OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Suns consider moving Ayton permanently to Power
Forward if he can fill the role. I believe it would take pressure off him
and make best use of his skills. That was his position at UofA.

I am thinking back to the Big E, Elvin Hayes, playing PF alongside the
shorter, bulkier Wes Unseld with the Baltimore/Washington Bullets.

Baynes is 6'10"-260. Ayton is 7'1"-250.

Unseld was 6'7-245. Hayes was 6'9-235
back when Centers were 6'9" or 6'10"-240.

I like Ayton as a center but I'm open to him playing power forward to favor match-ups.

With Baynes at center and Ayton at power forward the Suns should be able to bang with the best of them. There will be games the Suns want to use Baynes and Kaminsky at center.

It's refreshing that you are looking at other options for Ayton while he develops as a player. I know you always wanted that franchise center. He is not fully developed so who knows for sure. IMO, it's easier to find a center than an elite power forward so I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
. IMO, it's easier to find a center than an elite power forward so I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may.

I can’t disagree with this sentiment more. We finally have a guy who should develop into a dominant modern center and everyone wants to develop him as a PF. Color me puzzled.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t disagree with this sentiment more. We finally have a guy who should develop into a dominant modern center and everyone wants to develop him as a PF. Color me puzzled.

If Ayton turns into an franchise player I'm not going to quibble whether he plays center or power forward. I just want him to maximize his potential. My preference is the Suns develop his inside game and work outward. In today's NBA he might be able to play both positions.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His best defensive position should also be part of the equation, shouldn't it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Absolutely. But instead of giving him the out of relieving him of rim protection duties I’d like to see them develop his considerable physical tools into a dominant center. He’s going into his second year in the league after a single year in college and people seemingly want to give up on him becoming a dominant center? I don’t get that. And I’m one of the most critical posters on this board regarding his center play.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Ayton as a center but I'm open to him playing power forward to favor match-ups.

With Baynes at center and Ayton at power forward the Suns should be able to bang with the best of them. There will be games the Suns want to use Baynes and Kaminsky at center.

It's refreshing that you are looking at other options for Ayton while he develops as a player. I know you always wanted that franchise center. He is not fully developed so who knows for sure. IMO, it's easier to find a center than an elite power forward so I'm willing to let the chips fall where they may.
I am here. Ayton should play center. He has the tools to dominate at that position with his athleticism and versatility. If matchups dictate he and Baynes be on the floor at the same time for stretches, I really am not bothered. Who is to say who is the center in that situation anyway? It’s Baynes that will be shooting threes, not Ayton.

Just don’t call Ayton a pf. I think I am somewhere between you and Ouchie on this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am here. Ayton should play center. He has the tools to dominate at that position with his athleticism and versatility. If matchups dictate he and Baynes be on the floor at the same time for stretches, I really am not bothered. Who is to say who is the center in that situation anyway? It’s Baynes that will be shooting threes, not Ayton.

Just don’t call Ayton a pf. I think I am somewhere between you and Ouchie on this.

Ayton is the Suns center until proven otherwise.

I want him to primarily develop his inside game before he develops an outside game. His ability to play defense, draw opposing centers outside with his shooting and mobility is what will separate him from other centers.

I do think BC raised a valid point though.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real solution is to just get better forwards to surround a center like Ayton, but work with what you got.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is the Suns center until proven otherwise.

I want him to primarily develop his inside game before he develops an outside game. His ability to play defense, draw opposing centers outside with his shooting and mobility is what will separate him from other centers.

I do think BC raised a valid point though.
It's a valid point. I just disagree.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see what makes him a better defender as a 4 than a 5. He certainly has more potential as a center defensively, while his size will be disadvantage against some of the quicker forwards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ayton looked good guarding Lebron and Giannis this last season but we'll have to see if that who he really is or if that was a one time thing. He showed he was capable of it, to everyone's surprise, but they'll know that he's going to challenge them and keep up with them out on the perimeter going forward. If they can't find a way to beat him then it'll be time in developing him as perimeter defender of sorts but I'm going to need to see him do it again before I'm ready to jump on the PF bandwagon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns announce their medical and performance team.

The Phoenix Suns have announced the club’s sports medicine and performance team, naming Brady Howe as Senior Director of Player Health and Performance, adding David Crewe as Director of Medical Services/Head Athletic Trainer, retaining Daniel Bove as Director of Performance, adding Adam Loiacono as Director of Rehabilitation, Cory Schlesinger as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Frank Adams as Assistant Athletic Trainer, Jeff Dolan as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Kohei Tamagawa as Sport Scientist/Assistant Strength Coach and Amy Atmore as Performance Therapist.

“I’m excited to surround our players with a diverse and dynamic performance staff where every effort revolves around comprehensive player care,” said General Manager James Jones. “The depth of knowledge and expertise will offer our players the tools and support to perform at an elite level while maintaining their health, and will serve as a great complement to our coaching staff.”

https://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/phoenix-suns-announce-sports-medicine-and-performance-team

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's a valid point. I just disagree.
'Good post! And that's why we meet here. Divergent opinions from Suns fans.

We're not coaches but, between us all, we've seen a lot of basketball over
the years and decades to have more "experience' than casual fans.

To put it another way, we didn't write the book, but we've read it. :)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Magic was a PF and not a PG! :cool:

I don't know who is making plans for Ayton's future/position but he has a lot of talent both inside with his physique and outside with his soft touch and agility. I am thinking Robinson, Duncan, Dream Shake Hakeem, more than Ewing, Shaq, Eton. If he plays C with a stretch four or PF with a stretch C it's about spacing and putting the ball in his hands more than last year. As long as he doesn't shy away from powering through people and being passive on the glass. I'd rather he gets 10+ rebounds this year than 20+ points actually.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Oh I could see Ayton developing into a Karl Malone, without the nasty attitude, type PF. Ayton has the outside shot to be a face up PF, no doubt.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
'Good post! And that's why we meet here. Divergent opinions from Suns fans.

We're not coaches but, between us all, we've seen a lot of basketball over
the years and decades to have more "experience' than casual fans.

To put it another way, we didn't write the book, but we've read it. :)
I had actually considered the idea of moving Ayton to pf. So, obviously not a ridiculous notion to me. But after consideration, I do not think it is a good idea. He has the ability to be a prototypical type of "new center" in the NBA. That would include the skils and athleticism of an old-style pf with the size of a center and playing center. Demarcus Cousins, Tim Duncan, and others are the prototypes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I had actually considered the idea of moving Ayton to pf. So, obviously not a ridiculous notion to me. But after consideration, I do not think it is a good idea. He has the ability to be a prototypical type of "new center" in the NBA. That would include the skils and athleticism of an old-style pf with the size of a center and playing center. Demarcus Cousins, Tim Duncan, and others are the prototypes.
I would suggest that, if so, he not be utilized on offense as he was last season,
setting high picks, then having to work his way to the basket as the shot clock
winds down.

Driving to the basket is not his strong point. Guards can do that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that, if so, he not be utilized on offense as he was last season,
winds down.

That's how bigs play in today's NBA, setting high screens. He doesn't need to drive but he does need to roll to the basket. Thankfully we have Rubio to feed him. I'm sure you saw him miss 2-3 easy opportunities for baskets each game last season because the pass to him was too high, too late, or just intercepted. Rubio's court vision isn't quite on par with Nash's but it's probably the closest to Nash's in the entire league. He is a great playmaker and Ayton will benefit from that more than anyone.

If Ayton is used similar to how he was last year, only this coming year he'll receive passes at the right time and in the right spot, I could see him averaging 20 ppg on over 60% shooting easily. He shot 58% last season and averaged 16 ppg, so 4 more points and 2% increase in his shooting isn't unrealistic.

What needs to change in regards to how he was used last year and this coming season is they need to be consistent with feeding him throughout the game. I'm not sure if anyone could look up stats on it but I would wager that Ayton scored 70% or more of his points in the first half of games last year but in the 2nd half no one fed him the same. That needs to change and Ayton also needs to be aggressive in demanding the ball, as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The season is so close now. Media day is next Monday. I'm so excited to get things going!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
winds down.

I anticipate we will see a much different offense this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's how bigs play in today's NBA, setting high screens. He doesn't need to drive but he does need to roll to the basket. Thankfully we have Rubio to feed him. I'm sure you saw him miss 2-3 easy opportunities for baskets each game last season because the pass to him was too high, too late, or just intercepted. Rubio's court vision isn't quite on par with Nash's but it's probably the closest to Nash's in the entire league. He is a great playmaker and Ayton will benefit from that more than anyone.

If Ayton is used similar to how he was last year, only this coming year he'll receive passes at the right time and in the right spot, I could see him averaging 20 ppg on over 60% shooting easily. He shot 58% last season and averaged 16 ppg, so 4 more points and 2% increase in his shooting isn't unrealistic.

What needs to change in regards to how he was used last year and this coming season is they need to be consistent with feeding him throughout the game. I'm not sure if anyone could look up stats on it but I would wager that Ayton scored 70% or more of his points in the first half of games last year but in the 2nd half no one fed him the same. That needs to change and Ayton also needs to be aggressive in demanding the ball, as well.
I agree. Bigs set high screens. He just needs to set better screens. He sets pretty weak ones. Baynes could teach him a thing or two about setting a high screen. I do think a pg that is a little more creative will get him a little more space to receive the ball more often throughout the game. When the pg stands outside pounding the ball, expecting movement on the interior to create passing opportunities, it is really difficult for a big man. The Nash type of ball movement is what this team needs from a pg. He needs to keep his dribble alive, keep moving through and probing the defense and making defenders move enough to open pass lanes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Bigs set high screens. He just needs to set better screens. He sets pretty weak ones. Baynes could teach him a thing or two about setting a high screen. I do think a pg that is a little more creative will get him a little more space to receive the ball more often throughout the game. When the pg stands outside pounding the ball, expecting movement on the interior to create passing opportunities, it is really difficult for a big man. The Nash type of ball movement is what this team needs from a pg. He needs to keep his dribble alive, keep moving through and probing the defense and making defenders move enough to open pass lanes.

I'm beyond excited to see Rubio on the floor with Ayton and Booker. The impact he should have on them will be big. Booker has been a borderline All-Star the last couple of years and is a legit top 5 scoring threat on any given night. Now that Booker won't need to expend so much energy on setting others up and playing PG, hopefully facing less double teams as well, he should average in the high 20's. He was on the verge of setting the all time Suns scoring average last year, which is held by Tom Chambers at 27.2 ppg. Booker was close last year with 26.6 and was on the verge of surpassing him before he was sat for the final 3 games.

I already mentioned my expectations for Ayton, and if things pan out then the Suns could very well have a Cinderella type season like in 2013-14 when they won 48 and finished 9th in the West. I think 9th in the West is possible, maybe not probable but if things click then we should be right there with other fringe playoff teams like the Kings, Spurs, and Minnesota vying for the final playoff spots in the West.

Some West teams did get worse, mainly Memphis and OKC. I'd place the Suns ahead of both of them now. When it comes to non-playoff teams we should be right up there at the top of the standings but knocking out some of the playoff teams will be hard. OKC is the only playoff team that I feel confident saying won't make it back next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose