Batted Balls: Height or mechanics??

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So if Kyler was 6’1” none of his passes would have been batted down? Even the greatest and tallest qb’s have balls batted down.

Will it be a problem? Sure, at some time. Is it enough to negate his ability? I’d say no.

Nice straw man, but Murray had three batted balls in his first game. I can't find batted balls stats, but how many did, say, Matthew Stafford have? Zero?

Maybe Murray has zero passes batted down the rest of the season. But that doesn't change the fact that the Murray Hype Beasts here said that he had zero batted passes in college and so his height wasn't a problem and then in his first 60 dropbacks he has 3 knocked down behind the line.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice straw man, but Murray had three batted balls in his first game. I can't find batted balls stats, but how many did, say, Matthew Stafford have? Zero?

Maybe Murray has zero passes batted down the rest of the season. But that doesn't change the fact that the Murray Hype Beasts here said that he had zero batted passes in college and so his height wasn't a problem and then in his first 60 dropbacks he has 3 knocked down behind the line.
I do understand the concern. I really do. However I think it’s something that he will work on with a little pocket movement.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
One thing that I noticed about Murry is that he pats the ball before he passes, especially in high-leverage situations. This is a problem that I'm surprised hasn't been coached out of him by his dad. Not sure it's a habit that can be broken at this point.

It basically takes some of the air out of Murray's quick release and lets opponents know to get their hands up. Weird habit.
Unless he also pats the ball occasionally when he isn't throwing to keep them guessing. Otherwise yeah if he is only doing right before the pass than it is an issue.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
It’s certainly cause for concern. They can fix it.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

But can it be fixed?? I think Cousins had like 3 batted balls yesterday. And he's 6'3.

Reaction score
The Detroit line had definitely been coached to do that and we will see it every game now. A couple of those batted balls, the guy really wasn't even rushing, just watching Murray and hoping to get his hands into the passing lane.
Post game press conference mentioned the the Lions DL was filling lane and not full out rushing the QB, due to Murray's mobility. I'll settle for the batted passes over our QB getting sacked all day; any day!

But yeah sure, it is something that Murray/Kingsbury need to work on.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's hard to say it's not height. I don't think it's something he can just blindly overcome. The rest of his career, it will probably be an issue, and one of the major things defenses preach against him.

That said, I don't think it can't be considered in scheme. KK finally has his own tape on his own guy in real game-speed situations. Just like Jake Plummer, some designed bootlegs or other types of movement might be a possible way to allay some of those issues. As he slows down later on, it might be a problem, but I'll worry about that when he gets old enough for it to show.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
It was part of the lions gameplan. We can adjust and plan for it. It causes the d line to be less aggressive and we can exploit that. As other stated, pulp fake will help and delayed runs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it can be both

height means no margin for error

he has to learn ..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Post game press conference mentioned the the Lions DL was filling lane and not full out rushing the QB, due to Murray's mobility. I'll settle for the batted passes over our QB getting sacked all day; any day!

He was sacked five times.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You have to make a guy pay. In the Chargers game, last year's defensive rookie of the year jumped up to bat down a Philip Rivers pass. The OL planted him in the ground and knocked the wind out of him. The guy had to leave for a play. He did not bat down another pass all game, that I noticed.
I would like this.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sam Darnold had three batted balls today. Its not height. It's mechanics.

No, because Darnold has mechanic problems to begin with, so that makes sense for him... it's freaking height at the moment for Murray, and his inaccuracy early is due to his foot work and probably even more so being a little too high strung for game one

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Well he was sacked 5 times, too...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The only thing I found was an article on Kirk Cousins from last season, they said he was on pace for 32 batted balls and the NFL record was 23 in 2006 but they didn't say who that QB was...the article, interestingly enough, was about the Cardinals batting down 5 of his passes when we played them last year.
So the NFL record is 23 for batted down balls and Kyler has 4 in one game? Yeah, that is an issue.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Ahhh watching the Broncos,Raiders right now and Flacco’s had 2 batted balls so far in the 1st half and he’s what 6’6”

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What’s the remedy for batted balls?
How is coached out? Is it launch angle, throwing motion or footwork? Maybe the dline was able to time Kyler’s throwing motion.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What’s the remedy for batted balls?
How is coached out? Is it launch angle, throwing motion or footwork? Maybe the dline was able to time Kyler’s throwing motion.
He has to learn how throw between the seems in the NFL like Brees does. He perfected it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's hard to say it's not height. I don't think it's something he can just blindly overcome. The rest of his career, it will probably be an issue, and one of the major things defenses preach against him.

That said, I don't think it can't be considered in scheme. KK finally has his own tape on his own guy in real game-speed situations. Just like Jake Plummer, some designed bootlegs or other types of movement might be a possible way to allay some of those issues. As he slows down later on, it might be a problem, but I'll worry about that when he gets old enough for it to show.
I'll say it, it's not height (at least not completely). Shorter QBs certainly have to be a little more aware of throwing lanes than taller QBs, but ultimately they all have to worry about that. Brees is the prime example of this to me as he is only about 2" taller than Murray and almost exclusively throws from the pocket. The reason he can play that way at his height is because he is very good at finding throwing lanes so that defensive lineman can't rely on batting down a bunch of his passes.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If you ever watch brees he plays on his tippy toes maybe Murray can learn the same. Also I’m more concerned with him continuously throwing flat footed and no step through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you ever watch brees he plays on his tippy toes maybe Murray can learn the same. Also I’m more concerned with him continuously throwing flat footed and no step through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting kyler seemed to throw flat footed more so than I had seen previously. First game nerves or coaching?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose