FIBA World Cup 2019

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion, why not recruit college players to the team since pros are declining? I understand there is an under 18 US team, but the national team would take priority and those incoming college freshman not picked by national team would then be available for Under 18 team selection.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The problem is NBA players don't really care that much about the FIBA World Cup. There is a lot more interest in playing in the Olympics, but not many players are interested in giving up so much of their offseason to play in the World Cup.

And a team of college players would probably be fortunate to win half their games.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
It's not the case for all NBA players though, only USA NBA players. Playing for your national team is a matter of patriotism and national pride, and for many players it is the highest honor and they love playing in these games. Not many players outside of the US team decided to turn down playing in the World Cup, except for Ben Simmons for Australia and Steven Adams for New Zealand.

But even with no superstars playing, the US team was the best overall on paper, with a full NBA roster, and many of those players are starters on playoff teams. They just didn't click together as a team well enough, and a best possible 7th place finish is definitely an upset.

Anyway, it's nice to see that Suns players (Rubio and Baynes) are doing really well this tournament.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's not the case for all NBA players though, only USA NBA players. Playing for your national team is a matter of patriotism and national pride, and for many players it is the highest honor and they love playing in these games. Not many players outside of the US team decided to turn down playing in the World Cup, except for Ben Simmons for Australia and Steven Adams for New Zealand.

But even with no superstars playing, the US team was the best overall on paper, with a full NBA roster, and many of those players are starters on playoff teams. They just didn't click together as a team well enough, and a best possible 7th place finish is definitely an upset.

Anyway, it's nice to see that Suns players (Rubio and Baynes) are doing really well this tournament.
I suspect more will sign up when it is for the Olympics, but they just don't see the world cup as a big deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect more will sign up when it is for the Olympics, but they just don't see the world cup as a big deal.

This will hopefully be the case. Having the World Cup and Olympics basketball in back-to-back years seems to be a bit much.

This could take a physical a toll on current Suns players like Rubio and Baynes who may play in both events.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA loses to Serbia 94-89 to play for 7th place in World Cup competition.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Team USA plays for 7th place Saturday in Beijing after losing to Serbia today, which followed a loss to France. Ya if the best players aren't going to play then I have no problem with Devin Booker taking a pass - at least he doesn't have this embarrassment on his resume

9:32 AM - 12 Sep 2019

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA fail behind 25 points before rallying to make it close against Serbia.

DONGGUAN, China -- Sometimes the worst insult can be apathy.

Wednesday night, when France beat Team USA, some French players had tears in their eyes and star Rudy Gobert said he'd fulfilled a lifelong dream. Thursday night, when Serbia jumped out to a 25-point lead in the first quarter and went on to beat the Americans for the first time, 94-89, avenging a 30-point loss in the Olympic gold-medal game in 2016, there was ... nothing.

No emotion. The Serbian players just walked off the floor.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27598499/team-usa-hits-historic-low-fiba-world-cup

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress

Back to back losses to France/Serbia means USA Basketball has logged it's worst result ever in FIBA World Cup /World Championship history (no better than 7th). Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call for how much the world has caught up (no one wants to hear your roster excuses)

6:15 AM - 12 Sep 2019

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Back to back losses to France/Serbia means USA Basketball has logged it's worst result ever in FIBA World Cup /World Championship history (no better than 7th). Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call for how much the world has caught up (no one wants to hear your roster excuses)

But the roster excuse is a good and valid one. The world has caught up a little bit, but come on, if all the players who originally were supposed to be on the team were actually on the team, is there any doubt they would wipe the court with each and every one of these other FIBA teams? Come on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the roster excuse is a good and valid one. The world has caught up a little bit, but come on, if all the players who originally were supposed to be on the team were actually on the team, is there any doubt they would wipe the court with each and every one of these other FIBA teams? Come on.

It''s a bit of a "Should Have, Could Have, Would Have."

These are the players that the U.S. sent so no excuses.

I hope we have not forgotten the 1988 Summer Olympics.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see where the 1988 Olympic Team would be an apt comparison - they had David Robinson (who had sat for a year while in the Navy), and a bunch of college players (Majerle, Manning and Richmond being the best of them). The only Olympic flop since using professionals was 2004 with Marbury and Iverson leading a lackluster team that went 5-3.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It''s a bit of a "Should Have, Could Have, Would Have."

These are the players that the U.S. sent so no excuses.

I hope we have not forgotten the 1988 Summer Olympics.

I don't know that I fully agree with you but I figured you deserved a "like" if for no other reason than you didn't say "should of, could of, would of".

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

USA team is compromised of all NBA players...rest of the teams, an NBA player here and there plus filler.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see where the 1988 Olympic Team would be an apt comparison - they had David Robinson (who had sat for a year while in the Navy), and a bunch of college players (Majerle, Manning and Richmond being the best of them). The only Olympic flop since using professionals was 2004 with Marbury and Iverson leading a lackluster team that went 5-3.

Maybe 1992 should be used as the high water mark.

After the 1988 Olympics FIBA felt it was unfair that the United States could not send active NBA players because other foreign teams were in essence using professional players.

In 1992 the United States did just that sending their best, the "Dream Team" to the Olympics.

I'm just not seeing the same dedication to sending our best basketball players anymore whether it be the World Cup or the Olympics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA team is compromised of all NBA players...rest of the teams, an NBA player here and there plus filler.

I guess it all comes down too if the United States wants to dominate basketball anymore on the world stage such as the World Cup or the Olympics by sending their best.

If not, we are going to have to accept losing now and then as many foreign teams have NBA players as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some interesting comments made by Jerry Colangelo looking towards the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

"I can only say, you can't help but notice and remember who you thought you were going to war with and who didn't show up," Colangelo said. "I'm a firm believer that you deal with the cards you're dealt. All we could have done, and we did it, is get the commitments from a lot of players. So with that kind of a hand, you feel reasonably confident that you're going to be able to put a very good representative team on the court.

"No one would have anticipated the pullouts that we had."

"Going forward for USA Basketball, we're going to need the cooperation of teams, agents, and then there has to be communication with players one-on-one to solidify those commitments," Colangelo said. "I am going to be anxious to see how many players reach out early to indicate that they wish and want and desire to play.

"But I'll make this statement: It's as much about maybe who we don't want as much as who we want."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27600706/colangelo-forget-us-world-cup-pullouts

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the scheduling of the World Cup and the Olympics was awfully close together.

Reading from the same ESPN article linked above, this is the first time the World Cup and Olympics has occurred in consecutive offseasons since 1967 and 1968.

No wonder a lot of top NBA players didn't want to do both.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Team USA loses to Serbia 94-89 to play for 7th place in World Cup competition.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

Team USA plays for 7th place Saturday in Beijing after losing to Serbia today, which followed a loss to France. Ya if the best players aren't going to play then I have no problem with Devin Booker taking a pass - at least he doesn't have this embarrassment on his resume

9:32 AM - 12 Sep 2019
I am glad he didn't participate for health reasons.

Saving himself for a full NBA Phoenix Suns season.

And post-season. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stars or not, the US has a massive talent disparity over the rest of the world. Team USA could probably make a full 10 teams that would outclass what anyone else in the world can put together.

IMO, the advantage the other nations have is consistency. Because they have less top tier talent they end up with the same rosters year after year after year, while team USA has a vastly different group in every tournament. These guys basically get a handful of practices together and then go up against guys that have been playing together for the better part of a decade.

If the stars don't want to commit to playing (and I don't blame them for it at all) then we'd likely fare better if Team USA started targeting a group of 20 or so good players who are not stars and requested an 8 year commitment if they want to join the team. It would allow, not just for consistency, but also team to target guys who fit together better than a bunch of dudes who are all used to getting a boat load of shots and constantly handling the ball.

Having guys who are used to international rules and refs would be a big help too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's obvious other players in other countries feel more patriotic regarding their national teams. You see it in soccer. They play year around with all the different tournaments their club teams get involved with, and they really are pushing the boundaries on needing rest. However, they show up for their national teams tournaments. I remember guys on Man U missing games to play in their teams tournaments. Our players don't place the same priority to represent their country, as other countries do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave