Kyler Murray Stat Line

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I had no issues with Kyler's first half. I thought he looked as dynamic as he has all season. My issue is that we needed him to keep scoring points and he couldn't/didn't. Instead of being the reason we hung in the game, Murray let himself be one of the disappointments.
You’re right, a QB should answer every opposing teams score every time given the chance . . . said no knowledgeable football fan ever. But a rookie in his third game should, I know.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Trent needs to adjust to that ball if he wants to stay in the league.
No, he needs to avoid getting a penalty on special teams. Lets be honest, he’s not a wr in this league, he’s a special teamer. Proved that today.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You’re right, a QB should answer every opposing teams score every time given the chance . . . said no knowledgeable football fan ever. But a rookie in his third game should, I know.
Your right, a QB taken #1 overall should answer a TD that put the lead to 8 at the end of the third Q with 5 drives, consisting of 15 plays and resulting in negative 12 yards and two picks...said no knowledgeable football fan ever.

Come one man. I am not holding him to a high standard expecting better than that. Murray poo the bed. End of story.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And still got two hands on it and dropped it.

Yep. This team can't get the run going. They are still spreading the offense in scoring situations (have no power run game). The defense is making sure that we play from behind during crucial parts of the game. Could KM have played better? Sure but it's not even close to being on him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yep. This team can't get the run going. They are still spreading the offense in scoring situations (have no power run game). The defense is making sure that we play from behind during crucial parts of the game. Could KM have played better? Sure but it's not even close to being on him.
5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints is COMPLETELY on him. We were only down by 8 up to that point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 drives, 15 plays, -12 yards, 3 punts, and 2 ints is COMPLETELY on him. We were only down by 8 up to that point.

Yes, KM is also responsible for calling plays, blocking, receivers routes, playing from behind.....oh never-mind.

You have completely lost it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, KM is also responsible for calling plays, blocking, receivers routes, playing from behind.....oh never-mind.

You have completely lost it.
Keep making excuses. Everyone else's fault for his epic collapse for the most important quarter of the football game. -12 yards is completely normal. Happens to a ton of QBs in the NFL. This is where the pro-Murray crowd becomes disingenuous. In the face of stats that counter their position the answer is that the critical poster is being biased.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it many do to be honest. All I hear is that I have unrealistic expectations, that I am biased, that I am holding Murray to ridiculous standards, and that I do not know football.
Nah, it just seems like you have a personal issue against the dude. Especially after the “little b****” remarks last week.

Damn near everyone here has admitted that Kyler played bad, especially in the 2nd half. He was rattled. He needs to play better. Like I’m not even sure what else you want?

No one even went this hard on Rosen last year during his struggles like you have with Kyler. Gotta be a personal issue.

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
If only they understood that Kyler doesn’t belong on this team and should have never been a first round pick. Sigh

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it many do to be honest. All I hear is that I have unrealistic expectations, that I am biased, that I am holding Murray to ridiculous standards, and that I do not know football.

After all the hype and transcendent QB descriptions used by many here all summer/draft time the fact remains KM has flashed some talent but he has not lived up to the hype machine.There is no way a rational fan can honestly say that he has .Results have shown that fact.Some blame the defense,some blame the HC and some blame the QB.Some blame all the above.A few refuse to even say the QB had a poor game when it really got nitty gritty.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nah, it just seems like you have a personal issue against the dude. Especially after the “little b****” remarks last week.

Damn near everyone here has admitted that Kyler played bad, especially in the 2nd half. He was rattled. He needs to play better. Like I’m not even sure what else you want?

No one even went this hard on Rosen last year during his struggles like you have with Kyler. Gotta be a personal issue.
I want him to be good. I want the Cardinals to win games. But I get called a clown for pointing out that he crapped the bed today. Maybe I am reading a different board because I am reading that it is the playcalling, the defense, the WRs, the line, the coach, and it is the RB...essentially anything other than "Kyler Murray sucked today when it mattered. Yup. I loved that we drafted him, but he was bad today. No excuses. He is the QB and he needs to play better."

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
After all the hype and transcendent QB descriptions used by many here all summer/draft time the fact remains KM has flashed some talent but he has not lived up to the hype machine.There is no way a rational fan can honestly say that he has .Results have shown that fact.Some blame the defense,some blame the HC and some blame the QB.Some blame all the above.A few refuse to even say the QB had a poor game when it really got nitty gritty.

He's the only rookie QB to throw for back to back 300 yard games since Cam Newton. His inexperience mixed with a bad offensive line and a rookie head coach aren't helping.

He's going to need time. The cool part, and slightly aggravating is we get to experience this journey with him. He's shown me enough flash where I'm excited for the future.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want him to be good. I want the Cardinals to win games. But I get called a clown for pointing out that he crapped the bed today. Maybe I am reading a different board because I am reading that it is the playcalling, the defense, the WRs, the line, the coach, and it is the RB...essentially anything other than "Kyler Murray sucked today when it mattered. Yup. I loved that we drafted him, but he was bad today. No excuses. He is the QB and he needs to play better."
You’re getting called a clown probably because you keep repeating it

And repeating it

And repeating it

And repeating it

And repeating it

And repeating it

We get it. We absolutely get it. It’s not the end of the world.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He's the only rookie QB to throw for back to back 300 yard games since Cam Newton. His inexperience mixed with a bad offensive line and a rookie head coach aren't helping.

He's going to need time. The cool part, and slightly aggravating is we get to experience this journey with him. He's shown me enough flash where I'm excited for the future.

Yes he has flashed his talent at times.Problem is that he was supposed to be steadier,more elusive,and and to be more consistent.Funny how those excuses didn`t wash when Rosen was thrown to the wolves last season and was trying to play with a OL full of street FAs and UDFA WRS.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yes he has flashed his talent at times.Problem is that he was supposed to be steadier,more elusive,and and to be more consistent.Funny how those excuses didn`t wash when Rosen was thrown to the wolves last season and was trying to play with a OL full of street FAs and UDFA WRS.

I was pro-Rosen last year...wanted them to keep him and draft Q.

Now that KM is our QB, I want him to be successful. As much as I liked Rosen (since college), KM has done more to get excited about in 3 games than Rosen did in an entire year.

FWIW - I am also rooting for Rosen in Miami.

Raise your hand if you would rather have Wilks in his second year with Rosen and Q/Bosa?

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imagine treating a rookie in his 3rd game like he's a seasoned pro.

The guy will have some ups and downs, but if you aren't excited for the futifu or can't see how well he's played at times with this OL then I'm not sure this sport is for you.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Because that's wrong Chopper. Or least not entirely right.

Yes or no question for you sir.

To start the 2nd half, did Kyler lead offense down the field, and throw a TD pass to get us our third lead of the game?

Next question.

At that point in the game "Did it matter"?

He played well most of the game "when it mattered" bro. So stop saying that.

I'll tell you who "crapped the bed" "when it mattered". It was the defense.

K1 accounted for a huge amount of our offense yesterday. He produced. But you can't hang the weight of the world on rookie QB's shoulders, and expect him to perform every time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have kept Josh and drafted Bosa. that said, again Kyler is on pace to break the all time record for pass attempts by an NFL QB. No rookie QB in history has been put in an offense like this, we're averaging over 40 pass attempts a game. We don't run enough and when we do it often doesn't work because of the scheme, no TE, delayed handoff etc. That's one reason I kept saying the first 2 games Kyler has to run more, we needed a threat of a run even if it came from the QB.

I saw Josh tons at UCLA, I always said he's not as good as he looks like he should be, there's something missing that you can't put your finger on. He needed better coaching and better talent around him, I think he can be a very good NFL QB, but after 3 games I think it appears to me so far that Kyler is ahead of where Josh was and remember Josh played much more in college than Kyler did. That was one of my objections on Murray he basically played one full year as a starter.

He played a good first half, if Kirk makes the catch we likely go in at halftime down 14-13 with momentum and the ball. We scored a TD so that would have made it 20-14. They score so it's 21-20 and then the Sherfield drop so we're looking at 27 or 28(if we go for 2) to 21.

After the drop Kyler fell apart. He has to handle adversity better but you could see the frustration looming the 2 big drops, the drop by Chase, the INT to Fitz where they clearly weren't on the same page but I'm assuming Kyler was wrong. The pass to DJ where he never turned and looked and it fell incomplete and was somewhat close to being picked. It snowballed, he didn't handle it well we all saw it.

But again until that Sherfield drop he'd played quite well. Those 2 plays cost him about 70 yards and a TD. Maybe the rest of the game goes better if we make those plays.

And that's why losing teams lose. Chander strips Allen, the ball goes right to Reddick who has a chance to score on it, and he drops it. that's why losing teams lose.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I would have kept Josh and drafted Bosa. that said, again Kyler is on pace to break the all time record for pass attempts by an NFL QB. No rookie QB in history has been put in an offense like this, we're averaging over 40 pass attempts a game. We don't run enough and when we do it often doesn't work because of the scheme, no TE, delayed handoff etc. That's one reason I kept saying the first 2 games Kyler has to run more, we needed a threat of a run even if it came from the QB.

I saw Josh tons at UCLA, I always said he's not as good as he looks like he should be, there's something missing that you can't put your finger on. He needed better coaching and better talent around him, I think he can be a very good NFL QB, but after 3 games I think it appears to me so far that Kyler is ahead of where Josh was and remember Josh played much more in college than Kyler did. That was one of my objections on Murray he basically played one full year as a starter.

He played a good first half, if Kirk makes the catch we likely go in at halftime down 14-13 with momentum and the ball. We scored a TD so that would have made it 20-14. They score so it's 21-20 and then the Sherfield drop so we're looking at 27 or 28(if we go for 2) to 21.

After the drop Kyler fell apart. He has to handle adversity better but you could see the frustration looming the 2 big drops, the drop by Chase, the INT to Fitz where they clearly weren't on the same page but I'm assuming Kyler was wrong. The pass to DJ where he never turned and looked and it fell incomplete and was somewhat close to being picked. It snowballed, he didn't handle it well we all saw it.

But again until that Sherfield drop he'd played quite well. Those 2 plays cost him about 70 yards and a TD. Maybe the rest of the game goes better if we make those plays.

And that's why losing teams lose. Chander strips Allen, the ball goes right to Reddick who has a chance to score on it, and he drops it. that's why losing teams lose.
If KM was not doing the very things we where told he wouldn't do (getting sacked repeatedly,missing easy throws,pocket poise inconsistency, etc.We where told his great elusiveness would prevent sacks(16),he rarely throws interceptions(3 already) etc.Sure he flashed at times but he also looked pretty bad also.As a Cards fan I hope he can adjust to the NFL game and at least come close to the hype.I figure its just the Cardinals being the Cardinals again by taking a QB #1 when the draft is rated as one of the better defensive prospects in year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If KM was not doing the very things we where told he wouldn't do (getting sacked repeatedly,missing easy throws,pocket poise inconsistency, etc.We where told his great elusiveness would prevent sacks(16),he rarely throws interceptions(3 already) etc.Sure he flashed at times but he also looked pretty bad also.As a Cards fan I hope he can adjust to the NFL game and at least come close to the hype.I figure its just the Cardinals being the Cardinals again by taking a QB #1 when the draft is rated as one of the better defensive prospects in year.

I didn't read most of the Murray stuff since the draft it was too much and it was pointless to me to read. He's absolutely causing sacks by not stepping up, he's also absolutely avoiding sacks that Josh couldn't because he's more athletic. The problem is the ones he's causing have been really bad, double digit yard losses etc, he has to stop doing that.

I don't see him missing lots of throws honestly, he's over 61 percent right now. I think he's probably missing reads but then I'm watching on tv I can't see who's open and who's not. I don't see lots of replays where FOX is showing us someone's wide open that he missed, we saw some of that last year with Josh.

The 170 yards yesterday is apparently a modern Super Bowl era record for fewest yards completing over 30 passes but again 2 drops cost him about 70 yards, and this offense is built on short passes, so not a total shock we'd have a lower YPC number.

Rookies throw INT's, Peyton Manning threw 26! If you go back to when we were debating should we pick Murray one of my biggest complaints was at OU he played basically one full year on a team stacked with OL and WR talent, he was choosing which open guy to throw to, that's not now the NFL works. I think he understands progressions it's part of the offense, but I don't think he's ever had to do what he's doing now with respect to trying to read defenses because at OU again there were guys open on every play just about. So I'm not at all surprised he has at times been confused. He threw 519 passes in his college career, Josh 1170, Mayfield 1497. So Josh over twice as many, Mayfield 3 times as many, and look how confused they look at times in their 2nd NFL seasons. If people were telling you he won't throw INT's as a rookie yeah that was silly, everyone throws INT's as a rookie.

All I'm saying is the kid is in a situation that's essentially unprecedented in the NFL, nobody else has really run this offense, let alone with a rookie QB a rookie HC (who had a losing record in college), so I actually think all things considered Kyler has had quite a bit of success. he clearly has to learn to step up in the pocket again after ours ended I switched to Seattle and watching Wilson repeatedly step up, duck under defenders etc and then make throws the contrast to Kyler running sideways or backwards is obvious. They really ought to show Kyler the tape of his 4th quarter and Wilson's and tell him that's where you eventually want to get to, where you step up so the OL knows where you are and if you take a loss, it's a small one not a big one.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read most of the Murray stuff since the draft it was too much and it was pointless to me to read. He's absolutely causing sacks by not stepping up, he's also absolutely avoiding sacks that Josh couldn't because he's more athletic. The problem is the ones he's causing have been really bad, double digit yard losses etc, he has to stop doing that.

I don't see him missing lots of throws honestly, he's over 61 percent right now. I think he's probably missing reads but then I'm watching on tv I can't see who's open and who's not. I don't see lots of replays where FOX is showing us someone's wide open that he missed, we saw some of that last year with Josh.

The 170 yards yesterday is apparently a modern Super Bowl era record for fewest yards completing over 30 passes but again 2 drops cost him about 70 yards, and this offense is built on short passes, so not a total shock we'd have a lower YPC number.

Rookies throw INT's, Peyton Manning threw 26! If you go back to when we were debating should we pick Murray one of my biggest complaints was at OU he played basically one full year on a team stacked with OL and WR talent, he was choosing which open guy to throw to, that's not now the NFL works. I think he understands progressions it's part of the offense, but I don't think he's ever had to do what he's doing now with respect to trying to read defenses because at OU again there were guys open on every play just about. So I'm not at all surprised he has at times been confused. He threw 519 passes in his college career, Josh 1170, Mayfield 1497. So Josh over twice as many, Mayfield 3 times as many, and look how confused they look at times in their 2nd NFL seasons. If people were telling you he won't throw INT's as a rookie yeah that was silly, everyone throws INT's as a rookie.

All I'm saying is the kid is in a situation that's essentially unprecedented in the NFL, nobody else has really run this offense, let alone with a rookie QB a rookie HC (who had a losing record in college), so I actually think all things considered Kyler has had quite a bit of success. he clearly has to learn to step up in the pocket again after ours ended I switched to Seattle and watching Wilson repeatedly step up, duck under defenders etc and then make throws the contrast to Kyler running sideways or backwards is obvious. They really ought to show Kyler the tape of his 4th quarter and Wilson's and tell him that's where you eventually want to get to, where you step up so the OL knows where you are and if you take a loss, it's a small one not a big one.

I think KM has been a little bit surprised at the NFl game.I also wonder about sustained success with a gimmicky offense at the NFl level.I think you are right about KM being confused (happens to all rookie QBs).He has to learn to go thru his reads and when to thrtow the ball away.Maybe eventually whoever is GM next draft when Cards are likely picking top 10 or worse Cards realize you build the OLINE and DLINE to start with.Since Murray is the Cards QB for the next several years then draft some OLINE guys to give4 him time to do what he is supposed to do.I think it was Parcells who said you build the offensive line and defensive lines and then go from there.Unless you have a coked out Lawrence Taylor availablec to draft:biglaugh:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in no way comparing KM as a rookie to any of these players OVERALL career. Just to make that clear. The point that I am making is thank goodness these teams were not all dramatic and overreacting to their rookies or things would have turned out different. This is in no way a comprehensive list I am sure people here can add more.

Jared Goff - 0-7. 5 TDs, 7 INTs
Manning - 29 INts, 26 TDs
Smith - 875 yards, one touchdown and 11 interceptions (not HOF but played 13, made probowl x3, MVP candidate 2017)
Aikman - 0-11, 9 TDs, 18 INTs
Bradshaw - 24 INTs, 6 TDs
Bledsoe - 5-7, 15 TD, 15 INT
Namath - 3-5-1
Sims - 6-5, 13 TD, 14 INTs
Elway - 4-6, 7 TD, 14 INTs
Fouts - 0-5-1, 6 TD, 13 INTs
Eli Manning - 1-6, 6 TD, 9 INTs
McNabb - 2-4, 8 TD, 7 INTs

Non-QBs that struggled as Rookies:

Jadeveon Clowney
Cris Carter
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Melvin Gordon
Arian Foster
Antonio Gates
London Fletcher
Priest Holmes
Joe Horn
James Harrison

Give the kid a chance to take his lumps and improve. I was not even high on KM before the draft but sheesh.

Last edited: