2020 Cap Space & Implications

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve heard it said that the Cardinals will have somewhere around $100 million when it comes to cap space next off-season? Is that true? And if so, what does that actually mean going into next season? How many top free agents can they expect to bring in?

Is cap space overrated? Obviously a team cannot rebuild solely through free agency and Keim’s draft history has been suspect the last few years...So are getting our hopes up for nothing when we hear of all that available money?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends who comes available too and we will likely resign some of our own guys.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends who comes available too and we will likely resign some of our own guys.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Who is in a contract year?
Swearinger I ll pass
Cassius Marsh I will try to resign, 2 years 6 mil
Reddick... See u
Humphries I would offer a 2 year 15 mil
Peters must be resigned, he is 31, so a 3 year deal 12 mil should be enough good

I would trade David Johnson to Tampa Bay

I would cut Alford

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Somewhere around 80 mil. If we resign Fitz, Peters and DJ more likely 60 mil.

The seahawks will also have about the same space.

Colts and fins have the most.

Even Dallas has a lot of space somehow.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Who is in a contract year?
Swearinger I ll pass
Cassius Marsh I will try to resign, 2 years 6 mil
Reddick... See u
Humphries I would offer a 2 year 15 mil
Peters must be resigned, he is 31, so a 3 year deal 12 mil should be enough good

I would trade David Johnson to Tampa Bay

I would cut Alford

Glad that we are all in agreement on Reddick. Bruce Arians will collapse on the field before he ever eats David Jonhson’s Contract

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think you can hope that the Cards hold on to 2 of their pending free agents and add 2 quality free agents next year. That's about it. The Cards will be in the middle of the top third of teams with cap space, but it doesn't matter. The cap is going up $10 million a season, so teams are more pressed about what positions they're allocating money to and setting new markets than about clearing cap.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can hope that the Cards hold on to 2 of their pending free agents and add 2 quality free agents next year. That's about it. The Cards will be in the middle of the top third of teams with cap space, but it doesn't matter. The cap is going up $10 million a season, so teams are more pressed about what positions they're allocating money to and setting new markets than about clearing cap.

This sounds about right to me.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is why you make trades now if players are unhappy. It's easy to sign your own guys.
Larry will be off the books as well
No decent O lineman will hit the open market - so there will be no help there
I think you move to find guys and make trades now.
If the Cardinals drop 2 more games and end up 4.5 back after 5 games....stick a fork in em and begin phase 2 of KK and K1

It'll be a surprise if the season even starts on time next year with the impending contract between players and owners....it's never a clean or easy contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peters is under contract through 2020. Reddick is also under contract in 2020.
Zero chance DJ Humphries signs for less than $10 million per year. Someone will give him five years, $70 million.

Cards are scheduled to have $81 million in cap space, according to OvertheCap.

I REALLY don't think anyone is paying DJ Humphries that much. Nobody wants him to be their left tackle. He is below average, and I seriously doubt anyone is going to break the bank for him.

He is not much better than Justin Murray who we picked off of waivers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I REALLY don't think anyone is paying DJ Humphries that much. Nobody wants him to be their left tackle. He is below average, and I seriously doubt anyone is going to break the bank for him.

If he plays 14 or more games this season, I think you're going to be surprised. $10 million per year would put him smack dab in the middle of LT salaries.

The Cards have 22 pending free agents next year. Yikes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he plays 14 or more games this season, I think you're going to be surprised. $10 million per year would put him smack dab in the middle of LT salaries.

Yes that is why I said the team will look very different next year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not the scarce and valued QB position, but LT's close and I do not see us letting Humphries go since we really do not have better options if you depend on free agency. Now if Humphries does not stay healthy, then I think the Cards will be forced to trade during this season or throw a rookies tackle from the draft into the mix

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It is a supply and demand world. He will be the best FA LT next year under 30. The 16th highest paid LT contract at this point in time averages 10 mil and change.

2 years ago Charles Leno signed a 4yr, 37 mil ext with the Bears. Inflate that two years and you can probably expect that contract to cost 44.4 mil next offseason. That equates to 11.1 mil per year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Cap space and draft capital does not mean diddly-squat if the GM cannot identify talent.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

This sounds about right to me.

Agree 100%. Hump will get paid and we should do our best to keep him. I bet he gets 80 mill if he gets past the exclusive signing period. Maybe even 90. And yes...... That would be "Overpaid".

But only the middle of the pack OT's make it to free agency. the top ones get paid and the middle tier ones get overpaid.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes that is why I said the team will look very different next year.

But what can they do, really? Are they going to hire 4 new starting offensive linemen? They don't have the money to do that. Who knows what they think about Mason Cole right now (although at least he's dressing for game day). What are their starting needs going to look like?

20% probability a safety (Swearinger is scheduled fore Free Agency)
80% probability an offensive tackle (Gilbert and Humphries are scheduled for free agency)
60% probability of a defensive end (Gunter is scheduled for free agency)
80% probability of a rush end (Cassius and Suggs are scheduled for free agency)
20% probability of an outside receiver

You probably can't improve on Reddick right now unless you hit on a mid-round draft pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But what can they do, really? Are they going to hire 4 new starting offensive linemen? They don't have the money to do that. Who knows what they think about Mason Cole right now (although at least he's dressing for game day). What are their starting needs going to look like?

80% probability an offensive tackle (Gilbert and Humphries are scheduled for free agency)

You probably can't improve on Reddick right now unless you hit on a mid-round draft pick.

Best pass rusher they can get.

At least one Defensive End

Melvin Gordon seems like a good idea to me, if David does not get his act together real soon, of course a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a back could work too.

They will spend some money on tackle, even if it is just for a backup.

I expect them to go after a guard because Pugh is terrible.

I don't think they will go after a safety, I think one of the Thompsons will be starting next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If i am looking at the expiring contracts and the roster as a hole, here is what I see.

Our interior OL stays pretty much the same. My guess is that they let Shipley walk and have a battle between Galliard and Cole at C.

OT is a re-design unless one of the fringe guys we signed develops significantly. The only real option that prevents an overhaul is re-signing DJ Humphries to a long term deal. I think Keim will want to due to the narrative regarding his 1st round draft history, and I won't be shocked if it happens in-season.

RB will have some natural turnover, but not much.

WR will be pretty stable with the only real question being Fitzgerald. The only WR I see us adding is a 1st rounder or trading for a top end guy. WRs 2-7 are pretty much set.

TE will need players. The quality of those depends on how creative Kliff wants to be. I think they would be a great asset to his scheme.

QB is probably stagnant as they will likely re-sign Hundley.

DE will need more bodies and we will likely try to find a developmental NT.

OLB is the same. Reed, Marsh and Suggs will be gone with very little behind them to develop. I could see them making a run at Whitney Mercilus, Stephen Weatherly or bringing back Markus Golden. This is probably a spot where they spend.

ILB - I expect it stays the same with only bottom level FA or mid to late draft picks.

CB - I hope we see some stability. I would bring back Brock as he has played well.

S - Swearinger is probably gone but it is a thin S FA class. This is another candidate for a highly drafted position, but they might also roll with Baker and the Thompson's and add a cheap vet. The other option would be if Joseph pushed hard to add Justin Simmons though I think he is more of a FS so that would require a Baker move.

Our guys who I think we re-sign

QB - Brett Hundley
OL - Max Garcia
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
OL - DJ Humphries
CB - Tramaine Brock
DL - Either Gunter or Bullard
All of our RFAs.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is why you make trades now if players are unhappy. It's easy to sign your own guys.
Larry will be off the books as well
No decent O lineman will hit the open market - so there will be no help there
I think you move to find guys and make trades now.
If the Cardinals drop 2 more games and end up 4.5 back after 5 games....stick a fork in em and begin phase 2 of KK and K1

It'll be a surprise if the season even starts on time next year with the impending contract between players and owners....it's never a clean or easy contract.

I’ve never believed this will be Larry’s last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose