Kyler Murray stats vs Ravens

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3 out of the 8 quarters were horrible. The lack of preseason reps, by Kylers own admission, had a clear effect on how things started.

Yes, the first 3 quarters were bad, but KK had more to do with that. I do agree that not playing enough in the preseason contributed to that ugliness. Until we tired them out, the Lions D had some say too. They shut down the Chargers yesterday too!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's exciting for sure but tempered by the fact that he has also led the league in passing attempts.
I think Carolina has one of the better pass defenses so he'll be tested this week.
3 out of the 8 quarters were horrible. The lack of preseason reps, by Kylers own admission, had a clear effect on how things started.
Could make the case if they took preseason seriously + PP not being suspended they are 2-0 and the talk of the NFL right now (outside of Dallas, New England, KC)

sigh

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This team still struggles to run the ball. Until they figure this out, Murray will always be under pressure and he will end up with a multi interception game. He's also going to get hit hard sooner rather than later on a sack. So far he's been able to see them coming and sits down to avoid the hit. One time soon there will be a blindside hit he doesn't see coming.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yes, the first 3 quarters were bad, but KK had more to do with that. I do agree that not playing enough in the preseason contributed to that ugliness. Until we tired them out, the Lions D had some say too. They shut down the Chargers yesterday too!

Not really, the Chargers had 2 TDs called back because of penalties on different drives. The Chargers beat themselves yesterday.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KK was too cute against the Lions.
Then was too cute against the Ravens in the redzone.

Lets hope he finds the solution this weekend.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not really, the Chargers had 2 TDs called back because of penalties on different drives. The Chargers beat themselves yesterday.
Overall the Lions won against the Chargers and are one of the unbeaten teams, and Baltimore looks like a really good D with a improved Lamar Jackson, with one of our 2 top CB we win both games. But shoulda coulda woulda.

we are 0-1-1 and we need more TD to win more games, FG doesn't cut it.

Panthers have a good D, not great this year and maybe not better than Lions or Ravens. If they aren't we could see KM get some TD but this soon in the season, it is difficult to say for sure who the teams to beat are, for now baltimore had two "bottom feeder" by the so called Experts, we will see what the next 3 games bring

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, this is one that drove me crazy. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, and would benefit from another angle. But to me, that looks like a pick if the DB turns his head.

There was another one, I think to Keesean Johnson (maybe), where it was thrown up with a hope and a prayer for him to snag it out of the air in a one on one battle.

I throw that kind of a ball to Fitz, of course, but a 6th round rookie makes me question some decision making. But no picks, no real complaints. I like what I've seen for the most part.

Because he threw the ball quickly, most DB's aren't ready to turn their head. Just like QB that have an internal clock on when the pocket is collapsing, DBs have that too about when they think the ball is being thrown/when to turn around.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I believe (no hard evidence to support it) that had they taken preseason seriously they beat Detroit. Lions defense is good but not great. Kliff certainly didn't do the offense any favors during those first few quarters and had he used preseason as a test period maybe he would have fared better in that game.

I look forward to the Carolina game to see if Kyler can continue growing but I still wants wins...he does too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Could make the case that if he doesn't pat the football he still completes it.

Sucks that play didn't work out another 3 points or a TD there would have been huge.
I watch that and see a guy who needs to step up into a pretty good pocket.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Based upon how bad Murray was beat its probably a sack if he steps up in the pocket there. Murray's depth kinda gave him a shot imo. The pat kills it.

However, if anything instead of stepping up in the pocket he probably should slide to his left a little bit and that would have given him the time needed.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The other day I read/saw somewhere (on here - espn? - somewhere) that K2 had 60 snaps during preseason games. They were comparing the number of snaps that different qb's had taken. He had quite a few more than a lot of the ones in the chart, but I can't remember who the other qb's were?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I read/saw somewhere (on here - espn? - somewhere) that K2 had 60 snaps during preseason games. They were comparing the number of snaps that different qb's had taken. He had quite a few more than a lot of the ones in the chart, but I can't remember who the other qb's were?

He had lots of snaps but they didn't practice the actual offense or design proper protection.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Based upon how bad Murray was beat its probably a sack if he steps up in the pocket there. Murray's depth kinda gave him a shot imo. The pat kills it.

However, if anything instead of stepping up in the pocket he probably should slide to his left a little bit and that would have given him the time needed.

SoonerLou, so you're an OU fan (obviously).

Who is your 2nd favorite college team sir (i.e. who else do you root for)? Missouri maybe? Notre Dame? One of the Pac 12 schools like USC?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Murray is making a ton of mistakes, like EVERY rookie QB does.

But that means his potential is scary good. Hes already a decent QB with limited starts in college.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Murray is making a ton of mistakes, like EVERY rookie QB does.

But that means his potential is scary good. Hes already a decent QB with limited starts in college.
The only big things I would like to see him progress with is his movement in the pocket(specifically moving up as his drops seem deep) and utilizing his mobility to punish teams for playing man-coverage. I think those are two areas where he could both help his offensive line and help his wide receivers (and himself) immensely. If edge rushers have to worry more about contain and teams have to play more zone, it will really help our offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've been pleasantly surprised by the offensive line.

Most of the pressure Murray is seeing seems the be on 5+ man rushes.

Sean Kugler and JR Sweezy (of all people) have improved this line.
I would agree. It is a group with very little top end talent that has been playing at a league average level.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would agree. It is a group with very little top end talent that has been playing at a league average level.

Well the guards and centers have maybe been playing average - against the pass. They are poor run blockers however.

The tackles are below average, a good speed rusher consistently beats both.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well the guards and centers have maybe been playing average - against the pass. They are poor run blockers however.

The tackles are below average, a good speed rusher consistently beats both.
Good speed rusher beat lots of dudes when you have a QB who doesn't move well in the pocket and you throw 45 times per game. This isn't Madden and college where quality pass rushers get eliminated from games. You throw enough times, players are going to give up sacks.

Also, not being able to run the ball vs teams who are very good against the run and you are trailing the entire game is not an indicator of your ability to run block.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The only big things I would like to see him progress with is his movement in the pocket(specifically moving up as his drops seem deep) and utilizing his mobility to punish teams for playing man-coverage. I think those are two areas where he could both help his offensive line and help his wide receivers (and himself) immensely. If edge rushers have to worry more about contain and teams have to play more zone, it will really help our offense.

The problem is that I don't see a lot of teams playing man coverage. a lot of five and six in the box are enough to discourage Murray from trying to move up or get outside. Our WRs are running side to side and opponents are getting good exchanges often.

The reason why Murray and Fitz are connecting on these 20-30 yard passes is because when the protection holds up, there's no one in those middle zones.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good speed rusher beat lots of dudes when you have a QB who doesn't move well in the pocket and you throw 45 times per game. This isn't Madden and college where quality pass rushers get eliminated from games. You throw enough times, players are going to give up sacks.

Also, not being able to run the ball vs teams who are very good against the run and you are trailing the entire game is not an indicator of your ability to run block.

I am not going off of just the last game. I have watched our lineman closely in slow motion the last few years, and I can say with confidence Pugh and Shipley are bad run blockers. Humphries is actually usually a better run blocker than pass blocker and is overall adequate at run blocking. I am not familiar enough with Sweezy or Murray yet.

Here is the PFF grades for the last game.

LT D.J. Humphries: 51.2 (65.0 PB, 41.7 RB)

LG Justin Pugh: 68.7 (78.5 PB, 60.0 RB)

C A. Q. Shipley: 52.3 (57.2 PB, 47.3 RB)

RG J. R. Sweezy: 59.3 (78.5 PB, 46.7 RB)

RT Justin Murray: 41.1 (37.6 PB, 53.5 RB)

I am surprised Pugh did this well, this is the best PFF grades I have ever seen for him. Overall these are not grades to be proud of though.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I am not going off of just the last game. I have watched our lineman closely in slow motion the last few years, and I can say with confidence Pugh and Shipley are bad run blockers. Humphries is actually usually a better run blocker than pass blocker and is overall adequate at run blocking. I am not familiar enough with Sweezy or Murray yet.

Here is the PFF grades for the last game.

LT D.J. Humphries: 51.2 (65.0 PB, 41.7 RB)

LG Justin Pugh: 68.7 (78.5 PB, 60.0 RB)

C A. Q. Shipley: 52.3 (57.2 PB, 47.3 RB)

RG J. R. Sweezy: 59.3 (78.5 PB, 46.7 RB)

RT Justin Murray: 41.1 (37.6 PB, 53.5 RB)

I am surprised Pugh did this well, this is the best PFF grades I have ever seen for him. Overall these are not grades to be proud of though.

Nice work sir.

The analysis is bolstered by our very poor rushing numbers vs. BAL, and, by the fact that, IMO, Murray was under duress on most of his pass attempts.

Hopefully, the line will play better at home, against a less talented CAR front seven. I think they will.