Kyler Evolution

MA Display

Reaction score
Pretty simple - run that bad boy on 3rd/4th and short...

Baltimore could have swung mightily in our favor with touchdowns & not field goals in the 1st half... (a product of Kliff - who needs to cash in on a product like Murray, and not Zane Gonzalez).

Kyler was the 1st overall pick, not the defense. If the defense went 1st overall, we would:
  • Have Quinnen Williams' going wild at DE.
  • Have Rosen still slinging to his heart's capacity (we all wish him well!)
  • Likely have hired a defensive coach...
But we didn't. So start going Riverboat Gambler Ron style (à la Carolina) while your crew is healthy & HUNGRY.

Ultimately, Kingsbury needs to let the reigns off of K1 and design runs in tense times.... or call double-moves from fitz/kee/kirk like wild.

Peace!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty simple - run that bad boy on 3rd/4th and short...

Baltimore could have swung mightily in our favor with touchdowns & not field goals in the 1st half... (a product of Kliff - who needs to cash in on a product like Murray, and not Zane Gonzalez).

Kyler was the 1st overall pick, not the defense. If the defense went 1st overall, we would:
  • Have Quinnen Williams' going wild at DE.
  • Have Rosen still slinging to his heart's capacity (we all wish him well!)
  • Likely have hired a defensive coach...
But we didn't. So start going Riverboat Gambler Ron style (à la Carolina) while your crew is healthy & HUNGRY.

Ultimately, Kingsbury needs to let the reigns off of K1 and design runs in tense times.... or call double-moves from fitz/kee/kirk like wild.

Peace!

Understand that Murray wasn't drafted 1st overall to run with the ball. He will use his feet to buy time & he will occasionally take off downfield, but KK has to be careful with designed run plays. Riverboat Gambler Ron now has a physically impaired QB. How long will K1 be healthy if he's running like Jackson or like Cam did when his body wasn't broken. If K1 did get injured in that manner, how HUNGRY do you think this team would be?? K1's arm is far more valuable than his legs are. If Jackson continues to run for over 100 yards in a game, he will be injured. Take that to the bank. The question isn't about if he gets hurt, it'll be when & how bad. With Jackson's long release & average accuracy, what value will he bring if his shoulders, ankles, and knees resemble Newton's??

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Understand that Murray wasn't drafted 1st overall to run with the ball. He will use his feet to buy time & he will occasionally take off downfield, but KK has to be careful with designed run plays. Riverboat Gambler Ron now has a physically impaired QB. How long will K1 be healthy if he's running like Jackson or like Cam did when his body wasn't broken. If K1 did get injured in that manner, how HUNGRY do you think this team would be?? K1's arm is far more valuable than his legs are. If Jackson continues to run for over 100 yards in a game, he will be injured. Take that to the bank. The question isn't about if he gets hurt, it'll be when & how bad. With Jackson's long release & average accuracy, what value will he bring if his shoulders, ankles, and knees resemble Newton's??

Perfectly said.

We're playing the long game with K1. We want a dynasty.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should worry about making the playoffs before worrying about a dynasty.

Win playoff games before worrying about a dynasty.

Win a super bowl before worrying about a dynasty.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should worry about making the playoffs before worrying about a dynasty.

Win playoff games before worrying about a dynasty.

Win a super bowl before worrying about a dynasty.

How about winning a regular season game first? :shrug: LOL

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL defenses can sniff out the rpo on short yardage situations. Imo. This ain't college. So it will happen..but I'm sure they are just playing it safe for now until the kid gets his feet under him. Jmo

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler doesn't have Cam's size so it makes sense to not run him like that.

However, Cam's injuries came from chasing a defender after a turnover in 2016 (messed his shoulder up long term) and then his shoulder getting drilled in the pocket in 2018 vs. The Steelers

He hurt his ankle in the backfield giving up on extending a play in preseason.

He hurt his ankle again against the Bucs scrambling and throwing the ball out of bounds.

Now maybe all the hits added up to lose limbs? However, it wasn't a run plays where he got hurt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler doesn't have Cam's size so it makes sense to not run him like that.

However, Cam's injuries came from chasing a defender after a turnover in 2016 (messed his shoulder up long term) and then his shoulder getting drilled in the pocket in 2018 vs. The Steelers

He hurt his ankle in the backfield giving up on extending a play in preseason.

He hurt his ankle again against the Bucs scrambling and throwing the ball out of bounds.

Now maybe all the hits added up to lose limbs? However, it wasn't a run plays where he got hurt.

I'd argue Cam is getting hurt because he is a big target and he doesnt avoid contact.

Lamar Jackson took more hits than Murray did.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will add that KM is much smaller than Lamar and Cam, so I bet coaches are more hesitant to just let him dart out their and will just use some safe design plays.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like this is a bit of revisionist history. He was drafted because he a very good passer and was a top athlete. His athleticism is one reason that was used to discount his lack of size. It is silly to now say that his unwillingness to use one of his dominant traits was part of the plan when we drafted him.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like this is a bit of revisionist history. He was drafted because he a very good passer and was a top athlete. His athleticism is one reason that was used to discount his lack of size. It is silly to now say that his unwillingness to use one of his dominant traits was part of the plan when we drafted him.
This is fair.

However, as someone who watched every Kyler college game...I didn't think he'd be throwing this well this soon. Well at least the last 5 Qrts/OT.

I thought if Russell Wi son could run as well he did then Kyler should find similar if not more success.

It did take till about midseason for the Seahawks to start using more read option plays.

Kyler's feel for when to run has to improve (still get down safely as well).

Sidenote: Kyler's already attempted almost 1/4 of the passing attempts did his rookie year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is fair.

However, as someone who watched every Kyler college game...I didn't think he'd be throwing this well this soon. Well at least the last 5 Qrts/OT.

I thought if Russell Wi son could run as well he did then Kyler should find similar if not more success.

It did take till about midseason for the Seahawks to start using more read option plays.

Kyler's feel for when to run has to improve (still get down safely as well).

Sidenote: Kyler's already attempted almost 1/4 of the passing attempts did his rookie year.

Russell Wilson is a comparison in stature, but the context with Wilson is even more important in the comparison than with Dak Prescott. Wilson came into a run-first team with a dominant defense and only needed to complete a handful of passes and runs to keep the clock moving and make a couple of key plays near the ends of games.

You're either depending on Murray to be the focal point of the offense or not. Murray is an extremely polished passer in an offense designed to scheme up open receivers by putting more out there than many teams are willing to. If he's tired of losing, he needs to take more risks with his feet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Who is the guy who posts theathletic content :)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah this is something that I think a lot of people didn't realize about him. From that article:

“This is one thing I don’t think everyone understands, when he was in college and he’s doing that, he’s not looking to run,” said Carolina coach Ron Rivera, whose Panthers play the Cardinals Sunday. “He’s looking to throw the ball downfield. He’s trying to create downfield. … I think people have to understand that he plays the way he plays, and when you watch him on tape from college to now, he’s an opportunistic runner, but at the same time, he’s going to hold onto the ball and look downfield. If he’s got an opportunity to throw it downfield, he will.”

“For me sitting in the pocket and throwing the ball is always my first choice,” he said Wednesday. “I haven’t really got out too much this season. … but if the opportunity presents itself, I’ve got to take it.”

Most of Murray's runs last year were scrambles after the pocket broke down or everyone was covered and he saw a lane to run through. I remember a stat that said Murray passed the ball on like 90% of his drop backs last year and most of those were from the pocket. All of his runs were from that other 10% with a few designed runs mixed in per game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing too, there are rpos being run. Maybe the d is keying on Murray forcing him to hand off.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want Kyler running. His passing ability will make defenses respect him. Kyler will run when there is an opportunity. Sooner or later he will escape the pocket and take off. We’ve seen this already. But designed runs I don’t care to see it.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah this is something that I think a lot of people didn't realize about him. From that article:

“This is one thing I don’t think everyone understands, when he was in college and he’s doing that, he’s not looking to run,” said Carolina coach Ron Rivera, whose Panthers play the Cardinals Sunday. “He’s looking to throw the ball downfield. He’s trying to create downfield. … I think people have to understand that he plays the way he plays, and when you watch him on tape from college to now, he’s an opportunistic runner, but at the same time, he’s going to hold onto the ball and look downfield. If he’s got an opportunity to throw it downfield, he will.”

“For me sitting in the pocket and throwing the ball is always my first choice,” he said Wednesday. “I haven’t really got out too much this season. … but if the opportunity presents itself, I’ve got to take it.”

Most of Murray's runs last year were scrambles after the pocket broke down or everyone was covered and he saw a lane to run through. I remember a stat that said Murray passed the ball on like 90% of his drop backs last year and most of those were from the pocket. All of his runs were from that other 10% with a few designed runs mixed in per game.

omg, this is almost word for word what I posted in another thread. I'm so awesome! lol..

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He was drafted because he was the best QB in the draft. His "most" dominant trait is his ability to throw accurate lasers with the quickest release since Dan Marino. His speed & athleticism combined with his arm make him a rare breed of QB. But, he wasn't drafted because he ran like Michael Vick. I seriously doubt if the Cardinals would have drafted a super fast QB who could only complete 55% of his passes. I did say that he does need to use his athleticism to extend plays (which he's already doing), and occasionally to run the ball downfield. My point is that the latter should never become the staple of his resume.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He was drafted because he was the best QB in the draft. His "most" dominant trait is his ability to throw accurate lasers with the quickest release since Dan Marino. His speed & athleticism combined with his arm make him a rare breed of QB. But, he wasn't drafted because he ran like Michael Vick. I seriously doubt if the Cardinals would have drafted a super fast QB who could only complete 55% of his passes. I did say that he does need to use his athleticism to extend plays (which he's already doing), and occasionally to run the ball downfield. My point is that the latter should never become the staple of his resume.
We drafted the entire player and skill set...which includes his athleticism. Anytime you draft a player who is fast and athletic, you expect him to play fast and athletic. Just because he has other traits as well, doesn't mean you expect him to be any less fast and athletic. Again, this argument is revisionist history.

Reactions: TJ

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We drafted the entire player and skill set...which includes his athleticism. Anytime you draft a player who is fast and athletic, you expect him to play fast and athletic. Just because he has other traits as well, doesn't mean you expect him to be any less fast and athletic. Again, this argument is revisionist history.

His speed & athleticism puts him in a better position to PASS the ball when he has to escape the pocket. Will he run when the opportunity presents itself. I’m sure he will. As important as that may be, it’ll remain secondary to him throwing the ball downfield. I agree that taking off & scampering 20 yards will make him that much more dangerous.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The first play against Baltimore was a broken play and he ran 11 yards for a first down. He can and will run, but I feel he will only run when he really has to.