Cardinals at Ravens gameday thread 9-15-19

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Murray, IMO, is a stud, made some amazing throws under pressure today."

That is just one quote from this thread.

You read about how it is the line's fault.

It is the play calling's fault.

It is the ref's fault.

Ok, they all may share some of the blame, but it is also partly the blame of our rookie QB. The generational talent whose lack of starting experience, lack of size, and lack of overcoming adversity was all irrelevant when called into question pre and post draft. And yet here we are...our rookie QB looking inexperienced, looking small, and not being able to overcome adversity to get wins. Could it be that he is not the perfect prospect that was touted, and that so far, the only thing that has looked more than average has been his accuracy?

Where I get chaffed is when all of the folks who touted him as a transcendent QB talent in the draft now walk it back saying that "he is just a rookie" and that "it is only his second start".

Is he better than what we had? Yes. Do I expect him to get better? Yes. Does that make his level of play right now good? No. It is average at best.
Chopper...he missed some passes. He missed some open receivers. That’s on him.He is far from a polished and finished product.

But going into this season without knowing our record if we said he would avg. 325 yards passing have 2 td’s,1 pick and complete 63% of his passes I think we would be happy. Especially considering the deficiencies he is dealing with that we all acknowledged before the season started. I think many of us are thrilled with the foundation that appears to be in place at this point.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Do transcendent and generational talents get rookie learning curves?

yes. the NFL is really, really hard on QBs.

i dont know if he is "transcendent" -- whatever that means in football. Ive never used those words

i just want a top 10 QB who plays for the Cards for the next 10+ years.

early returns are positive. i dont know how anyone cant see that.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

It is the ref's fault.

Ok, they all may share some of the blame, but it is also partly the blame of our rookie QB. The generational talent whose lack of starting experience, lack of size, and lack of overcoming adversity was all irrelevant when called into question pre and post draft. And yet here we are...our rookie QB looking inexperienced, looking small, and not being able to overcome adversity to get wins. Could it be that he is not the perfect prospect that was touted, and that so far, the only thing that has looked more than average has been his accuracy?

Where I get chaffed is when all of the folks who touted him as a transcendent QB talent in the draft now walk it back saying that "he is just a rookie" and that "it is only his second start".

Is he better than what we had? Yes. Do I expect him to get better? Yes. Does that make his level of play right now good? No. It is average at best.

Chopper, K1 is the 2nd rookie QB in history to throw for 300+ in his first two games. I'm still saying he's transcendent.

But what I would also try to communicate to you is that Rome was not built in a day. Murray is working with a shaky oline, average TEs, and a rookie HC. He's going to need all of those parts of the equation to improve if he's going to reach his full potential.

Yes the offense, late in the game, in the shadow of it's own goal post, against a good defense, and with the opposing team's home crowd screaming their heads off, fell apart. It fell completely apart Chopper, and Murray failed to cash in on a chance to win the game. But that was a really, really tough spot, and it was clearly a failure of the offense as a whole, not just of Murray.

Patience man. I think we're in for a treat next week against CAR.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude has 700 yards in his first two games, 2 TDs, 1 int, and 2 2 point conversions. What the heck do you want?

Exactly. I was there today. Frustrated we lost? Absolutely. Impressed with Murray. You have to be blind not to be. If Murray played behind the Raven’s OL today, he would have thrown for well over 500 yards. Maybe 600.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Him to win games and finish drives. Too many stalls in the red zone. Kicking 23 yards FGs is unacceptable

Kliff Kingsbury needs to start running the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and goal. Very poor play calling in the red zone. Even if David Johnson has cashed it in, give the ball to Edmonds. RUN THE BALL!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dude has 700 yards in his first two games, 2 TDs, 1 int, and 2 2 point conversions. What the heck do you want?
This is where I get frustrated. There is no context to this how stat is used. He had 17 yards passing today when he was down by less than 7 points. He has been in situations where he has been down by one TD or more for a majority of this season, and has thrown for a lot of yards when defenses are playing to prevent big plays. To his credit, he has still made big plays in those situations, but he has been more meh than good when he is not down by 7 or more. His stats aren't garbage time, but they are not far from it. It is why we are winless vs being .500 or better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury needs to start running the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and goal. Very poor play calling in the red zone. Even if David Johnson has cashed it in, give the ball to Edmonds. RUN THE BALL!
If the front to run against was there, don't you think Murray would audible to a run? He does know this offense better than everyone other than Kingsbury.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Exactly. I was there today. Frustrated we lost? Absolutely. Impressed with Murray. You have to be blind not to be. If Murray played behind the Raven’s OL today, he would have thrown for well over 500 yards. Maybe 600.
I disagree. If Murray played behind the Ravens line he would have been sacked vs running for over 100 yards like Jackson did. Jackson burned us when we lost contain when pressuring...Murray didn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is the ref's fault.

if he was a second or third year player, he'd be average at best. but he's a rookie. there's context. I think for a rookie playing behind an awful O-line he's playing decent. But good lord, he HAS to learn how to throw a fade pass if that's what we're going to continually do inside the 10 yard line. He hasn't been CLOSE there and that's kept us from possibly being 2-0 at this point.

but seriously... the squeak, little bitch stuff reflects more back at you than it sticks with Murray at this point. You gotta get over the Murray-Positively Hyperbolic Crew because I think your reaction to THEM is coloring your reaction to the player. If they didn't exist and you were just taking Kyler on face value you'd be pretty excited about what the future could hold for that kid.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the front to run against was there, don't you think Murray would audible to a run? He does know this offense better than everyone other than Kingsbury.

he might be not given that choice yet.

again, it seems like you are letting the talk about him off-the-field totally effect what is going on on the field.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is where I get frustrated. There is no context to this how stat is used. He had 17 yards passing today when he was down by less than 7 points. He has been in situations where he has been down by one TD or more for a majority of this season, and has thrown for a lot of yards when defenses are playing to prevent big plays. To his credit, he has still made big plays in those situations, but he has been more meh than good when he is not down by 7 or more. His stats aren't garbage time, but they are not far from it. It is why we are winless vs being .500 or better.

You’re nitpicking. Considering we’ve played 2 very good defensive teams, K1 has been very, very good. I live about an hour from Baltimore, so I’ve seen quite a bit of Ravens football over the years. I would say that at least 10 Ravens fans approached my son Justin & I after the game to gush about K1. Most said that not many QB’s have walked into that stadium & did what Murray did today. I’ll give Jackson his due, but he had all day to throw the ball. Give Murray that kind of time & he’ll complete 70% of his passes & be close to 400 yards every week.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You’re nitpicking. Considering we’ve played 2 very good defensive teams, K1 has been very, very good. I live about an hour from Baltimore, so I’ve seen quite a bit of Ravens football over the years. I would say that at least 10 Ravens fans approached my son Justin & I after the game to gush about K1. Most said that not many QB’s have walked into that stadium & did what Murray did today. I’ll give Jackson his due, but he had all day to throw the ball. Give Murray that kind of time & he’ll complete 70% of his passes & be close to 400 yards every week.
This isn't the better passing version of Michael Vick this board promised me.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he might be not given that choice yet.

again, it seems like you are letting the talk about him off-the-field totally effect what is going on on the field.
Didn't Kingsbury said Kyler has free reign on audibles since he has such a good grasp of the offense? I thought that was said in the preseason? Honest question.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. If Murray played behind the Ravens line he would have been sacked vs running for over 100 yards like Jackson did. Jackson burned us when we lost contain when pressuring...Murray didn't.

You can disagree all you want. Murray chooses to throw the ball, whereas Jackson’s initial instincts are to run. When you’re at the game, you can see when receivers are creating separation. Behind the Ravens OL, Murray would have had the time to hit receivers that were breaking open.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Kingsbury said Kyler has free reign on audibles since he has such a good grasp of the offense? I thought that was said in the preseason? Honest question.

not sure. but even if so, again, dude's a rookie on the road in a big spot. if he's not comfortable making those kind of calls yet against defenses he's never seen, I'm not going to hammer him because he's not Peyton Manning during his heyday.

you gotta get a grip and put the hyperbole-crew's stuff out of your head. i really think it's effecting the way you're watching this kid because of how obnoxious some of those posters were this off-season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This isn't the better passing version of Michael Vick this board promised me.
Kyler doesn't understand or maybe he's timd that this is a north/south game. If he gets up field there were plays to be made.

He's going to have to trust his speed. Maybe that'll give him confidence that "he can run on this level"

Right now he just trusts his arm.

Should be noted that he's carrying about 15 more pounds than when he weighed at OU. I'm hoping that he hasn't lost much of his speed because of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some of you guys are just like my children who will never admit they are happy with an awesome toy they got because it wasn't the one they originally wanted.
Some of you guys are just like children who believe the McDonald Happy Meal toys are the best toys ever just because they are a new toy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
not sure. but even if so, again, dude's a rookie on the road in a big spot. if he's not comfortable making those kind of calls yet against defenses he's never seen, I'm not going to hammer him because he's not Peyton Manning during his heyday.

you gotta get a grip and put the hyperbole-crew's stuff out of your head. i really think it's effecting the way you're watching this kid because of how obnoxious some of those posters were this off-season.
What is funny is that wife, kids and friends would all state different. I think Murray is right where he should be except for his running. I think our line has been really good when considering the players it is comprised of and having Kyler as QB. I think our defense has overachieved. I think our coaching has been really good =, and I love the analytical approach adopted by our HC.

I just am not over the moon like a lot of people here. I don't think he has looked "special" so far in his career. Because of this, I am a darksider and a hater.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is funny is that wife, kids and friends would all state different. I think Murray is right where he should be except for his running. I think our line has been really good when considering the players it is comprised of and having Kyler as QB. I think our defense has overachieved. I think our coaching has been really good =, and I love the analytical approach adopted by our HC.

I just am not over the moon like a lot of people here. I don't think he has looked "special" so far in his career. Because of this, I am a darksider and a hater.

Agree with all the above except the reason you are labeled a hater is because of the name calling. I agree that I was expecting a better performance from Murray today but I'm still excited about what he will become for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave