The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former Suns coach Earl Watson earns degree from UCLA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is sort of like college more so today. Teams are recruiting against each other.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA is making an effort to prevent tampering.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

As part of potential new guidelines, NBA owners must personally certify that every contract complies with all rules, per sources. Teams would be required to report, within 24 hours, of a player/agent soliciting unauthorized benefits or contact regarding contract matters.

8:45 AM - 14 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was from an earlier tweet.

Further proposed rules as NBA works to crack down on tampering: increased enforcement of existing rule prohibiting player-to-player tampering; require team governor to certify no unauthorized benefits were offered/provided; investigatory audits of 5 teams annually, at random.

8:16 AM - 14 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any of the above proposed rules about tampering to be effective there will need to be the willingness to impose severe penalties. I'm waiting to see how seriously the NBA really views tampering.

IMO, it will take more than the loss of first round draft picks to turn heads on more serious violations like the ability to void contracts and perhaps loss of playoff eligibility.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any of the above proposed rules about tampering to be effective there will need to be the willingness to impose severe penalties. I'm waiting to see how seriously the NBA really views tampering.

IMO, it will take more than the loss of first round draft picks to turn heads on more serious violations like the ability to void contracts and perhaps loss of playoff eligibility.

I agree but I don't believe they'd ever go with the loss of playoff eligibility as it's too unfair to too many people that had nothing to do with the infraction. The NCAA gets away with it to a degree but I'm confident that will eventually disappear even at that level.

I think much of it gets solved by the voiding of contracts and heavy fines that escalate steeply upon repeat infractions. Also, suspensions for all involved (including players, agents and even owners if they are complicit in any way).

But a major part of what they are trying to put an end to is player-to-player and I just don't know how they pull that off. Without really knowing what I'm talking about, it seems like lawsuit after lawsuit if they try to enforce. Perhaps it's something that they can negotiate with the Players Association but I can't imagine what the League would have to give up in order to make that happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but I don't believe they'd ever go with the loss of playoff eligibility as it's too unfair to too many people that had nothing to do with the infraction. The NCAA gets away with it to a degree but I'm confident that will eventually disappear even at that level.

I was really trying to get tough there but I agree this is an unlikely consequence.

I think much of it gets solved by the voiding of contracts and heavy fines that escalate steeply upon repeat infractions. Also, suspensions for all involved (including players, agents and even owners if they are complicit in any way).

These are other nice consequences in addition to voiding contracts. The Commissioner is going to have to have a willingness to enforce these penalties. I'd be happy if he were more willing to void contracts that wreak of tampering or are not in the best interest of the league.

But a major part of what they are trying to put an end to is player-to-player and I just don't know how they pull that off. Without really knowing what I'm talking about, it seems like lawsuit after lawsuit if they try to enforce. Perhaps it's something that they can negotiate with the Players Association but I can't imagine what the League would have to give up in order to make that happen.

This is tough one. As you mention the players association will need to become involved in some of these consequences if it is really going to have teeth. I doubt if player-to-player tampering will ever be solved but the other penalties discussed will make it tougher for these deals to happen. Also the owners will need to step up as well. Too often the desire to make money overrules making waves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some more about the memo sent to owners in an effort to curb tampering.

The memo proposes increased fines for teams and players caught tampering. The new rules would fine teams $10 million for tampering with a player, an increase from the current $5 million fine.

Teams can also be fined up to $6 million for unauthorized agreements, with players receiving a $250,000 fine.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-League-Wide-Memo-In-Effort-To-Curb-Tampering

I hope the memo or communication to owners includes some additional language about voiding contracts related to tampering, suspensions and loss of first round draft picks as well.

IMO, the penalties need to be multifaceted.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Void contracts that are the result of tampering.
Fine players involved in tampering.
Provide restitution for damaged teams with draft picks from offending teams.
Fine agents and if they continue, decertify them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The impact of this may take awhile to fully absorb.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Void contracts that are the result of tampering.
Fine players involved in tampering.
Provide restitution for damaged teams with draft picks from offending teams.
Fine agents and if they continue, decertify them.
I agree with all of that. So there’s no way that stuff happens.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the past the league has voided contracts and taken picks for contract shenanigans. Joe Smith had an under the table deal with the Wolves and the league voided his contracts, took away Minnesota's bird rights and 4 years of 1st round picks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was from an earlier tweet.

Further proposed rules as NBA works to crack down on tampering: increased enforcement of existing rule prohibiting player-to-player tampering; require team governor to certify no unauthorized benefits were offered/provided; investigatory audits of 5 teams annually, at random.

8:16 AM - 14 Sep 2019

This is what will undo the Suns. They'll be one of the 5 teams selected at random and it'll come out that Booker tried recruiting someone. That player's contract will be voided, Booker will be suspended, and any progress we made this coming season will be undone. It's just like how the new lottery odds screwed us right away, we'll get screwed by this despite being one of the only teams that didn't seem to have any deals done before July 1st this past offseason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what will undo the Suns. They'll be one of the 5 teams selected at random and it'll come out that Booker tried recruiting someone. That player's contract will be voided, Booker will be suspended, and any progress we made this coming season will be undone. It's just like how the new lottery odds screwed us right away, we'll get screwed by this despite being one of the only teams that didn't seem to have any deals done before July 1st this past offseason.

Let's hope the Suns penchant for following the rules saves them.

I think it will be very difficult to prove player-to-player tampering unless there is something way over the top.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the past the league has voided contracts and taken picks for contract shenanigans. Joe Smith had an under the table deal with the Wolves and the league voided his contracts, took away Minnesota's bird rights and 4 years of 1st round picks.
The problem with Joe Smith and the TWolves was that they put the illegal agreement IN WRITING. It was on a cocktail napkin or something I think.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not concerned. They can't put teeth into the rules/consequences and then apply them retroactively.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with Joe Smith and the TWolves was that they put the illegal agreement IN WRITING. It was on a cocktail napkin or something I think.

Correct. But I've often wondered how the League Office got wind of it in the first place? I could see them getting suspicious if it involved a superstar but he was a solid though pretty routine addition. Joe Smith was a highly coveted player coming out of college but was nothing special as a pro especially given he was drafted first out of Maryland.