The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Correct. But I've often wondered how the League Office got wind of it in the first place? I could see them getting suspicious if it involved a superstar but he was a solid though pretty routine addition. Joe Smith was a highly coveted player coming out of college but was nothing special as a pro especially given he was drafted first out of Maryland.
That is an interesting question. Here is what I found.

According to J.A. Adande, then of the Los Angeles Times, the entire plan was blown open when agents Eric Fleisher and Andrew Miller parted ways. Miller retained Smith and superstar teammate Kevin Garnett in the split, which prompted a lawsuit that led to the unearthing of many documents, including those detailing the Timberwolves’ illegal agreement with Smith.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/nba-joe-smith-illegal-contract-timberwolves

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting question. Here is what I found.

According to J.A. Adande, then of the Los Angeles Times, the entire plan was blown open when agents Eric Fleisher and Andrew Miller parted ways. Miller retained Smith and superstar teammate Kevin Garnett in the split, which prompted a lawsuit that led to the unearthing of many documents, including those detailing the Timberwolves’ illegal agreement with Smith.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/nba-joe-smith-illegal-contract-timberwolves

Thanks for finding that, it explains much.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orlando picks up $12.3 million option on Markelle Fultz through the 2020-21 season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orlando picks up $12.3 million option on Markelle Fultz through the 2020-21 season.

That's a lot of money but it's also a no-brainer. He was the #1 overall pick for a reason and if they can get him to look like a lottery pick this year then that's a small price to pay to control his future because that 4th year option also gives them the ability to extend a qualifying offer after year 4, making him a restricted free agent. They've got 2 years to make it work now, which should also help give Fultz some confidence as far as Orlando is telling him they're willing to give him some time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of money but it's also a no-brainer. He was the #1 overall pick for a reason and if they can get him to look like a lottery pick this year then that's a small price to pay to control his future because that 4th year option also gives them the ability to extend a qualifying offer after year 4, making him a restricted free agent. They've got 2 years to make it work now, which should also help give Fultz some confidence as far as Orlando is telling him they're willing to give him some time.

It looks like the Magic are committed to Fultz and their current roster. They need a star so I guess they are hoping he becomes one. They have some nice young players. The only real question is that Fultz has only played in 33 NBA games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He looks more fluid in a lot of his workouts this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks more fluid in a lot of his workouts this year.

This is encouraging but we will see how Fultz looks when he plays some games.

Three of the first four picks in the 2017 draft (Fultz (1), Ball (2) and Jackson (3) have not had careers as expected thus far.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is encouraging but we will see how Fultz looks when he plays some games.

Three of the first four picks in the 2017 draft (Fultz (1), Ball (2) and Jackson (3) have not had careers as expected thus far.

He's doing full windmill dunks now, before it seemed like even 5-10ft shots were painful.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's doing full windmill dunks now, before it seemed like even 5-10ft shots were painful.

It's a low risk, high reward situation for the Magic. They didn't give up much in the trade with the 76ers. I'm guessing the protected OKC pick they gave up is not that good.

It sounds like you are following Fultz.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Curry plans to play in the 2020 Olympics. This should be great news.

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry is committed to playing for Team USA in next summer's Olympic Games in Tokyo.

"That is the plan, for sure," Curry said in an interview with ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "You know, obviously knock on wood, you don't want any injuries or things like that to interfere."

This would mark Curry's first appearance in the Olympics, an experience he said he's looking forward to, when asked specifically by Nichols whether he was committing to the team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27642127/curry-commits-olympics-plan

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard for Isaiah Thomas to catch a break.

@ShamsCharania

Washington Wizards guard Isaiah Thomas underwent surgery to repair a ligament in his left thumb and will be sidelined 6-to-8 weeks.

9:41 AM - 18 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report indicates Damian Lillard is also willing to play for the 2020 Olympic team.

Despite being around a year out from the Olympics getting underway, Lillard is confident he can help claim the gold medal.

“I plan on being a part of that. I plan on playing,” Lillard said exclusively to news.com.au.

When asked about adding an Olympic medal to his trophy cabinet, Lillard was emphatic: “Definitely”.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/ameri...s/news-story/0b370c2035a83e3e0538acae8da960e0

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers awarded a $1.75 million disabled player exception for DeMarcus Cousins.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

The Lakers have been granted a disabled player exception worth $1.75M from the NBA for the expected season-ending Achilles injury to DeMarcus Cousins, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. It expires on March 10, 2020.

5:02 PM - 18 Sep 2019

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's hard for Isaiah Thomas to catch a break.

9:41 AM - 18 Sep 2019
Sadly, when I saw the first line of your post, I was thinking the original Isaiah Thomas getting accused of sexual harrassment again. :(

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA makes a move in the right direction by putting some teeth into tampering violations. Of course enforcement is the next step.

NEW YORK -- The NBA's board of governors on Friday unanimously approved a series of measures to more strictly enforce compliance with tampering and salary-cap circumvention.

In addition to being subject to fines up to $10 million, teams can also lose draft picks, executives can be suspended, and contracts can be voided when rules are not followed. In addition, teams must save communications with agents for one year, and random auditing of a team's communication with agents and other teams can take place.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27662480/nba-board-passes-stricter-tampering-measures

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Magic plan to redshirt Chuma Okeke.

I think other teams have done something similar. I believe the Nuggets planned to sit Michael Porter Jr. in his rookie season.

Sources: The Orlando Magic plan to redshirt No. 16 overall pick Chuma Okeke this season. Creative move by both sides allows Okeke to focus on ACL rehab while still being in team's long-term plans and receiving salary of 16th pick.

7:00 AM - 23 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the interesting thing about Okeke is he will not sign his rookie deal until 2020.

It makes me wonder about his salary this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Former NBA player Andre Emmett, who played two seasons with the Nets and Grizzlies, was murdered this morning in Dallas. Emmett recently became a father. He played at Texas Tech and was No. 36 pick in 2004 draft. RIP.

9:14 AM - 23 Sep 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the interesting thing about Okeke is he will not sign his rookie deal until 2020.

It makes me wonder about his salary this season.

I tried to find more on that, basically it's a handshake deal at this point but the benefit to Okeke is that he'll be getting more money next season by signing then because the rookie scale goes up annually and he'll be paid like the #16 pick in the 2020 draft, which will give him a few hundred thousand over the 2 guaranteed years. Apparently there isn't an issue with him waiting either as far as how his rehab will work. He'll have access to their facilities still. The only thing in the CBA about it says that he can't receive coaching from the team but he'll be rehabbing, so coaching isn't an issue.

If he does get healthy enough to play before the year is over then he may sign with their G-League team to work out with them and start to get a feel for things. The Magic recently acquired their own G-League team so that plays a part in this decision, it's not like they're sending him off to another team that isn't under their control. They'll be able to dictate what, if anything, he does with their affiliate.

Here's a link that clears some of the issues up. It's rare, for sure, but I think this could open the door for it to happen more in the future.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2019/...a-okeke-will-get-redshirt-year-orlando-magic/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to find more on that, basically it's a handshake deal at this point but the benefit to Okeke is that he'll be getting more money next season by signing then because the rookie scale goes up annually and he'll be paid like the #16 pick in the 2020 draft, which will give him a few hundred thousand over the 2 guaranteed years. Apparently there isn't an issue with him waiting either as far as how his rehab will work. He'll have access to their facilities still. The only thing in the CBA about it says that he can't receive coaching from the team but he'll be rehabbing, so coaching isn't an issue.

If he does get healthy enough to play before the year is over then he may sign with their G-League team to work out with them and start to get a feel for things. The Magic recently acquired their own G-League team so that plays a part in this decision, it's not like they're sending him off to another team that isn't under their control. They'll be able to dictate what, if anything, he does with their affiliate.

Here's a link that clears some of the issues up. It's rare, for sure, but I think this could open the door for it to happen more in the future.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2019/...a-okeke-will-get-redshirt-year-orlando-magic/

It's still a bit risky in my opinion. I suspect and hope that Okeke is insured if he incurs a different injury.

I can only guess his agent might have indicated during the draft that he was willing to wait to sign a contract. Maybe this helped get him drafted in the first round.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Chuma Okeke will sign a rookie-scale contract with Orlando's G-League team the Lakeland Magic while he rehabs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still a bit risky in my opinion. I suspect and hope that Okeke is insured if he incurs a different injury.

I can only guess his agent might have indicated during the draft that he was willing to wait to sign a contract. Maybe this is helped get him drafted in the first round.

From what I've read, I guess that is part of why he was taken so high. He was projected to be a late 1st round pick or to fall in the 20's so the Magic did reach for him but he was willing to wait to sign his deal and that all factored into the decision. If the Magic screw him, that could end up being very bad for them. I would think he's also spoken with the player's association to make sure that they would have his back if for some reason the Magic decide not to extend the offer to him next offseason. He only tore his ACL and while that is a significant injury, it shouldn't be a problem in the future for him or lead to other injury issues right away. Hopefully it works out for him because I'd like to see the NBA do this more often down the line.