all the hype and transcendent QB descriptions used by many here all summer/draft time the fact remains KM has flashed some talent but he has not lived up to the hype machine.There is no way a rational fan can honestly say that he has .Results have shown that fact.Some blame the defense,some blame the HC and some blame the QB.Some blame all the above.A few refuse to even say the QB had a poor game when it really got nitty gritty.
Again based on "advanced metrics"

He's only been poor in the Lions game. Even that one he was incredible in the 4th and OT.

He's playing well, but not well enough to win.

At Baltimore and Carolina are tough opponents to face when it gets nitty gritty.

Kyler needs to be better, but we also need another gamebreaker.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am in no way comparing KM as a rookie to any of these players OVERALL career. Just to make that clear. The point that I am making is thank goodness these teams were not all dramatic and overreacting to their rookies or things would have turned out different. This is in no way a comprehensive list I am sure people here can add more.

Jared Goff - 0-7. 5 TDs, 7 INTs
Manning - 29 INts, 26 TDs
Smith - 875 yards, one touchdown and 11 interceptions (not HOF but played 13, made probowl x3, MVP candidate 2017)
Aikman - 0-11, 9 TDs, 18 INTs
Bradshaw - 24 INTs, 6 TDs
Bledsoe - 5-7, 15 TD, 15 INT
Namath - 3-5-1
Sims - 6-5, 13 TD, 14 INTs
Elway - 4-6, 7 TD, 14 INTs
Fouts - 0-5-1, 6 TD, 13 INTs
Eli Manning - 1-6, 6 TD, 9 INTs
McNabb - 2-4, 8 TD, 7 INTs

Non-QBs that struggled as Rookies:

Jadeveon Clowney
Cris Carter
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Melvin Gordon
Arian Foster
Antonio Gates
London Fletcher
Priest Holmes
Joe Horn
James Harrison

Give the kid a chance to take his lumps and improve. I was not even high on KM before the draft but sheesh.

You are no doubt right. The kid needs to be given every chance to improve and become a QBOTF. Problem is, he was anointed as God before the season, and there are many posters doubling down by claiming he's doing great. Well, he's not doing great; he regressed, and badly, yesterday. Doesn't mean he won't come good, and it doesn't mean we should give up on him at all.

All those expectations of many on the board are what's causing this push back. Nothing more, nothing less.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am in no way comparing KM as a rookie to any of these players OVERALL career. Just to make that clear. The point that I am making is thank goodness these teams were not all dramatic and overreacting to their rookies or things would have turned out different. This is in no way a comprehensive list I am sure people here can add more.

Jared Goff - 0-7. 5 TDs, 7 INTs
Manning - 29 INts, 26 TDs
Smith - 875 yards, one touchdown and 11 interceptions (not HOF but played 13, made probowl x3, MVP candidate 2017)
Aikman - 0-11, 9 TDs, 18 INTs
Bradshaw - 24 INTs, 6 TDs
Bledsoe - 5-7, 15 TD, 15 INT
Namath - 3-5-1
Sims - 6-5, 13 TD, 14 INTs
Elway - 4-6, 7 TD, 14 INTs
Fouts - 0-5-1, 6 TD, 13 INTs
Eli Manning - 1-6, 6 TD, 9 INTs
McNabb - 2-4, 8 TD, 7 INTs

Non-QBs that struggled as Rookies:

Jadeveon Clowney
Cris Carter
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Melvin Gordon
Arian Foster
Antonio Gates
London Fletcher
Priest Holmes
Joe Horn
James Harrison

Give the kid a chance to take his lumps and improve. I was not even high on KM before the draft but sheesh.
Only two guys on this QB list are not retired...different era of football.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

He's only been poor in the Lions game. Even that one he was incredible in the 4th and OT.

At Baltimore and Carolina are tough opponents to face when it gets nitty gritty.

Carolina was winless coming in and Kyle Allen outplayed Kyler. Whatever the advanced metrics say in this game are to be taken with a grain of salt

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Carolina was winless coming in and Kyle Allen outplayed Kyler. Whatever the advanced metrics say in this game are to be taken with a grain of salt
Carolina probably beats Tampa and maybe even the Rams with decent QB play.

Our defense is terrible (what does that have to do with Kyler and Kyle Allen hitting open wrs?)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We see the line play differently. I see an average group that played average for a majority of the game. I see a QB who has terrible pocket mechanics from what I know of them which makes the line's job harder. You can disagree, but you aren't going to change my mind. I have been involved with football too much and had too many conversations with people who understand football to see it differently.

Kyler was pressing, big time. The line played somewhat decent for most of the game.

I am the captain of Team Kyler, and he deserves the lion share of the loss on offense, though Kirk's drop and Sheffield's drop were massive in the scope of the game.

Swearinger is done. He has played well in the past, but has largely been the worst defender on the team. Right now the Cardinals can only get to the passer via OLB consistently. The occasional bull rush by Peters isnt enough.

Kyle Allen played well, but he made the play that was there and too often the defense was out of position.

I had some hope for this defense. Peterson should help significantly since the team can put even more pressure up front and more bodies to stop the run, but I think it's still a bad defense.

Kyler is the future of the franchise and I still believe he is going to be the QB of the Cardinals ten years from now, but I think Keim's mismanagement is coming to a hear and it will be time to move on.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If only Kyler could play against our porous defense on Sundays. Unfortunately for us our defense has a knack for making QBs look amazing.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler was pressing, big time. The line played somewhat decent for most of the game.

I am the captain of Team Kyler, and he deserves the lion share of the loss on offense, though Kirk's drop and Sheffield's drop were massive in the scope of the game.

Swearinger is done. He has played well in the past, but has largely been the worst defender on the team. Right now the Cardinals can only get to the passer via OLB consistently. The occasional bull rush by Peters isnt enough.

Kyle Allen played well, but he made the play that was there and too often the defense was out of position.

I had some hope for this defense. Peterson should help significantly since the team can put even more pressure up front and more bodies to stop the run, but I think it's still a bad defense.

Kyler is the future of the franchise and I still believe he is going to be the QB of the Cardinals ten years from now, but I think Keim's mismanagement is coming to a hear and it will be time to move on.
The Sherfield drop, followed by the McCaffrey long run for the TD sent Kyler into press mode. He was doing fine until then.

There are a couple things wrong with what Keim did and what Kliff is doing.

Keim (in hindsight) maybe should have drafted some Olineman early and/or WRs thats ready to play. Gamebreakers like Hardman or Metcalfe would be huge for this team.

Kliff is not following the OU playbook for Kyler success. Thats having a strong running game to offset the defense.

Air Coryell believed in having a power run game.

If only Kyler could play against our porous defense on Sundays. Unfortunately for us our defense has a knack for making QBs look amazing.
If anything (for Kyler lovers and haters)

He might have looked like a generational talent...because he was going against our defense in practice, lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Sherfield drop, followed by the McCaffrey long run for the TD sent Kyler into press mode. He was doing fine until then.

There are a couple things wrong with what Keim did and what Kliff is doing.

Keim (in hindsight) maybe should have drafted some Olineman early and/or WRs thats ready to play. Gamebreakers like Hardman or Metcalfe would be huge for this team.

Kliff is not following the OU playbook for Kyler success. Thats having a strong running game to offset the defense.

Air Coryell believed in having a power run game.

If anything (for Kyler lovers and haters)

He might have looked like a generational talent...because he was going against our defense in practice, lol.

Rookie OL likely wouldnt have helped much at all. The problem is that Keim has missed on so many young OL and has ended up throwing big money at average OL talent in FA and also guys with injury histories.

At least half the sacks were Murray's fault, he hasn't faced a good pass rush until the Texas and Alabama games last year and the past two games.

Instead of stepping up and avoiding the rush, he tries to spin out of the pressure and that rarely works. Hes also needs to learn when to give up on a play; he did it a few times in the first half, but started pressing once he got down.

All of Kyler's faults are correctable and most QBs make marked improvement in all of these categories with more reps.

I'm actually much more concerned about how poorly the offensive line has run blocked l.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised Palmer didn't talk more about Kyler not stepping up in the pocket Palmer was excellent at doing that. Kyler is harming the OL at times by not doing that.

On the should have drafted Metcalf, i have him on my fantasy team now, saw the end of their game, they just use him for jump balls, i can see why teams were mixed on him he has no idea what he's doing out there, doesn't know how to run routes etc. You'll never find a bigger Metcalf fan than me, Terry(grandfather) was my favorite player of all time, was thrilled we got Eric later in his career. DK has size and speed, but he's very unpolished. I'm sure we'd be playing him more than Isabella is, no question, but I was not that impressed with how ready he actually is. Seattle just tells him run fast and jump and get the ball you could see that Wilson at this point doesn't trust him to run routes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Dude, Kyler was GARBAGE from the 2:00 mark in the third quarter to the end of the game.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dude, Kyler was GARBAGE from the 2:00 mark in the third quarter to the end of the game.
Where have I said he was not?

He was garbage from the 2 min mark till the end of the game and still graded out positively.

That means he was playing very well for most of the game and then turned into sh*t.

The reverse of the Lions game.

Right now Kyler is the 17th ranked QB in QBR. That seems about right.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gotta get better in this area. Although they all share some similarities. All are short with below average Olines except Jackson.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right here:
There's a recurring theme of comprehension being an issue for you.

The only poor GAME he played was the Lions. (35 QBR)

He was awful for a Qrt and change against the Panthers.

The Lions game he was so awful through the first 3 Qrts that his outstanding 4th Qrt/OT still resulted in poor metrics.

His awful play in the 4th against the Panthers doesn't mean he was bad in the game overall.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta get better in this area. Although they all share some similarities. All are short with below average Olines except Jackson.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

How do they measure that? At least twice yesterday he stepped up and ran because it was wide open. It was a "clean Pocket" both times but he didn't see anybody in the middle so he took the first down. I'm fine with him doing that, especially because he's sliding.

That was the point I agreed with that Palmer made in that tape, Kyler is getting down and not getting hit, Lamar Jackson is taking hits. Jackson obviously playing much better right now but he's taking far more big hits than Murray is.

Wilson I don't know but again he's outstanding at stepping up in the pocket and if it's open yeah he'll run

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
How does the "Advanced metrics" measure him tripping over his own feet twice lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How do they measure that? At least twice yesterday he stepped up and ran because it was wide open. It was a "clean Pocket" both times but he didn't see anybody in the middle so he took the first down. I'm fine with him doing that, especially because he's sliding.

That was the point I agreed with that Palmer made in that tape, Kyler is getting down and not getting hit, Lamar Jackson is taking hits. Jackson obviously playing much better right now but he's taking far more big hits than Murray is.

Wilson I don't know but again he's outstanding at stepping up in the pocket and if it's open yeah he'll run
They have access to All 22 tape. So it was probably some plays in which a guy was open if he stayed patient in the pocket.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How does the "Advanced metrics" measure him tripping over his own feet twice lol
Oh that's easy I'll let it. The field is full of divots from stupid Rosen falling on his arse all last year. Murray will learn to navigate the shoddy field.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, most of the craters would be from Rosen's overthrown passes. Will be funny when the Dolphins take a QB #1 and he's out of the league after another year.