15 thoughts - Ravens game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 - At least the Cards has been in both of the first two games in the 4th quarters. That is a huge improvement from last season.

2 - How does such a little man throw so hard? #KylerMurray

3 – Hats off to Lamar Jackson. I thought he would be a colossal bust when he came out of Louisville. Waiter, I will have my portion of crow now, please.

4 - The Cards kicked field goals from the 4, the 3 and the 2. Can’t have three missed (almost) goal line opportunities, and Kingsbury has been a lot less aggressive so far than I had thought.

5 – It’s probably stretching it (just a little) to call it a breakout game from Haason Reddick, but I do think he took a step away from the Nkemdiche-zone.

6 - I am not going to panic that Andy Isabella was a healthy scratch, but it’s not exactly a good sign either.

7 - Hey, the clap snap is back! And no penalties this time. Anyone know what’s the rule is?

8 - That 1st drive from the Ravens, as well as their 2nd drive in the 3rd quarter is by far the worst kinds, in my opinion. I would much rather that the opponent score lightening quick on two, three or four plays than that they methodically go the entire field and still score.

9 - I would not be surprised if Justin Murray has been on a short leash, and that this performance will push him out of the lineup, or at least very close to with next week being decisive for him. Jordan Mills will probably replace him, but personally I would prefer Brett Toth, only because I assume they are almost equally good, and I really, really like Toth’s story.

10 - Cool to see Cassius Marsh having a much bigger role on the defense. I like him, and it’s a huge deal if he produces every week. Oh, and have you seen him? He looks like a madman, and it never hurts to have those guys on defense.

11 - In only four quarters (one last week, three this week) I have gotten more exited with the offense than all of last season.

12 – I was a little surprised that they preferred Deionte Thompson over Chris Jones when playing five or more defensive backs.

13 – Like last week the defense were much more successful after halftime. Kudos, Mr. Joseph. Kudos.

14 - I like Byron Murphy.

15 - I am not that critical. I have more hope for this team now than I have had in a long time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Haasan Reddick:
1. There is a reason the Ravens ran all over the Cardinals
2. There is a reason the Ravens tight ends were so effective.

Reddick is a bust. He will be shown the door in the offseason and one would hope Kiem goes with him.

‐----------------

The Ravens were inside the 10 yard line at the end of that game. That would have given them 30 pts.

The Cardinals had 3 field goals. Even if they score 4 touchdowns. They lose 28-30.

Still lose the game even if they go for it on 4th down in the redzone and make it at every opportunity.

You can say they could have gone for two but why and how if the Ravens have the ball last?

Any way you cut it, the Cardinals lose the game yesterday. Which is OK, Ravens are the better team right now.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
1 - At least the Cards has been in both of the first two games in the 4th quarters. That is a huge improvement from last season.

3 – Hats off to Lamar Jackson. I thought he would be a colossal bust when he came out of Louisville. Waiter, I will have my portion of crow now, please.

4 - The Cards kicked field goals from the 4, the 3 and the 2. Can’t have three missed (almost) goal line opportunities, and Kingsbury has been a lot less aggressive so far than I had thought.

5 – It’s probably stretching it (just a little) to call it a breakout game from Haason Reddick, but I do think he took a step away from the Nkemdiche-zone.

6 - I am not going to panic that Andy Isabella was a healthy scratch, but it’s not exactly a good sign either.

7 - Hey, the clap snap is back! And no penalties this time. Anyone know what’s the rule is?

8 - That 1st drive from the Ravens, as well as their 2nd drive in the 3rd quarter is by far the worst kinds, in my opinion. I would much rather that the opponent score lightening quick on two, three or four plays than that they methodically go the entire field and still score.

9 - I would not be surprised if Justin Murray has been on a short leash, and that this performance will push him out of the lineup, or at least very close to with next week being decisive for him. Jordan Mills will probably replace him, but personally I would prefer Brett Toth, only because I assume they are almost equally good, and I really, really like Toth’s story.

10 - Cool to see Cassius Marsh having a much bigger role on the defense. I like him, and it’s a huge deal if he produces every week. Oh, and have you seen him? He looks like a madman, and it never hurts to have those guys on defense.

11 - In only four quarters (one last week, three this week) I have gotten more exited with the offense than all of last season.

12 – I was a little surprised that they preferred Deionte Thompson over Chris Jones when playing five or more defensive backs.

13 – Like last week the defense were much more successful after halftime. Kudos, Mr. Joseph. Kudos.

15 - I am not that critical. I have more hope for this team now than I have had in a long time.

4. We need to run the ball more when we are in the red zone.
6. Isabelle - I think it is more about the great play of Keeshan Johnson that is it about isabella. Johnson is polished and plays very well.
7. For the clap, its seems the refs have a problem with fake clapping, actual clapping appears ok.
9. For Justin Muarry - i think hes played OK considering he been on the team for 2 weeks. More curious why we traded Korey Cunningham to the pats if we were that thin at OT.

There are a lot of positives to take away over the past 2 weeks. If Peterson and Alford were playing we might be 2 and 0. They migh consider using TE's a bit more to slow down pass rushers and give Kyler more time. Sky is the limit for Kyler.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haasan Reddick:

Reddick is a bust. He will be shown the door in the offseason and one would hope Kiem goes with him.

‐----------------

The Ravens were inside the 10 yard line at the end of that game. That would have given them 30 pts.

The Cardinals had 3 field goals. Even if they score 4 touchdowns. They lose 28-30.

Still lose the game even if they go for it on 4th down in the redzone and make it at every opportunity.

You can say they could have gone for two but why and how if the Ravens have the ball last?

Any way you cut it, the Cardinals lose the game yesterday. Which is OK, Ravens are the better team right now.

I can see you want to make Reddick the whipping boy - but he alone is not responsible from stopping Jackson- he was not a spy.
Likewise he is far from the only one assigned to guard the TE's

Also I do not agree the Ravens were guaranteed to get a touchdown at the end of the game - a fg yes, but not a touchdown.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

7- the ball has to come out if you clap, if it doesn't, then they call a penalty.

15- me 2

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haasan Reddick:

‐----------------

If this and that and this and that happen we lose

If that and this and that and this happen we win.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm rewatching the game and man the D stunk it up in the first half. They were bad. Seem lost and not sure who to cover.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The DBs feel like the weakest link

Jackson's running did hurt but there were wide open TEs all game. There were 2 wide open TEs in the endzone when Hurst go the last TD. There were 3 DBs/CBs covering one WR while 2 TEs were open on that play.

They D still looks lost on who to cover.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
... against the Cardinals. Against anyone else, not so much!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
...dbs
This is the one stipulation where it is allowed because the clock was running out.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
... against the Cardinals. Against anyone else, not so much!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
...dbs
Yes, I left that part out, what cardssunsdbacks said. If the clock is running down & you're hurrying to get the play off, it's supposed to not be called in a dire situation like that. Plenty of time left on the play clock, you clap, ball doesn't come out............penalty. They nailed Rodgers with it first game of the season & that's the explanation the ref gave him.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Haasan Reddick:

‐----------------

I don’t like this kind of thinking, Rugby. Scores changes games, and thus none of us has any idea of how the game would develop if, say, the Cards scored a touchdown on just one of those red zone trips. And certainly not if four possessions would have gone differently. Play calls, systems used, lineups, maybe even energy put into it, would probably be different if the score was different.

That kind of thinking is, in my opinion, only valid on the last drive where basically nothing can happen afterwards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think special teams should have made your list. Although special teams have been outstanding they took a step backwards Sunday. Personal foul interfering with the punt returner and Byrd’s mistake on the kickoff hurt.

P.S. Love your thread. I look forward to it every week.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If this and that and this and that happen we lose

If that and this and that and this happen we win.
Agreed.

Lot of comments about going for it on 4th down.

Not sure that would have changed the out come. Just sayin'

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I can see you want to make Reddick the whipping boy - but he alone is not responsible from stopping Jackson- he was not a spy.
Likewise he is far from the only one assigned to guard the TE's

I want to make Reddick our starting ILBer, and an elite talent justifying his draft position. Yet, what I want and what he produces are two different things.

Its not Reddicks job to stop Jackson, but it is to cover tight ends and stop running backs.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don’t like this kind of thinking, Rugby. Scores changes games, and thus none of us has any idea of how the game would develop if, say, the Cards scored a touchdown on just one of those red zone trips. And certainly not if four possessions would have gone differently. Play calls, systems used, lineups, maybe even energy put into it, would probably be different if the score was different.

That kind of thinking is, in my opinion, only valid on the last drive where basically nothing can happen afterwards.
Agreed.

Going for it on 4th down in the redzone and not keeping the game within one score is going to have an effect as well.

Works both ways

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jackson's running did hurt but there were wide open TEs all game. There were 2 wide open TEs in the endzone when Hurst go the last TD. There were 3 DBs/CBs covering one WR while 2 TEs were open on that play.

They D still looks lost on who to cover.

Cards have not been able to cover a TE in many years.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've said this before, but team success has a lot to do with how a defense performs after their offense scores (TD or FG). When the D responds with a 3 & out, it gets the O back out on the field & makes it easier for them to continue their momentum. In this respect, I think our D failed miserably. Pretty much after every trip to the red zone by our O, the D then let the Ravens go on long, time consuming drives that pretty much took momentum away from our offense. Especially in the 3rd quarter when we had the nice drive & 2 point conversion. The Ravens then kept the ball for like 8 minutes. Even though they had to settle for a FG, it took all the air out of our offensive balloon. Bottom line, our O needs to punch it in when they get into the red zone & our D needs to be more aggressive & create some turnovers. Isn't that what VJ's defenses were known for in the past??

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed.

Going for it on 4th down in the redzone and not keeping the game within one score is going to have an effect as well.

Works both ways

I agree.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score

Completely Agree. We won't win more than 5 games this year, but at least, two games in this year, the games have been watchable. That wasn't the case last year.

Way, way, way too early to be concerned about playing time for a small school WR.

I won't be surprised at all if Mills plays this week. I think he just needed a week (maybe two) on the roster to get up to speed with our playbook. At this point, he's just a better player than Murray.

He doubled his play time from 16% to 28% of the defensive snaps from the two games. Let's see if that trend continues.

As with your #1, I completely agree. I still don't think we win more than 5 games though.

Again, this will be interesting to watch how their playtime is split this week against Carolina. Chris Jones dropped from 67% down to 38% against the Ravens. Thompson was relegated to only Teams for the opener, but managed to be on the field for 19% of Defensive snaps in week 2.

As someone else mentioned, I look forward to your write-ups each week.

The other big change between the two games was Keeshawn had his play time slashed from 76%, down to 32% of the Offensive Snaps. Most of this attributable to Crabtree, but Byrd also picked up a few extra snaps.

Go Cards!!!