Did we really just play for the tie??????

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bird in Hand.

Better you have good players you know are good..and they're yours...than it is to maybe land some unknown dude in the future that you hope will be good.

Time is worth something - and is the one intangible factor that's tough to assign a value to.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think that setting a tone is important as well.

A jet sweep on the 1 yard line when DJ is averaging 6 yards per carry and we have our heavy personnel on the field.

Passing on 3rd and 7 for the first down and not for plus yardage with the intent of going for it on 4th down.

These are conservative messages that the entire team can feel. And it was much more conservative than I expected from a team that has an extensive analytics staff (now) as well as a marauding offensive style Head Coach.

I was definitely surprised by it.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
A tie is officially counted as a half-win, half-loss. So we have a W-L-T percentage of 0.500. Going 8-7-1 is like 8.5-7.5. If we tie again, 0-0-2 is the same as 1-1.

The only practical difference of 0-0-2 and 1-1 (or 8-6-2 and 9-7 for instance) is if a tie-breaker comes down to strength-of-victory where they would only count the W-L-T percentage of the actual victories.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All good points however I remain steadfast in saying that it is a game and as such should be played to win, never to avoid losing which is exactly what playing for a tie is the ultimate expression of, and also if you want anything worthwhile in life you will never get anywhere if you are more afraid of losing than you are of not winning.

Just my opinion.

There is no substitute for playing smart in any walk in life.

Warren Buffett didn't become Warren Buffett by throwing the dice.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
None of you will care since the source is so hated around here but Bill Simmons called it pathetic on his podcast.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
No way they beat us like that, Miami is beyond horrible. Lamar Jackson isn't a good passer, I don't care that he had 5 TD's today, I watched him for 3 yrs here in Louisville, he can't change his inaccuracy problem, you either have it or you don't. Put some pressure on him & he wilts. We'll see what happens Sunday.

Nonsense.So far Jackson has wilted to a 7-2 record as a starter.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
None of you will care since the source is so hated around here but Bill Simmons called it pathetic on his podcast.

Yea... Simmons trashes DBook as well. [emoji109]
Overcoming an 18 point 4th quarter deficit, with a rookie Head Coach and rookie QB is “pathetic?????” Seriously???
LOL...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yea... Simmons trashes DBook as well. [emoji109]
Overcoming an 18 point 4th quarter deficit, with a rookie Head Coach and rookie QB is “pathetic?????” Seriously???
LOL...
No..... The decision to choose a tie. He called that pathetic.

He's mostly right about Dbook so far as well.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There is no substitute for playing smart in any walk in life.

Warren Buffett didn't become Warren Buffett by throwing the dice.

Interesting that you would chose that person as the champion of your thinking.

I hear you but it is after all a game, it's not life or death and as such you should attempt to win it.

Reaction score
You must not understand math.
Seriously! Anyone thinking that going for it on '4th and 7 at the Detroit 46 yard line would have given the Cardinals a higher probability of winning doesn't understand probabilities! Even though the game ultimately ended with a tie, the Cardinals actually increased the number of opportunities for them to win the game by punting in that situation. A turnover (loss of possession on downs) at that point would have swung the probability advantage to Detroit for the remainder of the game. By punting they kept Detroit in a statistically disadvantageous position.
You must be registered for see images attach

With Detroit's posession on first down, FOLLOWING the punt, Arizona still had a 62.5 % probability of winning the game. Upon the pass completion on first down Detroit's advantage was 54.6%; on 1st and 10 at the 24 Stafford was sacked once again giving Arizona advantage, which they kept (increased) until the end of the game.

Had the Cardinals turned the ball over to Detroit near mid-field it would have given Detroit a huge advantage statistically.

The Cardinals made the statistically correct call by punting at that point in the game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A day later, I am happy we tied, instead of potentially taking the L, but in the heat of the moment, I wanted to see Kyler pull it off and turn me into a believer. I had cash in hand to run over to the team shop and buy a jersey if we had won, haha.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A day later, I am happy we tied, instead of potentially taking the L, but in the heat of the moment, I wanted to see Kyler pull it off and turn me into a believer. I had cash in hand to run over to the team shop and buy a jersey if we had won, haha.

Rallying from an 18 point 4th quarter deficit, which included a 2-point conversion, wasn’t enough?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
[emoji123][emoji458]

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Rallying from an 18 point 4th quarter deficit, which included a 2-point conversion, wasn’t enough?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
[emoji123][emoji458]
I don't think you're 100% serious - of course I'm entertained, but this is one of those instances where the poor play of the offense is why we ended up in that deficit. The defense played their hearts out to keep us in the game.

I can't help but question if this is one of those games where the team in the lead just laid off the gas and/or aren't that talented.