Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small Forward Haywood Highsmith is expected to sign with Suns.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

Haywood Highsmith is expected to sign a training-camp (Exhibit 10) deal with the #Suns, league sources tell @TheAthleticAZ. The 6-foot-7, 220-pound small forward from Wheeling Jesuit was on a two-way contract with Philadelphia last season.

6:59 PM - 8 Sep 2019

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Gina Mizell
@ginamizell

·
7m

At TSRA for Merc practice and some #Suns rolled in for voluntary workouts right after. I saw Tyler Johnson, Bridges, Lecque, Cam Johnson, Jerome, Okobo, Diallo, Carter, Kaminsky, Harper. Doesn’t mean other players are NOT here, just that I didn’t see them in the hallway.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell
@ginamizell

·
7m

At TSRA for Merc practice and some #Suns rolled in for voluntary workouts right after. I saw Tyler Johnson, Bridges, Lecque, Cam Johnson, Jerome, Okobo, Diallo, Carter, Kaminsky, Harper. Doesn’t mean other players are NOT here, just that I didn’t see them in the hallway.

One thing I've noticed about this team, that started last year, is they don't seem to travel alone. When you hear of one of them working out then it's likely he's there with a teammate or two. I think that makes the Holmes and Jackson arrests stand out more as well. The one time you hear of players alone is when they get in trouble.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about this team, that started last year, is they don't seem to travel alone. When you hear of one of them working out then it's likely he's there with a teammate or two. I think that makes the Holmes and Jackson arrests stand out more as well. The one time you hear of players alone is when they get in trouble.

Jackson was with the guys/teammates at the concert when he got in trouble i thought?
Holmes was with his personal crew iirc.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking forward to suns starting!

Hoping the rookies play well and rubio helps DeAndre and booker more.

Expecting improvement not playoffs yet but better record close to .500

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to suns starting!

Hoping the rookies play well and rubio helps DeAndre and booker more.

Expecting improvement not playoffs yet but better record close to .500

After the World Cup, even more so!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson was with the guys/teammates at the concert when he got in trouble i thought?
Holmes was with his personal crew iirc.

I knew other players were there but it was never stated whether Josh was with them or not. Since he was arrested trying to get into the VIP section, who knows. You'd think he wouldn't be turned away if he was with Booker, Ayton, or Oubre. If he was still turned away then you'd hope that one of his teammates could have helped cooler heads prevail rather than Jackson running away in handcuffs, like what ended up happening.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew other players were there but it was never stated whether Josh was with them or not. Since he was arrested trying to get into the VIP section, who knows. You'd think he wouldn't be turned away if he was with Booker, Ayton, or Oubre. If he was still turned away then you'd hope that one of his teammates could have helped cooler heads prevail rather than Jackson run

I don't recall the facts but I had thought all of them were together inside the VIP room and wouldn't have known about JJ's attempt to get back into that area without authorization.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the season to begin in 37 days sounds like a long time.

I prefer to think Media Day is on September 30th and Training Camp begins on October 1st.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns players held a private practice today. It appears everyone but Rubio, Baynes, and Saric were there. Those 3 were all playing internationally up until a couple days ago so it's not a surprise they weren't present but Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, and all of the main guys were there. There's some video of it in this reddit post, apparently one of the players posted it on Instagram. Glad to see the guys getting together on their own.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones gives a current update on team on The Outlet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones is open to giving Ayton some minutes at power forward to accommodate their depth upfront.

“This year we have — from Frank (Kaminsky), Dario (Saric), Cheick (Diallo) — we can play Deandre at power forward if we need to with Aron Baynes as our center,” Jones said. “We have a lot of depth at that position.”

The change in that belief could come with the fact that Baynes will be one of the team’s better players and finding more ways for him to get on the court. The Australian is one of the league’s most well-respected veteran bigs, known for his toughness and reliability after a successful stint with the Boston Celtics.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2084332/suns-gm-james-jones-open-to-playing-deandre-ayton-at-pf/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another source for Suns news.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The YouTube video in post #14 is really worth the watch. I especially liked the Steve Nash stories at about the 21:30 mark.

According to Jones, Nash was really tough and probably talked more trash than anyone else. Great to see Nash get some kudos from someone in the organization.

I've never seen James Jones so relaxed and upbeat as in this video.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another podcast sort of show to listen to, it's on Youtube but it is just audio. It's The Timeline's latest show and they run down the international play of the newest Suns and also have Lindsey Smith on as a guest. It was interesting to learn more about her as the topic rather than seeing her interview people. Of course seeing her interviewed would have been better but it's still a good listen, it's an hour long episode.

I'm glad we're starting to get some content from Suns fan sites and affiliates. It's almost that basketball time of the year again! I've playing the hell out of 2k20 getting ready for the season, can't wait.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Here's another podcast sort of show to listen to, it's on Youtube but it is just audio. It's The Timeline's latest show and they run down the international play of the newest Suns and also have Lindsey Smith on as a guest. It was interesting to learn more about her as the topic rather than seeing her interview people. Of course seeing her interviewed would have been better but it's still a good listen, it's an hour long episode.

I'm glad we're starting to get some content from Suns fan sites and affiliates. It's almost that basketball time of the year again! I've playing the hell out of 2k20 getting ready for the season, can't wait.
It's also available on podcast. I just started listening.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jones is open to giving Ayton some minutes at power forward to accommodate their depth upfront.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2084332/suns-gm-james-jones-open-to-playing-deandre-ayton-at-pf/

I'd like to see the Suns consider moving Ayton permanently to Power
Forward if he can fill the role. I believe it would take pressure off him
and make best use of his skills. That was his position at UofA.

I am thinking back to the Big E, Elvin Hayes, playing PF alongside the
shorter, bulkier Wes Unseld with the Baltimore/Washington Bullets.

Baynes is 6'10"-260. Ayton is 7'1"-250.

Unseld was 6'7-245. Hayes was 6'9-235
back when Centers were 6'9" or 6'10"-240.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Baynes is 6'10" - 260. Ayton is 7'1" - 250.

The Suns draft a legit 7 foot franchise center and BC, of all people, is open to moving him to PF. What has happened?

I'm really surprised you're open to that idea. I thought you would be the last to be ok with a move like that. I don't mean to pick at you. Surely you can see how someone would be surprised with your stance given your longterm calls for a legit Center to man the middle for the Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns draft a legit 7 foot franchise center and BC, of all people, is open to moving him to PF. What has happened?

I'm really surprised you're open to that idea. I thought you would be the last to be ok with a move like that. I don't mean to pick at you. Surely you can see how someone would be surprised with your stance given your longterm calls for a legit Center to man the middle for the Suns.
The answer, Hoop, is that size at Center is about bulk as well as height.

Look at Barkley playing Power Forward at an actual 6'4 1/2", but had
bulk with his big butt. The Round Mound of Rebound. :)

My major gripe was about Alvan Adams at 212 lbs, locking up the
Center position for a decade. Not his height. He had the skinniest
arms on the court. Including the coaches.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Baynes is 6'10"-260. Ayton is 7'1"-250.

Unseld was 6'7-245. Hayes was 6'9-235
back when Centers were 6'9" or 6'10"-240.

I've mentioned this before when it was brought up.

Ayton was NOT at his ideal position at UofA. The only reason he was at PF was they had an upperclassmen center who had no hope of playing PF, Ayton was FAR more effective when on the interior.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Right?!?