Likes and dislikes from game 1

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
-Kylers second-half play. It would have been too easy to let his 1st half play get in his head and derail this young man's confidence, but he weathered the storm and had a phenomenal 2nd half. I'd like to see my running plays from him like old-school Michael Vick; it will keep the defense honest.
-Special teams game was fantastic, Trent Sherfield is a beast. Zane Gonzalez has been solid all through the pre-season and didn't miss any FG's today.
-The run defense was pretty stout
-Suggs showed he can still play at his age; it's fantastic I played against him when he played for Hamilton, he was a running back believe it or not.
- Larry the legend, what else is new
- David Johnson had a silently overall good game
- The offensive line was pretty decent, Detroit has an excellent interior line
- Byron Murphy was great, loved this pick.

Dislikes:
- Pass defense, seemed like they had too many wide-open receivers. Once PP and Alford get back, this should help (PP damn knucklehead)
- Goal-line play where we had to settle for an FG, I understand this is how the air raid lines up in goal line, spread out the defenders, but why not just be safe and pound the rock here.
- Kylers first-half play was brutal, but he is a rookie, and it's his first NFL game, he settled in
- Batted balls need to get fixed; opposing teams are going to look to exploit this.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This offense can't function at normal game plodding speed. Everyone is covered and the line can't hold long.
We need to run this thing like we did at the end of the game.

Two Minute Offense, all game long. Run circles around them.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah, good for him. He had called several bad plays.

To add to your dislikes is Kyler needs to throw the ball away why he is flushed out instead of losing yardage by going out of bounds or sliding.

He will be better.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I really disliked about this game?

Murray's demeanor until the 4th quarter.... He had that defeated bitch face that Cam Newton gets when he's sucking ass.... At least he didn't have his head covered up with a gatorade towel like Cam does.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score

Murray's demeanor until the 4th quarter.... He had that defeated bitch face that Cam Newton gets when he's sucking ass.... At least he didn't have his head covered up with a gatorade towel like Cam does.
? He was even keeled. Didnt hold his head down or complain. Showed hell of composure and brought the team back.
Unreal for a rookie in his first game

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

lol @ Cam Newton defeated face

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t understand what you expect him to do. Laughing and joking and blowing kisses? Of course he’s going to look agitated and frustrated.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My 2 concerns with Kyler. 1) Batted balls, the NFL record for batted balls is 23--he has 4 after 1 game, there has to be a way to address it, those will eventually lead to turnovers--it already killed a couple of drives yesterday 2) I saw reports from practices/training camp that Kyler had a tendency to start slow and seemed to throw an early INT and then get better as practice progressed, yesterday did nothing to dissuade that, they need to find a better way to get him comfortable early or we will always be playing from behind

That 4th quarter was very encouraging overall.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
My 2 concerns with Kyler. 1) Batted balls, the NFL record for batted balls is 23--he has 4 after 1 game, there has to be a way to address it, those will eventually lead to turnovers--it already killed a couple of drives yesterday 2) I saw reports from practices/training camp that Kyler had a tendency to start slow and seemed to throw an early INT and then get better as practice progressed, yesterday did nothing to dissuade that, they need to find a better way to get him comfortable early or we will always be playing from behind

That 4th quarter was very encouraging overall.

Was just thinking about this myself...good point.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Coach took the hit for Kyler. Rightly so.
Kingsbury should take the hit. He did not call a good game and the team did not look ready to play.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury should take the hit. He did not call a good game and the team did not look ready to play.

I rewatched the first half, and it actually was not as bad as it seemed.

There was a BS holding call that killed one drive, on another DJ humpries was asleep like he didn't know the snap count and let his man run by him which blew up the play, and on a third Pugh got whipped which ended the drive.

I was actually encouraged after reviewing it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thoughts on the short & not 6’3 CB Byron Murphy?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Liked
Run D

Disliked
Sweezy jumping in the air and sacking Kyler.

Actually, Murray the RT got beat on the play, and Sweezy was coming in to make the block on his man, which he successfully did in an earlier play.

Kyler actually had room to run to the other side on that play.

I was actually impressed with Sweezy awareness on that play. If you want to be pissed at anyone for that, it should be Murray the RT.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone give me an overall impression of Vance Joseph's defensive game plan? Lots of posts about the the offense and some about the individual defensive players good and bad, but not much about defensive scheme.

Thoughts please.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Run defense was better than expected. Pass rush was OK, got some pressures but there were times he wasn’t threatened at all. Pass defense had good moments but the big glaring issue is TE coverage by the LBs to me. Way to slow, and wide open. There seemed to be a couple blown assignments that led to big plays. The Stafford scramble and TD late in the game was inexcusable.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
A big thank you to the dumb Lions coach who called the timeout with about a minute left.What a dumb move.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big thank you to the dumb Lions coach who called the timeout with about a minute left.What a dumb move.
He thought the play clock was going to run out and maybe Stafford didn’t notice. Stafford notice this the small tirade of “trust me!”.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t understand what you expect him to do. Laughing and joking and blowing kisses? Of course he’s going to look agitated and frustrated.

Yeah ok,

So acting defeated and laughing joking etc are the only correct responses?

Staying positive and upbeat, trying to rally the troops and inspire confidence would be totally the wrong move?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Hindsight is 20/20.

If that play fails...he looks like a genius.

He obviously saw something and wanted a TO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, good for him. He had called several bad plays.

To add to your dislikes is Kyler needs to throw the ball away why he is flushed out instead of losing yardage by going out of bounds or sliding.
Or underthrowing off his back foot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I will disagree with every poster on this it seems. Kingsbury called pretty much the same routes and the same game from start to finish with the exceptions being that there was more movement/motion/misdirection early than late. The early offense was derailed by Murray who was terrible for 70% of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson