Franchise took a big step back today

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacksonville and New York have similar talent on their offensive lines. Our WRs are miles better than those on Jacksonville, New York and Carolina. We have the 3rd best RB in that group. You are reaching for excuses here.
Yes but our coaching staff ( sorry Kliff) stands on the sidelines and watches our o-line get shredded by 4 guys and yet does nothing to help them out. When Kyler has had time he has delivered dimes all over the field. I hope this coaching staff wakes up and realises there are times to go 22 personnel to provide some protection. Remember Kliff, TE's are allowed to go out for a pass or stay in and block. But you should know that by watching opposing TE's over the last 3 weeks.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the offense just won’t work. You need to stretch the field and not just when you’re down by multiple scores or when there’s less than a minute left in a half. Every play is near the LOS and they aren’t even using rub routes to get people open. The middle of the field needs to be used more, a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still don't understand using Larry behind LOS for screens, jets, etc.

Now the middle of the field could be a Kyler issue. Height, or getting caught looking at the middle of the defense.

At OU they would have wide splits that helped him see over the middle of the field. Hard to do that in the NFL.

I like the idea of max protect.

I think Kliff has to adjust the offense until he gets the Oline/Wrs he needs for this offense. Like I said earlier its one of two things. Either the plan is for Kyler to get use to carrying the team/working the offense. Or maybe just adjust to survive the year and work on it next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they expected to do so in their first three games? Context man, context. I don’t want to look it up, but I wonder how many legitimate #1 picks (drafted by the team that actually had the #1 pick - you know the team that was actually worst in the league the prior year) started their first three games in the rookie seasons and “rose above and overcame” the teams issues. I kinda doubt that’s been common.
Manning and Aikman were both horrendous, right? Combined 4-24...guess they didn't rise and overcome.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our receivers have defenders draped all over them because for the most part Kyler needs to get rid of the ball in 2.25 seconds. They have no time to create separations. We are relying on YAC. We desperately need to have some max protection once in a while and give our wr's some time to get downfield and open spots.

That's not the offense though. Kliff is going to find out if he can run this offense in the NFL or not. I've always been skeptical he can, I think you can run it SOMETIMES, I don't think you can run it as much as he's running it. Teams are blitzing us and confusing Kyler, and then today they rushed 4 guys and confused him with coverages.

The OL is not good but the design of this offense is to get it out quickly. It was really obvious in the first half they were creeping up, I posted we need to go over the top. We did, and Kirk dropped it.

2nd half we did and Sherfield dropped it.

We need a John Brown type WR on this team that can force teams to keep a safety back.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes but our coaching staff ( sorry Kliff) stands on the sidelines and watches our o-line get shredded by 4 guys and yet does nothing to help them out. When Kyler has had time he has delivered dimes all over the field. I hope this coaching staff wakes up and realises there are times to go 22 personnel to provide some protection. Remember Kliff, TE's are allowed to go out for a pass or stay in and block. But you should know that by watching opposing TE's over the last 3 weeks.
The TE was never really valued by Mike Leach. Just didn't believe a TE could catch and block well enough to run that system. Would rather space em out. Ironically a TE got drafted 2nd round after a great year during KK's 1st year at Tech.

I love the tempo and some of the play design. However, if I'm Kliff I'm watching a lot of Oklahoma (Kyler thrived when there were multiple TE's on the field) and Andy Reid's Chiefs. That balance and look throws off the defense. Gotta mix it up more.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
This is why you take a guy #1. Daniel Jones just beat the Bucs. Minshew won in primetime. None of these guys were expected to be playing better than Murray, but they are. Murray needs to step up or he is just another over-drafted, mid level QB. Everyone pointed out how people were making excuses for Rosen...well...let's not make excuses for Murray. We wasn't the 4th QB taken in his draft.
BINGO.Damn true.Those excuses where called nonsense last season about Rosen so you have to paint Murray with the same brush.After all KM was the top pick of the whole freaking draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's not the offense though. Kliff is going to find out if he can run this offense in the NFL or not. I've always been skeptical he can, I think you can run it SOMETIMES, I don't think you can run it as much as he's running it. Teams are blitzing us and confusing Kyler, and then today they rushed 4 guys and confused him with coverages.

The OL is not good but the design of this offense is to get it out quickly. It was really obvious in the first half they were creeping up, I posted we need to go over the top. We did, and Kirk dropped it.

We need a John Brown type WR on this team that can force teams to keep a safety back.
The irony is John Brown and even JJ Nelson are exactly what they need on this offense. Just not explosive enough. Again the offense is counting on mistakes and making teams pay for it. However, we really don't have the guys for that. Kirk can make plays, but he's more savvy than explosive imo. Larry is a legend, but we don't have the speed on the outside to really let Larry thrive imo.

Just a shame that we are not using Andy/Hakeem Butler or they were whiffs. Don't know which is it. It just sucks cause we could have had Hardman and D.K. Metcalfe.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I respect your point and I'm not suggesting to totally abandon KK's philosophy. However, KK said himself it's a learning experience for him and he would adjust as needed. John Brown isn't any faster than Isabella and perhaps Byrd. However we might not ever find out if we don't give Kyler max protection once in a while.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The defense was run off the filed today Section 11. CAR had zero TD passes through it's first two games, but four versus us.

Who are we going to beat?

I'm not trying to lose 14 games this year man. That's bad for a team's soul.
We might not beat anyone. It doesn’t matter. We are in the process of putting the train back on the tracks.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BINGO.Damn true.Those excuses where called nonsense last season about Rosen so you have to paint Murray with the same brush.After all KM was the top pick of the whole freaking draft.
I think both sides can be right.

Kyler hasn't played as well as he should.

We also were counting on Gilbert to be RT, Isabella and Hakeem Butler to give us speed/big play making ability and PP/Alford to help the secondary so we could get more stops.

I'm ok with people saying Kyler hasn't played like a #1 pick. I also do think Kyler could have a midseason surge in play/production once he gets more comfortable.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Some if you guys need to step back from the ledge. We have a rookie qb and coach. Our d is on thier 3rd d coordinator in 3 years. We lost 2 starting DTs and 2 starting CBs including a HOF cb.
We are going to have ups and downs. We need more protection for Murray. We need a more consistent running game. We need our CBs back.

We are headed in the right direction. We will get through the growing pains and let's see how the d does when peterson and alford are back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Murray doesnt need any excuses. He's scoring 21+ points per game in his first 3 games. Way beyond what the team achieved last season with the same supporting cast. He's doing his job.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
how many times did we hear that last year on this board?
Next 3 games will tell us a lot.

I think all 3 are winnable.

I think Seattle is a good matchup. Bengals are a couple losses away from tanking. Dan Quinn is fighting for his job.

If we're 3-2-1 or 2-3-1......not bad.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Murray doesnt need any excuses. He's scoring 21+ points per game in his first 3 games. Way beyond what the team achieved last season with the same supporting cast. He's doing his job. Now we need to continue the rebuild by surrounding him with talent that can compete with their counterparts. Our OL, DL, WR, and secondary are all worse than all of our opponents.

Actually KM has better TEs,better WRs,OLINE that isn`t filled with UDFA guys from the street halfway thru the season...so I disagree.Cards personel and Coaching were atrocious lastseason .

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nah it looks like what it is, at least to me. An up and down rookie showing flashes but also needing to learn, while being coached by a rookie head coach, on a team that was dead last the previous year with an atrocious defense and unproven receiving corps and poor rushing attack and offensive line. This is exactly what it looks like to me. Except, maybe a little better than I would expect with all those facts.

I pretty much agree. KM wasn't good today, but he has time. I was more responding to the "Ermegerd, KM's God!" posters from before even the pre-season.

It's something us pro Murray peeps will have to face all season unless he turns into the next Tom Brady. Just the reality of it all. Comes with the territory of being the number one pick as well...so I guess I kinda get it.

You're absolutely right. This board was chock full o' over-the-top, pie in the sky expectations that had no bearing in reality. As long as KM shows improvement--which, after some good signs, he showed hideous regression--I'll be okay with him.

Lmao. Rosen showed nothing. NOTHING. Kyler has shown a ton of promise. But hey, a lot of you clowns are gonna go down swinging on this topic for some reason. It's baffling but just is another example of how this board is just a shell of it's former self.

Rosen had several 4th quarter come-from-behind wins. How many does KM have again? NONE. Less trash talk and more reality, please. KM has shown flashes but he has a long, long way to go.

Manning and Aikman were both horrendous, right? Combined 4-24...guess they didn't rise and overcome.

Good, I agree--Rosen can still do well :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But in your opinion a god awful offensive line does equal an average offensive line. Got it.
I see an average group playing average. If Kyler can't figure out that Brian Burns at 245 is going to abuse Mills off the edge, then he isn't very smart. You have to adjust to the matchups on the field. If your tackles are facing a bunch of speed off the edge, you have to adjust your drop in the NFL. An in-game adjustment I am sure he never had to make in college.

I saw times where there was immediate pressure.

I also saw times where Murray had a ton of time.

Most of the game was in between.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hopefully Murray can do the same. That doesn't mean that those players were not part of the problem at the time as rookies either.

Criticism of Murray now does not mean that Murray can't be better later. I have yet to read anyone saying that. That doesn't mean the criticism now isn't valid. That doesn't mean that his play isn't underwhelming now. Until he shows he can step up, he hasn't done it. Once he does, the argument fades away.

Some people have faith and some need to see it first to believe it. I don't know why that is so frustrating for people.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think both sides can be right.

Kyler hasn't played as well as he should.

We also were counting on Gilbert to be RT, Isabella and Hakeem Butler to give us speed/big play making ability and PP/Alford to help the secondary so we could get more stops.

I'm ok with people saying Kyler hasn't played like a #1 pick. I also do think Kyler could have a midseason surge in play/production once he gets more comfortable.
I am expecting to see a jump at sometime this year. If not, it will be pretty concerning.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The irony is John Brown and even JJ Nelson are exactly what they need on this offense. Just not explosive enough. Again the offense is counting on mistakes and making teams pay for it. However, we really don't have the guys for that. Kirk can make plays, but he's more savvy than explosive imo. Larry is a legend, but we don't have the speed on the outside to really let Larry thrive imo.

Just a shame that we are not using Andy/Hakeem Butler or they were whiffs. Don't know which is it. It just sucks cause we could have had Hardman and D.K. Metcalfe.
I thought Byrd was supposed to have this world class speed. Ain’t seen any hint of that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson