Zane Gonzalez

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just want to give Zane some props. Remembering his Browns play I was surprised that the team didn't bring in any competition for TC. In the PS he was pretty good but I was still nervous. Yesterday, he made me a believer. My only question is how will he bounce back, when he misses his first kick. But, yesterday he was great.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of special teams looked great yesterday. Kudos to the entire special teams unit!

Meanwhile in Tampa, BA and his buddy Amos Jones started things off like they just left here:

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/08/niners-block-punt-on-buccaneers-opening-drive/

This definitely isn’t how people thought the Bruce Arians era was going to start in Tampa Bay.

On the Buccaneers’ first drive of the game, the Bucs went three-and-out, only to have their punt blocked by the Niners, who eventually got a field goal out of the turnover to go up 3-0.

Uh you forgot to ask the people in Arizona. Welcome to BA's buddy Amos Jones! LOL

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Special teams looked GOOD, Finally!

They took knees on kick offs - Was good to see

Kickoffs they kicked it out of the end zone...GOOD

They blocked a punt - amazing

Andy wasn't pressured on punts and got good kicks off

They made all the FG's - finally

and that special teams tackle...was amazing

I saw a few games where they had a variety of special teams issues....including the Bucs - whom BA is running (I'm sure you know). BA never put 1 cent into special teams....I estimated the Cardinals gave up over 40 yards a game by having every kickoff ran out....to the 15....unless there was a holding call and then they had it at the 5 or the 10.....giving up almost 20 yards on EVERY kickoff. Drove me insane.

Kudos to the Special teams coaching and players

Anyone see the Rams game Hekker was punting the ball 82 yards in the air time and time again. The net was lower due to some returns, but he kicked it 82 yards in the air.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am really happy to see Zane hitting everything perfectly. The kid was an absolute stud at ASU and as an Arizona alum that is hard for me to admit. Kicking has such a massive mental aspect to it because of how the mind can affect mechanics but it looks to me like Zane has gotten over that hurdle. I think he could have hit the game winner in OT but you don't mess with something like that this early when you've got your young kicker finally back to the form he was supposed to be in when he was drafted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of special teams looked great yesterday. Kudos to the entire special teams unit!

Meanwhile in Tampa, BA and his buddy Amos Jones started things off like they just left here:

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/08/niners-block-punt-on-buccaneers-opening-drive/

Uh you forgot to ask the people in Arizona. Welcome to BA's buddy Amos Jones! LOL

of freaking course they had a punt block!

ST was night and day from the last four years. 4/4 field goals, great punting and gunner play and a blocked punt. Outstanding day from that unit.

Also, was good to see Gonzalez start a season 4/4 with some key pressure FGs in there. That position is all about confidence and a good start to the season can only help there.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I hope that I was wrong about Zane Gonzalez. I have doubted him for being erratic. But he has looked solid lately. Can’t underestimate the importance of a good kicker

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kicker scores monthly honor
Cardinals kicker Zane Gonzalez has been named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month for his performance in October, as he led the NFL with 42 points.

Ahead of Sunday's game, Gonzalez had made 11 of 12 field goals during the month and made eight consecutive field goals entering Thursday night’s game against the 49ers. In Arizona’s Week 5 victory at Cincinnati, Gonzalez tied his single-game career high with four field goals, including a 31-yarder as time expired to give the Cardinals a 26-23 win.

Per Azcentral.com

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Such a weird year. So many ups and downs.

And it's not like this kids kick's are doinking off the uprights and through. His aim is true. He's a machine.

Great job Steve Keim?

Sure, I will give Keim credit for briefly exiting the haze of incompetence and signing Gonzalez.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sure, I will give Keim credit for briefly exiting the haze of incompetence and signing Gonzalez.

There is no doubt AZ, that there are multiple, multiple instances of Keim mis-managing the roster, and the coaching staff. And it goes back at least two + years.

But haven't there also been some recent sparkling successes?

What if we would have drafted Bosa, or Q. Williams, or even Haskins for god's sake?

Then they're guys like Maxx Williams, Hicks, Clay and Gonzales, and Sweezy, and even a guys like Kerr and Murray (OT), guys that he signed basically off the street, but that have contributed. He had very limited resources in FA, in part because of his own failures, but he kept churning the bottom of the roster.

Then he plucks Drake off the Dolphins for basically a six pack of bud light?

I get mad too when I see Joe Walker starting, and Suggs looking 50 years old while trailing a play.

But Keim was the architect of the 2015 roster that won 13 games. Not Graves. Not Bidwill, not Bruce Arinas.

And somebody else pointed out that there are not a lot of above-average GMs waiting around at the Starbucks in Scottsdale, ready to sign on with us, but SK appears to be fighting desperately to save his career. He's made some excellent moves this year. Not just good ones. Excellent ones.

So are you at least open to the possibility of keeping him on one more year? Based on his innate ability, do you think that we should maybe give him one more chance? Not out of mercy, or friendship, but because it's really the best decision, long term, for the team?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My confidence in him is growing. I dont think he can ever be trusted to kick 55 yarder, but anything in the range below, I think he can hit.

Can any kicker really be trusted 100% to make a 55 yarder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson