I am vegan; Ask me anything

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You heard the man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Even with Steers and Bisons as food. If we went back to range grass feed animals, they actually have POSITIVE amino acids and are healthy meat. It's the grain fed animals that are unhealthy. Transporting the grain to the animals, and of course transporting the meat, and animals to be butchered leads to the environmental impacts. So the local food movement greatly reduces that impact.

We are just around the corner of electric semi trucks, and trains. The biggest impact to the environment will be a shift to a green economy, energy, etc. When we shift to an all electric world, that creates that energy without fossil fuels, we will take the next step as a world. Also meat grown in trays is a possibility. Of course the Beyond "meats" and such, also. The environmental reason for vegetarianism, or veganism is not the sole reason, imho that you should be eating more vegetables. Health should be your number one reason to eat more vegetables. We are just now on the cusp of scientific findings in nutrition that really confirms how nutrients work in our bodies. There is an effort to create a gut biome map, just like the dna mapping done earlier.

In a couple decades I believe the world as a whole will be an entirely different society.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Y'all crazy.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy is as crazy does...

If Popeyes Louisiana Chicken didn't have a big enough beef on its hands with its recent social media-fueled rivalry with Chick-fil-A, now the fast-food chain is being sued for selling out of its buzzed-about chicken sandwich.

A Tennessee man filed a lawsuit against Popeyes this week alleging it engaged in "false advertising" and “deceptive business practices by entity to public.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...peyes-running-out-chicken-sandwiches-n1048321

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Oh, wow. They actually made it part of their visible menu. I thought it just meant adding items. Very cool.

Taco Bell has actually been very good in recent years in serving their vegan customers. There’s a whole page on their site that makes it easy to identify vegan options and their app is excellent (except when they upgrade it and it crashes constantly, which happens every single upgrade).

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That poor doggo. [emoji38]

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
An impossible Whopper is like 7 bucks! Can someone tell me why vegans are always trying to eat "meat" substitute instead of just something healthy? I'm not sure where the health benefit of going vegan is when you eat fast food to get your fix...

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An impossible Whopper is like 7 bucks! Can someone tell me why vegans are always trying to eat "meat" substitute instead of just something healthy? I'm not sure where the health benefit of going vegan is when you eat fast food to get your fix...

Some vegans like me have spent most of their lives eating meat before they gave it up. So you still have some cravings to deal with and the faux meat is really helpful, because it allows you to still eat burgers, wings, etc., some of which taste better than the meat ones.

I am with you on the price, that is crazy! I can make my own vegan burgers at home for way less than that.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Some vegans like me have spent most of their lives eating meat before they gave it up. So you still have some cravings to deal with and the faux meat is really helpful, because it allows you to still eat burgers, wings, etc., some of which taste better than the meat ones.

I am with you on the price, that is crazy! I can make my own vegan burgers at home for way less than that.

Makes sense, but why are so many vegans addicted to junk food/fast food? I thought the point of going vegan is to get healthy, not become lazy with food choices for the sake of saving animals.

My brother is Vegan and I'm shocked at how much sugar he eats combined with fast food. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I can make a veggie burger at home that I can guarantee is 10x better than what they are promoting at fast food places.

The whole vegan lifestyle seems counterintuitive for many especially when you run to a fast food place just because they have a plant burger? What happened to caring about quality? I wouldn't be caught dead eating McDonald's or Burger King, but somehow people have convinced themselves just because it's not meat then it's acceptable, I'm confused...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, but why are so many vegans addicted to junk food/fast food? I thought the point of going vegan is to get healthy, not become lazy with food choices for the sake of saving animals.

My brother is Vegan and I'm shocked at how much sugar he eats combined with fast food. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but I can make a veggie burger at home that I can guarantee is 10x better than what they are promoting at fast food places.

The whole vegan lifestyle seems counterintuitive for many especially when you run to a fast food place just because they have a plant burger? What happened to caring about quality? I wouldn't be caught dead eating McDonald's or Burger King, but somehow people have convinced themselves just because it's not meat then it's acceptable, I'm confused...

A couple reasons:

Travelling/Lunch Break - don't have time to prep lunch, no way to prep on a long trip, etc
Many are Vegan/Veg for reasons other than their personal health - ie the health of the planet.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

The point of being vegan varies. For me, it is to save animals. The health benefits are secondary.

What’s exciting about the new products is that they taste just like meat, so if more people buy them, fewer animals will be killed. These companies intentionally target meat-eaters, so people who are already going to fast food places can substitute.

You are right that eating any kind of fast food more than on occasion is unhealthy. A whole food, plant based diet is the best.

Now, tell us more about making homemade veggie burgers and your recipe. Yum!

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
A couple reasons:

Travelling/Lunch Break - don't have time to prep lunch, no way to prep on a long trip, etc
Many are Vegan/Veg for reasons other than their personal health - ie the health of the planet.

So you are saying most vegans engage in self loathing behavior just for the sake of the planet?

Are you also saying that most vegans are lazy, don't know how to prepare food and just want something put down in front of them with minimal effort as long as it's good for the planet, nutrition not mattering?

I guess everyone has different motivations for doing what they do, but many Vegans, especially young ones, appear very unhealthy, either under or overweight.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying most vegans engage in self loathing behavior just for the sake of the planet?

Are you also saying that most vegans are lazy, don't know how to prepare food and just want something put down in front of them with minimal effort as long as it's good for the planet, nutrition not mattering?

I guess everyone has different motivations for doing what they do, but many Vegans, especially young ones, appear very unhealthy, either under or overweight.

Not saying either.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
The point of being vegan varies. For me, it is to save animals. The health benefits are secondary.

What’s exciting about the new products is that they taste just like meat, so if more people buy them, fewer animals will be killed. These companies intentionally target meat-eaters, so people who are already going to fast food places can substitute.

You are right that eating any kind of fast food more than on occasion is unhealthy. A whole food, plant based diet is the best.

Now, tell us more about making homemade veggie burgers and your recipe. Yum!

Chickpeas or black beans, red onion, mushroom, carrot, cilantro, lemon juice, food processor. They are gorgeous. Cost about 2.00 to make all those...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chickpeas or black beans, red onion, mushroom, carrot, cilantro, lemon juice, food processor. They are gorgeous. Cost about 2.00 to make all those...

Those look delicious!

Are you a chef?

Also, welcome to the thread. :)

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Not a professional chef, just learn everything online mostly. After my brother became vegan, I did a lot of research on vegan food, that's why I'm so shocked there are so many vegans that eat processed food still...

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not a professional chef, just learn everything online mostly. After my brother became vegan, I did a lot of research on vegan food, that's why I'm so shocked there are so many vegans that eat processed food still...

That’s a good point. There really is a ton of information and recipes online. I love minimalistbaker.com, for example, but I always find good recipes just by searching for something like “vegan stuffed peppers.”

It’s fun and you save a lot of money, like you mentioned earlier.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wow, those look amazing. Great job!

Reminds me of my chickpea aka garbanzo bean burgers we make at our house. I add bread crumbs and olive oil to hold it all together, but yours looks great without it.

On your other posts above, I guess you can find vegans and meateaters alike who eat healthy and unhealthy. Most Americans have easy access to unhealthy food, 24/7. Vegans aren't some sort of high priests of healthy eating. Most are just trying to avoid eating animals and animal products. That automatically cuts out some unhealthy choices, ie. artery clogging red meat, mercury laden fish, hormone and chemical filled dairy products, etc., but no doubt there are plenty of other unhealthy temptations out there, and vegans are not immune to them. We struggle with eating too much pasta at our house, especially since I fell in love with pesto and we started growing our own basil. :D