Quick Reactions - Week 2

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
  • Chandler Jones was completely invisible, and if he was seen, it was him getting juked out of his cleats by Lamar.
  • So was Suggs. Guess he was doing his former team a favor by checking out
  • Our safeties are playing like doo doo. Swearinger hasn't made one signature play since he came back. Baker makes the occasional nice tackle, but gets his ass handed to him in coverage far too often. Vance should consider having him in the box more like we used to do w/ A-Dub
  • The interior of the line held its own today. Peters had better not miss any time. We are still dangerously thin at that position. Shout out to Darius Philon
  • Hasaan made a couple of plays, including a PD, so I guess I'm glad he did a thing.
  • Overall, I like the defense's hustle. They may not be the most talented, but it's obvious that they will play hard for Vance Joseph. The team quit on Wilks and Holcomb last season.
  • This was the game that started making me miss Patrick Peterson. As much as I admire Lamar's significant transition from year one to year two, he shouldn't have those kind of passing numbers. We need better coverage and the safeties need less responsibilities since they're struggling.
  • A team with Kliff and David Johnson should not have 21 yards total rushing. That's on Kliff for having an imbalanced offense. You have a QB who runs a 4.3 and one of the best RBs in the game. Use them.
  • Kyler and Kliff need to figure something out w/r/t the red zone offense, because it's pretty brutal. The only thing that benefits is Zane Gonzales's stats. Kyler cant throw a fade pass to save his life (reminded me of how Kevin Kolb used to throw his). I'm likely doing more read option plays and getting Kyler out on the edges.
  • Kyler is starting to throw off of his back foot more and I'm not sure why. This is going to get him in trouble if he can't drive his passes forward with his legs.
  • Feels like, barring injury, Andy Isabella is going to get the "knee deep" treatment. I said last week that he was WR7 and I was right. Him and Butler are likely redshirting this year. Shout out to KeeSean for balling out, but he shouldnt be the one leading this rookie corp.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I said Swearinger was an above average player and I must of jinxed him.

Dude has been awful so far.

I'd start looking at Deionte Thompson starting next week. Hes been bad.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler is starting to throw off of his back foot more and I'm not sure why. This is going to get him in trouble if he can't drive his passes forward with his legs.

Uhh big uglies in his face?

Everytime the announcer said he was throwing off his back foo was when he was under duress. Got to give him credit for still throwing an accurate ball and taking a hit.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kyler is starting to throw off of his back foot more and I'm not sure why. This is going to get him in trouble if he can't drive his passes forward with his legs.

Everytime the announcer said he was throwing off his back foo was when he was under duress. Got to give him credit for still throwing an accurate ball and taking a hit.
He does it with or without pressure in his face. It's a very awkward motion, but that ball hangs up there like a punt.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
KeeSean will be a fixture here. He ahas Murrays trust, a long with Fitz and Kirk. TE's made some grabs when given the chance. Keep using them.
This was a matchup nightmare for this D. I think L. Jackson is only gonna get better reading D's and execution.
Swearininger isn't doing much. I'd be inclined to go with another rook right now. Shame, but even Tre Boston looked better last season...which doesn't say much.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
  • Chandler Jones was completely invisible, and if he was seen, it was him getting juked out of his cleats by Lamar.

That's the thing that was driving me nuts. With 5 guys on the LOS, why couldn't they set the edges better? Last year against Mahomes, they did such an excellent job of keeping him in the pocket. Yesterday, Lamar had the option to burst outside really just about every play. You could see it the second the play started. So I don't know what that was. Was it those two just selling out too hard to get sacks?

Hasaan made a couple of plays, including a PD, so I guess I'm glad he did a thing.

He did seem to have a good game by the eye test. I'd be curious to hear how he he graded out.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think this game will go down as a symbol of our season. Some good things but not enough to win many games. I just hope for continued improvement, but realize that we'll need another offseason (FA and Draft) to improve our OL on offense and front seven on defense. We're not good yet, but far from terrible. JMO.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
  • Our safeties are playing like doo doo. Swearinger hasn't made one signature play since he came back. Baker makes the occasional nice tackle, but gets his ass handed to him in coverage far too often. Vance should consider having him in the box more like we used to do w/ A-Dub
  • The interior of the line held its own today. Peters had better not miss any time. We are still dangerously thin at that position. Shout out to Darius Philon
  • Hasaan made a couple of plays, including a PD, so I guess I'm glad he did a thing.
  • Overall, I like the defense's hustle. They may not be the most talented, but it's obvious that they will play hard for Vance Joseph. The team quit on Wilks and Holcomb last season.
  • This was the game that started making me miss Patrick Peterson. As much as I admire Lamar's significant transition from year one to year two, he shouldn't have those kind of passing numbers. We need better coverage and the safeties need less responsibilities since they're struggling.
  • A team with Kliff and David Johnson should not have 21 yards total rushing. That's on Kliff for having an imbalanced offense. You have a QB who runs a 4.3 and one of the best RBs in the game. Use them.
  • Kyler and Kliff need to figure something out w/r/t the red zone offense, because it's pretty brutal. The only thing that benefits is Zane Gonzales's stats. Kyler cant throw a fade pass to save his life (reminded me of how Kevin Kolb used to throw his). I'm likely doing more read option plays and getting Kyler out on the edges.
  • Kyler is starting to throw off of his back foot more and I'm not sure why. This is going to get him in trouble if he can't drive his passes forward with his legs.
  • Feels like, barring injury, Andy Isabella is going to get the "knee deep" treatment. I said last week that he was WR7 and I was right. Him and Butler are likely redshirting this year. Shout out to KeeSean for balling out, but he shouldnt be the one leading this rookie corp.
Corey Peters is a beast inside, University of Kentucky product & from Louisville lol.

Reddick played well, layed a big hit on one of their TE's knocking him out of bounds.

Drives me insane not having KM under center at the 1 yd line to power the ball across.

Lamar wouldn't have had all that room to run if Chandler didn't rush too far, he was being held a lot also.

Panthers will pay for our miscues in the red zone, it will be figured out this week.

#11 is a stud & will play for 2 more yrs now that he sees his role in this offense.

I agree with everything you said. Great post bro!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swearinger continues to shoulder guys instead of tackling them and consistently has messed up/allowed more yards because of this

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swearinger has easily been the worst starter on defense. Arguably the whole team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corey Peters is a beast inside, University of Kentucky product & from Louisville lol.

Reddick played well, layed a big hit on one of their TE's knocking him out of bounds.

Drives me insane not having KM under center at the 1 yd line to power the ball across.

Lamar wouldn't have had all that room to run if Chandler didn't rush too far, he was being held a lot also.

Panthers will pay for our miscues in the red zone, it will be figured out this week.

#11 is a stud & will play for 2 more yrs now that he sees his role in this offense.

I agree with everything you said. Great post bro!

I do think Chandler took himself out of some plays. THe one blatant no called hold was a big run left by Lamar I think they scored on the drive. They were praising Lamar's read on the replay and completely ignored the LT was literally holding Chandler so much in the shoulder pad he actually exposed part of the pad.

I think it's a frustration thing where they start turning the corner because they want to hit the guy and when they do, they give up contain and he goes around them.

I was very impressed with Jackson I didn't see much of him in college but highlights and his throwing motion is unusual, but he was really good

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

He’s been throwing off his back foot since preseason. For a guy who’s also supposed to be a professional baseball player it makes zero sense.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I was very impressed with Jackson I didn't see much of him in college but highlights and his throwing motion is unusual, but he was really good
It’s why I was so incensed when Keim stupidly traded up for Rosen when LJ was going to be on the board at their spot. I like LJ a lot...

Reactions: HGC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s why I was so incensed when Keim stupidly traded up for Rosen when LJ was going to be on the board at their spot. I like LJ a lot...

Honestly based on the little I'd seen, if we'd have picked him I'd have probably been mad. But yesterday he looked terrific. He's not Aaron Rodgers back there but he is such a great runner you have to defend him differently so there's always going to be less defenders in the secondary due to threat of run. he made some throws yesterday that had you thinking he is legit.

I was expecting him to come down to earth not playing Miami again but we could not stop him

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He does it with or without pressure in his face. It's a very awkward motion, but that ball hangs up there like a punt.
I was calling this out all day yesterday. He got it where it needed to go, so I can only be so frustrated, but that ball floats in the air so long I keep expecting a DB to be under it each play.

Also shocked at the lack of rushing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When CJ takes that outside rush somebody has to fill the hole the void between his path and the tackle. Too many times we had three guys pushing up the middle.

The one thing you can’t do is allow a guy like Lamar get outside. I know it’s easier said than done. But that’s what defenses are doing to Kyler.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind that LJ has always been a running QB, while KM is just a QB that can run. I'll admit I like it when my QB can pick up yards with his legs. but have my fingers crossed that he doesn't get injured.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was calling this out all day yesterday. He got it where it needed to go, so I can only be so frustrated, but that ball floats in the air so long I keep expecting a DB to be under it each play.

Also shocked at the lack of rushing.
I watched the Chiefs game yesterday. Mahomes sort of does the same thing. It just works for him though.

So far working for Kyler...however, he better be Mahomes level good to keep attempting that.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I was impressed with Balt's pass pro in the second half yesterday

very solid guard to guard -- and that allowed the tackles to push guys outside and create big lanes for Jackson.

Compared to the Cards-- guard to guard it seemed one guy was applying up the gut pressure -- maybe not always getting there, but enough to where Murray couldn't step up

also on Murray:

1. you can see where he gets his feet set and steps into a throw the way the ball rockets out of his hand. Throws to Maxx Williams and Kirk over the middle / on time just got there in a hurry

2. I thought he had two TDs had he set his feet: long completion to Kirk, long completion to Fitz where both had to wait for the ball. A bit more air and they catch in stride and go to the endzone.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I was fishing- watching it now - nice DJ run called back in 4th - penalties, miscommunication- this can be cleaned up - by practicing the run - damn incompletions are good for 0 yards! Only things worse is loss or turnover and remains much higher risk of turnovers, sacks - same poo as whiz and BA but they came from a top running nfl teams. Even if you can win a game passing 85%, why would you want too?

Allergic to the run addicted to the pass, pass like your hair is on fire - is a defenses dream - I dream of the days we rushed 33% of the time over the last 10 years. Tackle the play caller, practice and get good at running the ball, increase your effectiveness at passing - even with the air red offense.