Franchise took a big step back today

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many people on this board arguing that this is normal for rookies who were drafted #1 overall.

Did you read this thread?

No, people are saying a rookie should be expected to play like a rookie #1 or not. KM isn't the first overall draft pick to have struggles their rookie years. CONTEXT.....you are taking things out of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No, people are saying a rookie should be expected to play like a rookie #1 or not. KM isn't the first overall draft pick to have struggles their rookie years. CONTEXT.....you are taking things out of it.
There is no rookie justification of his stat line being what it was when the game was on the line. CONTEXT...5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints is unacceptable of any NFL QB, rookie or not.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no rookie justification of his stat line being what it was when the game was on the line. CONTEXT...5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints is unacceptable of any NFL QB, rookie or not.

Says who? Your expectations are out of whack. I suggest you read up on NFL history. Plenty of rookie players that struggled went on to be great. He is 3 games into a rookie season where he is thrusted into leading this team without the benefit of playing behind a veteran while running an offense by a rookie coach and a team full of holes.

Just stop!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Says who? Your expectations are out of whack. I suggest you read up on NFL history. Plenty of rookie players that struggled went on to be great. He is 3 games into a rookie season where he is thrusted into leading this team without the benefit of playing behind a veteran while running an offense by a rookie coach and a team full of holes.

Just stop!
Nope.

I expect better that 5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints.

That is not an unrealistic expectation.

Players thrust into bad situations are expected to do better than that.

QBs behind bad offensive lines are expected to do better than that.

Backups get cut for that.

Starters get replaced for that.

Kyler Murray crumpled under the pressure of the moment and highlighted pre-draft concerns that many had regarding him. He had another chance to step up and he failed...again.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
He has to take his lumps. He's super talented and can throw the ball with pinpoint accuracy. Next year will be his year, this year is a big learning opportunity. Hopefully Keims ******* can draft some players to assist in that process next year and build around him.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
Nope.

I expect better that 5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints.

That is not an unrealistic expectation.

Players thrust into bad situations are expected to do better than that.

QBs behind bad offensive lines are expected to do better than that.

Backups get cut for that.

Starters get replaced for that.

Kyler Murray crumpled under the pressure of the moment and highlighted pre-draft concerns that many had regarding him. He had another chance to step up and he failed...again.

Agreed. This loss is on Kyler. He’s should never been a first round pick. Best bet is to cut ties and look toward 2020 draft

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jesus christ. I'm a pessimist by nature, but you guys are reminding me why I stopped checking this place. We're worth watching again, and that counts for something. Win or lose, at least **** feels different. It finally feels like we're building towards something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Having a dude who was cut from a practice squad torch you and outplay your heisman winning QB was worth watching? We may look flashier on offense compared to last year but almost 1 month into the NFL season and we don’t have a win.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How many yards rushing did our RB’s produce today?? Our oline is craptastic yet AGAIN... And DJ is simply not a dependable threat.

Murray had a bad game for sure. But he, AGAIN, had to deal with horrendous line play and a completely lack of a rushing attack... not to mention the critical drops and a defense that did nothing to help keep the game winnable...

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed. This loss is on Kyler. He’s should never been a first round pick. Best bet is to cut ties and look toward 2020 draft
Kyler did not play well today, but the defense gave up 38 points to a backup. Give me a break. Plenty of blame to go around.

I'd say in order this was the fault of: defense in general, DC for crappy game plan and no half time adjustment, Kyler for making bad decisions towards the end tied with this perpetually pathetic O-line, lack of run game (o-line again plus the neutered version DJ we get to make excuses for every week) WR drops that killed 2 big plays, and KK's now predictable offense.

Plenty of blame to go around today unfortunately. Wish it were just Kyler

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Air Raid made its mark by out scheming more talented teams... that was the absolute reason why it has the notoriety that it has... so either it doesn't translate to the NFL (despite the fact its concepts have been used for years) or CKK is having difficulty adjusting it.

I disagree... The air raid seems to have made its mark by exploiting the talent gaps in talent between receivers and defenders at the CFB level. Defense is already at a disadvantage before the ball is snapped. Throw 4 or 5 serviceable wideouts running those routes and a decent QB against an average CFB team that is not loaded with talent on D and they usually don't have enough quality DBs to bottle it up and can result in big plays.

Show me where Texas Tech was slaying giants by outscheming better talent on a regular basis. They virtually always lost to a ranked opponents while KK was there and when they played anyone out of conference with a pulse their offense no longer put big points on the board.

The operative word in your sentence was "concepts" because no one is running a full on Texas Tech style offense in the NFL and for good reason. It does not translate when you run it nearly every single down. There is too much talent on the D that it works best with mismatches which is why other teams sprinkle it in by setting up the mismatches on previous downs.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler did not play well today, but the defense gave up 38 points to a backup. Give me a break. Plenty of blame to go around.

I'd say in order this was the fault of: defense in general, DC for crappy game plan and no half time adjustment, Kyler for making bad decisions towards the end tied with this perpetually pathetic O-line, lack of run game (o-line again plus the neutered version DJ we get to make excuses for every week) WR drops that killed 2 big plays, and KK's now predictable offense.

5 drives.

15 plays.

Negative 12 yards.

3 punts.

2 ints

Kyler cost the game. QBs regularly get benched and cut for these performances. Jones, Allen, and Minshew have overcome equal adversity. As usual Kyler came up short

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree with all of the faults but not all in that order. Time of possession was nearly equal so D wasn't the reason our offense failed so bad. The offense needed to put up at least 24 pts to say they gave us a chance, and 28+ before they can think they are carrying water for the D. The D made it so even a quality outting for offense was not going to cut it, but both sides failed. I'm holding our offense to a higher standard because that was what SK went all in on with by hiring a failed CFB HC.

Last edited:

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
5 drives.

15 plays.

Negative 12 yards.

3 punts.

2 ints

Kyler cost the game. QBs regularly get benched and cut for these performances. Jones, Allen, and Minshew have overcome equal adversity. As usual Kyler came up short

Sorry I can't help myself.

What was the score before these 5 drives you mentioned?

Name me the last QB who was "cut" for a 2 INT half. Many good QB's have had far worse halves and not been benched, let alone cut. Please provide me this list.

I don't disagree Kyler sucked during the 2nd half, but I'm bored of ignorant fans who like to boil a complex game down to something their ignorance can comprehend like "a loss is on the QB no matter what." QB is the most important player but he's not the only player. Kyler deserves some blame but there's plenty to go around.

38 points dude.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We went balls deep for a coach and QB who were supposed to score 40+ a game, The shorthanded defense has kept their end of the bargain lol.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can’t think of a worse player than Swearinger these past 3 games. I really can’t.

D, I'm gonna second that by saying we should have flat out kept Tre Boston. I love DJ, he brings toughness and attitude, but he was bad last year as well for an awful Redskins team. Granted he was probably a bright spot for them. but that just illustrates how horrible THEY were.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was sure that Murray was our QBOTF and that KK could work but after this game I’m not so sure. Maybe I’m overreacting after a bad loss but I just feel so confused with this franchise . A part of me just wants to hit the reset button on everything .
Maybe yourey overreacting? Maybe? I've not heard of a much bigger overreaction tbh.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is every year faster
Our olb and ilb are pretty slow
Our safeties can't cover anyone
Budda baker is a short player who doesn't possess any ballhawk skills
We are playing with a rookie and depth guys as a starter

I would play the Thompson's at safeties
Budda baker as nickle corner and use him blitzing
Zeke turner, at Ilb
Reddick as a third downs pass rusher
I'd try Michael Dogbe in the defensive line rotation

I d use the 2 tigh end set and 3 wide outs
I d try Mason Cole at center

Then there is not much to do, our roster has big holes everywhere

Transition year

Next they have to replace almost every lineman

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
We might not beat anyone. It doesn’t matter. We are in the process of putting the train back on the tracks.

I understand what you're saying, and I mostly agree.

It's just the defense looks like last year's offense (will need a complete rebuild next season). I wasn't expecting that. Maybe getting PP and Alford back will help some.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree... The air raid seems to have made its mark by exploiting the talent gaps in talent between receivers and defenders at the CFB level. Defense is already at a disadvantage before the ball is snapped. Throw 4 or 5 serviceable wideouts running those routes and a decent QB against an average CFB team that is not loaded with talent on D and they usually don't have enough quality DBs to bottle it up and can result in big plays.

Show me where Texas Tech was slaying giants by outscheming better talent on a regular basis. They virtually always lost to a ranked opponents while KK was there and when they played anyone out of conference with a pulse their offense no longer put big points on the board.

The operative word in your sentence was "concepts" because no one is running a full on Texas Tech style offense in the NFL and for good reason. It does not translate when you run it nearly every single down. There is too much talent on the D that it works best with mismatches which is why other teams sprinkle it in by setting up the mismatches on previous downs.
TTU wasn't slaying "giants" but they were putting up a crapload of points, the problem with that was, without having a complimentary running attack that allows you to slow the pace of the game down and control the clock, you end up having to play a lot of defensive snaps as well...and the overall talent gap on that side of the ball becomes extremely vunerable when playing Texas or OU, OSU, etc...and they put the same crapload of points ... and more.

Washington State is a perfect example of that, UCLA is a train wreck and despite being up by 30 some odd points (cannot remember the exact score) UCLA was able to storm back after a few turnovers becausethe Air Raid does NOT have a grinding, ball control component built in.

I think we are saying the same thing Bojack.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mikey b is a confused owner today.. glad I'm just a fan. Hopefully he has a game plan long term.. for his and our sake. But I still think he is a committed owner to creating a winner, so I will always be optimistic for the future.. now, if we were under a sarver type regime that would be a different story. Haha
Michael Bidwill has to start thinking, not reacting.

I know bad management when I see it.

BA was too loose with the team, so Bidwill gets an authority figure in Wilks.

Wilks could not move the ball and was boring.

Bring in the new hype offense.

Sometimes its the boring guy who just gets the job done who is the best guy.

This organization is staring into some pretty dark times if this doesn't turn around

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy