Chandler Jones Restructures Contract

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
NFL players often cringe at restructuring a contract, on the principle of what it implies or this would happen frequently even though more money may be made apparent upfront from my experience watching teams trying to restructure with players... usually for good reason, players and front offices do not trust one another despite acts which benefit both sides
Do you have examples at players not wanting to restructure? The way the cap works, an up front bonus can be amortized over the life of the contract, but the base pay counts in the year it is paid. Therefore the Cards (or any other organziation) can convert base pay into a bonus (accelerating the payment to the player) in exchange for only having a portion of the cap hit this year, but spreading it our over future years.

You will often hear of "restructures" where it's really a pay cut. That's not a restructure, it's a pay cut. The only reason this doesn't happen more often is because teams would rather keep cash in their pocket today and pay tomorrow. Literally every player would accept a bonus today for pay he expected in future years. If Chandler took a pay cut to open up cap space then sure, he's a hero, but he didn't. He got a payment advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone is giving kudos to anyone. All this is is a salary acceleration. We dont know why yet. It's not a pay change or pay cut necessarily, just a reallocation

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Thank you. Not sure why fans misunderstand this as a show of goodwill by a player. Just a finance move that opens up cap space today for a team in exchange for cash. If my employer offered me next year's salary up front today, and it helps their books by spreading it out then yay. But I took the deal because I want the money now.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
We may have a chance for Ramsey. The tirade with Ramsey and Jacksonville is that the Jags want Ramsey to play cover. Ramsey is like PP, he's just a one trick pony, he plays man to man. We have the best cover corner to come out of this year draft, Byron Murphy. We might be able to trade BM and a second rounder for Ramsey.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We may have a chance for Ramsey. The tirade with Ramsey and Jacksonville is that the Jags want Ramsey to play cover. Ramsey is like PP, he's just a one trick pony, he plays man to man. We have the best cover corner to come out of this year draft, Byron Murphy. We might be able to trade BM and a second rounder for Ramsey.
What about trading Budda baker who is a liability in coverage and lack ballhawks skills

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would never make that trade.

Budda would make sense if we can then flip something for Jamal Adams as well.

But all of that is a pipe dream really.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keim: Don’t read into Cardinals restructuring Chandler Jones’ contract
But don’t read into it, Keim told Doug & Wolf on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.

“We were under a million dollars from a cap standpoint,” Keim said Friday. “It’s not anything that we haven’t done before. It’s … an exercise that a lot of teams do year in and year out, and it’s just to increase some flexibility. There’s been a number of injuries that we’ve incurred in the preseason.

“When you have injury replacements and all those sort of things, you just want to make sure you have some flexibility moving forward throughout the season. It also gives you the ability to extend any players in the future that you’re excited about. I wouldn’t read anything into that conversion.”
https://arizonasports.com/story/208...als-restructuring-of-chandler-jones-contract/

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone think we are making a move for someone soon?
keim said today we had less than a million in cap space so for signing random FA to cover for injuries or possible extensions for core players, needed some space.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If by seasons end, Murray is playing the way I think he can, this coming offseason is going to be pivotal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If by seasons end, Murray is playing the way I think he can, this coming offseason is going to be pivotal.

It's going to be pivotal either way, because we'll have money to spend and at the very least an OL to completely rebuild. I don't in the least trust Keim with the keys to that rebuild.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's going to be pivotal either way, because we'll have money to spend and at the very least an OL to completely rebuild. I don't in the least trust Keim with the keys to that rebuild.
We have a champagne budget, but a GM with Budweiser on his mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This year should very much determine Keim's fate. If they continue to play competitive, grow, and win some games down the stretch, Keim deserves a shot at it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This year should very much determine Keim's fate. If they continue to play competitive, grow, and win some games down the stretch, Keim deserves a shot at it.

I disagree. He's proven he has no idea how to assemble an offensive line, so we in no way should trust him to spend a ton of money to assemble yet another failed offensive line.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I disagree. He's proven he has no idea how to assemble an offensive line, so we in no way should trust him to spend a ton of money to assemble yet another failed offensive line.

I dont know. The Cardinals O line coach under Arians, Goodwin, was terrible. Players even made veiled comments about him last offseason.

With a poo oline coach, young players arent going to learn better technique and grow. The team drafted a bunch of mid to late round prospects over the course of the Keim regime. None have panned out. Keim deserves some of the blame, but coaching has played some part in it.

The line looks better so far and from what we know, I think Kugler deserves a ton of credit. Hopefully with a lot more to spend, the Cardinals finally spend some money on a RT and draft a legit prospect in round 1.

Keim's first three years as GM bought him some time, but that time is running out.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve generally been supportive of Keim, because I’ve met BASK & they were addictive personalities. That being said, MB took responsibility for the Wilks debacle. He won’t do that again. With the NFCW being what it is, Michael won’t take kindly to being the doormat for too much longer.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Not true. The Cardinal O-lines from the middle part of this decade, which featured Veldheer at LT (and Bobby Massie at RT, and Sendlein at C) were more than capable, and kept a statuesque Palmer upright long enough for him to twice get us to the playoffs.

Keim's roster management has been a miserable failure the last three years Stout. I'm not arguing that. However, he's had his "hitting rock bottom" moment with the DUI incident. And it appears (appears I say!) that he's now sober, and re-energized.

If this season he demonstrates that he's back on track, then I think he deserves at least one more year to build on what we accomplish in 2019. Talented NFL GMs are too rare of a commodity. They should be cast aside only as a very last resort.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't know that I have confidence in Bidwill's ability to find a quality GM. That doesn't impact my feelings towards Keim, but it needs to be said.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose