Would you trade a 2nd for Minkah then trade PP21 for a 2nd another pick?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not in the game of trading away proven star players on a team that has so few. Everyone seems obsessed with draft picks, but why? Excluding this year, the past 17 draft picks have yielded 3 starters. Plus we just drafted Murphy to play the slot, making Fitzpatrick just another player to come in and steal reps from young draftees.

This is getting way too cute when the team just needs to draft right and develop their own freaking players.

I agree with you on this point. You only trade a PP21 if you get a younger stud CB back somehow, whether it be in a separate trade with one of the picks you acquire for him.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minkah was also just drafted last year. He’s still essentially a “young draftee”. He’s not like a washed bum like Crabtree stealing snaps.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Minkah was also just drafted last year. He’s still essentially a “young draftee”. He’s not like a washed bum like Crabtree stealing snaps.
Sure, but he's also not a Pro Bowler, and he's a safety, where we have a logjam at the position.

It's almost like the WR position right now - we have a ton of guys capable of playing the slot, but need some guys to man the outsides desperately.

I mean, not to mention that we're likely giving a mid-30s pick in this scenario, as already noted, and whatever 2nd round pick we get back for Peterson in your scenario is unlikely to be anywhere near as good, since he'll want to go to a contender. Probably right around where Isabella got drafted, which is working out great so far.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but he's also not a Pro Bowler, and he's a safety, where we have a logjam at the position.

It's almost like the WR position right now - we have a ton of guys capable of playing the slot, but need some guys to man the outsides desperately.

I mean, not to mention that we're likely giving a mid-30s pick in this scenario, as already noted, and whatever 2nd round pick we get back for Peterson in your scenario is unlikely to be anywhere near as good, since he'll want to go to a contender. Probably right around where Isabella got drafted, which is working out great so far.
Minkah is more of a slot CB than S. He can play S well, but he thrives at CB.

Because I’m probably the only one in the circle that thinks Peterson is not resigning with us. It’s better to get a 2nd(probably even a 1st if a team like KC is that hungry) then to just get a 3rd/4th round comp pick.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could easily be elite to top tier the next 5 seasons, yeah, why not?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Because CBs tend to fall the hell off once they get into their early-to-mid 30s. Revis is the greatest CB of this generation & he wasn’t even 32 before he fell off completely.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because CBs tend to fall the hell off once they get into their early-to-mid 30s. Revis is the greatest CB of this generation & he wasn’t even 32 before he fell off completely.
Even if he slowed down, he could be a top tier fs

Champ Bailey made it to like 35

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if he slowed down, he could be a top tier fs

That’s not always the case & I’d rather play the natural, younger & probably better FS anyway.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I'm not in the game of trading away proven star players on a team that has so few. Everyone seems obsessed with draft picks, but why? Excluding this year, the past 17 draft picks have yielded 3 starters. Plus we just drafted Murphy to play the slot, making Fitzpatrick just another player to come in and steal reps from young draftees.

This is getting way too cute when the team just needs to draft right and develop their own freaking players.

Well the most successful team in the NFL is in the business of trading proven stats for picks and to bring in the youth. The pats traded away Seymour, Mankins, Branch, chandler Jones, Jaime Collins, etc. This team needs to look at the future and not short term. PP may not be elite when this team will have a chance to make a run but he will handicap the team with top CB money.

Also can everyone do some research, fitzpatrick can play outside corner and slot. Him and Murphy could easily handle the two outside spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That’s not always the case & I’d rather play the natural, younger & probably better FS anyway.

Peterson would be a hell of a FS.

Allow him to sit back and drive to the ball more? Sign me up for that....though he isnt particularly good against the run.

If you remember, there were questions when he came into the NFL on whether or not he would be a good CB or if he belonged at S.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well the most successful team in the NFL is in the business of trading proven stats for picks and to bring in the youth. The pats traded away Seymour, Mankins, Branch, chandler Jones, Jaime Collins, etc. This team needs to look at the future and not short term. PP may not be elite when this team will have a chance to make a run but he will handicap the team with top CB money.

Also can everyone do some research, fitzpatrick can play outside corner and slot. Him and Murphy could easily handle the two outside spots.

Yeah idk maybe Having the greatest QB and Coach in the history of the NFL has a little something to do with the Pats success. Why do people act like that’s not a thing!

Why do people keep trying to bring up the Pats. Yeah give me Tom Brady who keeps taking team friendly contracts and I can do a lot of things.

Smh

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson would be a hell of a FS.

Allow him to sit back and drive to the ball more? Sign me up for that....though he isnt particularly good against the run.

If you remember, there were questions when he came into the NFL on whether or not he would be a good CB or if he belonged at S.

Lol no. He was thought of as the CB to come into the league since Prime time

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No. He is a versatile DB who can play safety and corner and would prefer corner. He is better than anything we could hope Keim chooses with our second round pick this coming year. Trade the second rounder and bring the proven young player in. Make it work. Peterson is suspended. Minkah could be worth it for four games and then you never know who would be injured after that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are ignoring the other half of the equation - what a team does with its remaining players after the sell-off is completed. After the Pats jettisoned C Jones, Seymour, Mankins, Collins etc., Belichick found adequate relacements he could develop. Do the Cardinals have that same knack?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Doesn't Fitpatrick still have two years left with an option yr? Why would they trade him? They're not gonna start from scratch.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Lol no. He was thought of as the CB to come into the league since Prime time

Yup, people were thinking he was a shutdown corner coming into the league... now Antrel Rolle was a high ranked guy who was a CB in college but projected as a safety as a pro

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Peterson is arguably the best CB in the game

You DONT trade him

Guys like him come along twice in a lifetime.

You’ll tell your kids you saw him play

Shoot the cards traded DRC to the Eagles for Kolb and DRC was all pro for years and is still a dang good CB.
Had they never traded DRC they would have had the best CB duo in the league

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Doesn't Fitpatrick still have two years left with an option yr? Why would they trade him? They're not gonna start from scratch.

The dolphins are allowing him to find a team. He’s requested a trade bc they have played him at every position on the defense and he wants a more concrete idea of if they want him as a LB a CB or a S.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You are ignoring the other half of the equation - what a team does with its remaining players after the sell-off is completed. After the Pats jettisoned C Jones, Seymour, Mankins, Collins etc., Belichick found adequate relacements he could develop. Do the Cardinals have that same knack?

The replacement is Fitzpatrick

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pats also trade picks for the right commodity. Remember they traded a 1st rounder for Brandon Cooks and then recouped their pick and I think s little more for him the next year.

That being said if this was an o-lineman or a stud linebacker then it might be something to consider . But I have to think with the current defensive backfield along with Peterson, Alford and two promising safeties I don’t see us considering investing anymore in this area.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The Pats also trade picks for the right commodity. Remember they traded a 1st rounder for Brandon Cooks and then recouped their pick and I think s little more for him the next year.

That being said if this was an o-lineman or a stud linebacker then it might be something to consider . But I have to think with the current defensive backfield along with Peterson, Alford and two promising safeties I don’t see us considering investing anymore in this area.

Peterson and Alford are on borrowed time. Alford should be no better than a slot back currently nevermind a year from now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Use the Franchise Tag on a, what, 32 year old CB? I don't think that would an appropriate use of cap space Chopper.

Also, at that age, he won't get offered a really big money contact like he would have when he was 26, although some stupid team will probably offer more than he's worth at that point.

Look, if things are going really well for the Cardinals in 2021, we can probably get him to sign him to a reasonable contract, towards the end of which, he could maybe move to safety like Rolle did.

If we split with him after this deal runs out, well that's too bad, but you can't overpay for aging veterans, and this situation underscores the importance of drafting well.
We are in rookie QB contract cap world...you overpay for one year for top players. Peterson is really good, and can transition to FS. That is a realistic 5 year narrative for him. Don't Calias Campbell the situation.