DET @ ARI - Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The last thing my 9-year-old daughter said to me before bed was "Go Cardinals!" This is unusual — and it might be the most important result of yesterday's game.

The first three quarters of the Cardinals 2019 season seemed like the logical continuation of the 2018 season. I was drinking heavily while watching a DVR'd game and the kids went swimming because nothing good was happening. But then we were all gathered around the game in the fourth quarter and I waived our ironclad "no screens after dinner" rule to watch the game to the end.

The Arizona Cardinals should've won the game yesterday. The had more than a few chances to do so. But they won over the young fans in my house, and that's a good start.

You must be registered for see images

Zane Gonzalez – Absolutely nails, especially as the pressure mounted during the game and the kicks became more and more meaningful and important. He's going to miss some of these kicks during the season, but hopefully they'll be in lower-leverage situations as the season goes on.

Andy Lee – Eight punts averaging over 45 yards each, plus helped force a couple of turnovers AND pinned Detroit at the 5 in overtime. Andy Lee might be one of the 5 best players on the Cardinals right now.

Vance Joseph – A good plan to start off the game and excellent halftime adjustments to put the clamps on the Lions offense in the second half. Outside of the cornerbacks, this is a veteran group of players bordering on aging. They're going to need to do better than this in the coming weeks, but they came ready to play.

You must be registered for see images attach

Budda Baker – Budda Baker's reputation is way out of line with his actual production. Baker had 8 tackles on Sunday, but failed to make plays on the ball and was the guy running into the screen late whenever Detroit completed a deep pass.

KeeSean Johnson – Oof. Welcome to the NFL, young man. Five catches on 10 targets for an awful 46 yards. He was trusted with holding down the outside (Along with Demiere Byrd). Both will see their snaps significantly decrease next week when Michael Crabtree comes in.

Christian Kirk – Kirk would be the third-best receiver on a good team. He had 12 targets yesterday and managed 4 receptions for 32 yards. He seems to have a rapport with Murray, but he has to start bringing in some of these balls.

Has the future of football arrived?
Not yet! Kyler Murray looked like a pretty standard-issue rookie QB for three quarters and then managed to string together some plays at the end of the game. His accuracy — even when he was completing passes — was troubling and needs to improve. His decision-making in the running game wasn't great. Also, he had three passes batted down, which is bad!

That said, the Cards ran 89 offensive plays yesterday(!!). We might have had 25% of those with 4 wide receivers on the field. San Francisco had 69. Only 18 of those plays were in overtime (I'm counting punts as offensive plays; I don't know if the NFL does or not). This was with at completely stinktastic offense for three quarters.

Kyler and Kliff are going to need better weapons. If Keim is around next offseason, he will need to make some strategic decisions about whether to invest in free agent offensive linemen and/or wideouts.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
KeeSean Johnson – Oof. Welcome to the NFL, young man. Five catches on 10 targets for an awful 46 yards. He was trusted with holding down the outside (Along with Demiere Byrd). Both will see their snaps significantly decrease next week when Michael Crabtree comes in.

This is a bit harsh IMO. This was a rookie drafted in the 6th round playing his first ever NFL game. With that context I think he had an okay game and has shown something he can build upon.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nice summary K9. In short, our rookies and young guys (Kirk & Budda), played in line with their youth. Gotta hope we see signs of learning and growth over the course of the season - most importantly with Murray. Decision-making... Foot-work/mechanics... Accuracy... Gotta be better.

Nice call out of Vance. Not that the Lions are world-beaters on offense, but boy it’s nice to see halftime adjustments made and that actually work!

Oh, I though DJ played a very solid game. Ran hard. Caught passes he’s supposed to catch, and blocked well. [emoji106]

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nice summary K9. In short, our rookies and young guys (Kirk & Budda), played in line with their youth. Gotta hope we see signs of learning and growth over the course of the season - most importantly with Murray. Decision-making... Foot-work/mechanics... Accuracy... Gotta be better.

Nice call out of Vance. Not that the Lions are world-beaters on offense, but boy it’s nice to see halftime adjustments made and that actually work!

Oh, I though DJ played a very solid game. Ran hard. Caught passes he’s supposed to catch, and blocked well. [emoji106]

This is Budda Baker's third season. He has to start actually being the guy that the Cards brass is talking him up to be.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddha Baker DEAD ON!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buddha is a highly touted high draft pick playing in his 3rd year... come on dude.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was thinking about Baker during the game. Not a factor. Had high hopes for this guy.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While Hicks isn't the fastest LB, he did have 14 tackles and should be on the hero list. Believe we held the Lions to 3.6 YPC.

The ONE PLAY that makes me think that KM will meet my expectations, was his pass to Kirk for the 2 point PAT to tie the game with about 30 seconds left. Money.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last thing my 9-year-old daughter said to me before bed was "Go Cardinals!" This is unusual — and it might be the most important result of yesterday's game.

You're dead on for the kids. My granddaughter texted me the game was 'totally wack'.
I guess that's a good thing... lol

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald has to be ahead of all the goat lists. The first deep ball.he caught was a good throw but 90% of most WRs and no one else on our team catches that!!!! And that one play sparked the team. His ability to make catches that should make every highlight reel is amazing. His energy and ability to rise up makes other players around him better. I dont think there is another WR I would rather have for Kyler. Dude is a beast and I hope he plays next year. He may break every record if he does.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The first three quarters of the Cardinals 2019 season seemed like the logical continuation of the 2018 season. I was drinking heavily while watching a DVR'd game and the kids went swimming because nothing good was happening. But then we were all gathered around the game in the fourth quarter and I waived our ironclad "no screens after dinner" rule to watch the game to the end.

The Arizona Cardinals should've won the game yesterday. The had more than a few chances to do so. But they won over the young fans in my house, and that's a good start.

You must be registered for see images

Zane Gonzalez – Absolutely nails, especially as the pressure mounted during the game and the kicks became more and more meaningful and important. He's going to miss some of these kicks during the season, but hopefully they'll be in lower-leverage situations as the season goes on.

Andy Lee – Eight punts averaging over 45 yards each, plus helped force a couple of turnovers AND pinned Detroit at the 5 in overtime. Andy Lee might be one of the 5 best players on the Cardinals right now.

Vance Joseph – A good plan to start off the game and excellent halftime adjustments to put the clamps on the Lions offense in the second half. Outside of the cornerbacks, this is a veteran group of players bordering on aging. They're going to need to do better than this in the coming weeks, but they came ready to play.

You must be registered for see images attach

Budda Baker – Budda Baker's reputation is way out of line with his actual production. Baker had 8 tackles on Sunday, but failed to make plays on the ball and was the guy running into the screen late whenever Detroit completed a deep pass.

Christian Kirk – Kirk would be the third-best receiver on a good team. He had 12 targets yesterday and managed 4 receptions for 32 yards. He seems to have a rapport with Murray, but he has to start bringing in some of these balls.

Has the future of football arrived?
Not yet! Kyler Murray looked like a pretty standard-issue rookie QB for three quarters and then managed to string together some plays at the end of the game. His accuracy — even when he was completing passes — was troubling and needs to improve. His decision-making in the running game wasn't great. Also, he had three passes batted down, which is bad!

That said, the Cards ran 89 offensive plays yesterday(!!). We might have had 25% of those with 4 wide receivers on the field. San Francisco had 69. Only 18 of those plays were in overtime (I'm counting punts as offensive plays; I don't know if the NFL does or not). This was with at completely stinktastic offense for three quarters.

Kyler and Kliff are going to need better weapons. If Keim is around next offseason, he will need to make some strategic decisions about whether to invest in free agent offensive linemen and/or wideouts.
I agree with most of your assessment. However more often then not Kirk and Johnson wasn’t dropping easy passes.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And Larry Fitzgerald alone is he plays like he did yesterday is worth watching the Cardinals. He never disappoints. Stuck with us when New England would have taken him anytime. He would have 3 Rings right now probably. But he is loyal and the hardest worker. That alone makes liking the Cardinals amazing. Im hoping we play like the last part all season. Because if we do. It will be a hell of a ride.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is Budda on here before Swearinger?

Matter of fact, how is Swearinger not even on here at all?

Swearinger arguably had the worst game out of literally every starter yesterday.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't agree with any of your goats.

There was no bad drops or catches that should have been made for Keeshean or Kirk. I saw nothing wrong with either one's performance.

As far as Buddha - the dude is a free safety - he is supposed to come out of nowhere to make a play - he is not assigned a specific man he is the last line of defense, and he made several good saving tackles.

If you are going to compare Swearinger had the worse game.

But overall, considering the Cards were playing a lot of zone to cover up for our corners, I thought the effort was pretty good except for a couple broken coverages.

To me the worst defensive player was Brock - but even he wasn't terrible, and he made one really good play in the end zone.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree about Budda. How he hasn't simply lucked into at least one INT in his career after playing so many snaps is beyond me. He had to be nearing a record. He also has 1 pass defended over his last 15 games. A ball hawk he is not.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree about Budda. How he hasn't simply lucked into at least one INT in his career after playing so many snaps is beyond me. He had to be nearing a record. He also has 1 pass defended over his last 15 games. A ball hawk he is not.

This... He’s talked about By a few on this board like he’s Ed Reed back there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't agree with any of your goats.

There was no bad drops or catches that should have been made for Keeshean or Kirk. I saw nothing wrong with either one's performance.

As far as Buddha - the dude is a free safety - he is supposed to come out of nowhere to make a play - he is not assigned a specific man he is the last line of defense, and he made several good saving tackles.

If you are going to compare Swearinger had the worse game.

But overall, considering the Cards were playing a lot of zone to cover up for our corners, I thought the effort was pretty good except for a couple broken coverages.

To me the worst defensive player was Brock - but even he wasn't terrible, and he made one really good play in the end zone.
If Swearinger wasn’t the vocal leader of the DBs, Deionte Thompson’s snaps would be increasing by the week.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This is a bit harsh IMO. This was a rookie drafted in the 6th round playing his first ever NFL game. With that context I think he had an okay game and has shown something he can build upon.

That's a great point, that right now, he's actually over-achieving for a 6th round pick.

However, I also agree with Krang and K9 that we probably need, right now it looks like we need, more talent at the WR position. When you consider we'll have to replace Larry in a couple of years, we need a lot more.

Isabella has been a disappointment. Our sixth round pick is starting, but Izzy can't even sniff the WR rotation?

Who was our 5th wide out yesterday? DJ most of time? Did any other WRs get reps besides Kirk, KJ, Fitz and Byrd? Edit - Sherfeild got five snaps at WR. None for Izzy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddha is definitely overrated but I too wasn't all that unhappy with Johnson or Kirk. To be honest I thought for 3 quarters the problem on offense was largely Murray, and then Kliff said he changed to calling plays Kyler had more success with in practice and it finally clicked. Kirk was wide open on one play in between defenders and KM overthrew it.

My comment on Murray when his name first came up was how do we know how good he is in college he was deciding which wide open Wr to throw it to. That was the case yesterday IMO it took him 3 quarters to figure out in the NFL sometimes you have to go to the first open guy. Sometimes you have to throw it away, and sometimes you have to just throw the ball to larry and let him make the catch.

I was impressed with Murray's arm, he made some throws that I didn't think he could make. Palmer had an excellent arm, so does Josh, I'm not convinced Murray doesn't have a better arm than either one of them. He plays too flat footed I think it took him awhile to figure out NFL guys are much faster, schemes are better, and he can't just avoid the first rusher turn the corner and run for 25 yards, there's going to be a 2nd and 3rd guy there. I also think as I said yesterday he was way too hesitant to run. I don't want him running around like RG3 and getting hurt, but he left some first downs out there by not running and on a couple of his runs I thought he slid too quickly short of the first down. Again protect himself by all means but he's so quick if he decides to go he needs to go get the first and then get down or out of bounds.

I also think if he's Brady or Rodgers that hit out of bounds is a penalty. He actually avoided much of the hit.

Still mad at Brock had the game literally in his hands and dropped it.