Batted Balls: Height or mechanics??

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Four batted balls, the last one killed the drive for a possible game winning FG. DC's are going to watch film of this and have DL stand up our OL and time Murray's release and get their hands up to bat down the ball. Fitz said it helped because it limited the number of pass rushes giving Murray time in the pocket but better defenses are going to mix up blitz packages to fluster Murray.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the limited sample size, I think the kid throws more accurately when he's moving...Which makes the lack of designed bootlegs baffling.

I feel like he might have been discouraged from running, or maybe he's trying to prove that he can be a pocket QB?

How the hell else can you explain Stafford having more rushing yards??

At any rate, the O-line performed WAY past my expectations today.... If he's not rolling out.... 4-5 batted passes will become 8-9 when we face a good defense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sam Darnold had three batted balls today. Its not height. It's mechanics.
This. When you are throwing short over the middle you have to find lanes to throw through. This is true for QBs of any height and I suspect Kyler will improve on it over time.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He doesn’t set his feet and step through a lot of his throws and relies too much on his arm strength instead of sound mechanics. Good thing is—with work—it can be fixed.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there any oline blocking technique where you can prevent the dlinemen from throwing up there hands without it being a holding penalty or something?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
When you probably can't sack a QB, the smartest DLineman will be ready for the batted pass.

Kyler will get a ton of that this year and I hope he can figure it out. 4 (4 I think?) in a game is very conspicuous.

But..... after that start...... We are nitpicking a rookie in his first NFL game.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you probably can't sack a QB, the smartest DLineman will be ready for the batted pass.

Kyler will get a ton of that this year and I hope he can figure it out. 4 (4 I think?) in a game is very conspicuous.

But..... after that start...... We are nitpicking a rookie in his first NFL game.

Meh 4 batted in one game is not nitpicking it’s a concern new or not

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of Game planning and inexperience. My guess is that Matt Patricia told his DL to watch Murray and get those hands up to take away throwing lanes.

This is the first time that Murray has played against a NFL defense. There will be a learning curve. Hopefully K1 an KK can make adjustments moving forward.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of Game planning and inexperience. My guess is that Matt Patricia told his DL to watch Murray and get those hands up to take away throwing lanes.

This is the first time that Murray has played against a NFL defense. There will be a learning curve. Hopefully K1 an KK can make adjustments moving forward.

The Detroit line had definitely been coached to do that and we will see it every game now. A couple of those batted balls, the guy really wasn't even rushing, just watching Murray and hoping to get his hands into the passing lane.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been searching for a database that tracks NFL batted balls but have had no luck.

-Kyler Murray threw 54 passes and had 4 batted, for a batted ball rate of ~7.5%.

-What is the average rate of batted balls in the NFL?

Important info needed to give us some context IMO.

Either way, I'm fairly confident that Kyler is talented and driven enough to make this a non-issue in the future.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've been searching for a database that tracks NFL batted balls but have had no luck.

- Kyler Murray threw 54 passes and had 4 batted, for a batted ball rate of ~7.5%.

-What is the average rate of batted balls in the NFL?

Important info needed to give us some context IMO.

Either way, I'm fairly confident that Kyler is talented amd driven enough to improve in every way.

The only thing I found was an article on Kirk Cousins from last season, they said he was on pace for 32 batted balls and the NFL record was 23 in 2006 but they didn't say who that QB was...the article, interestingly enough, was about the Cardinals batting down 5 of his passes when we played them last year.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trick question. It’s mechanics but those mechanics are related to his height. I see the concern here for sure but I won’t get up in arms until I see it not being addressed by Kyler and Kliff.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You have to make a guy pay. In the Chargers game, last year's defensive rookie of the year jumped up to bat down a Philip Rivers pass. The OL planted him in the ground and knocked the wind out of him. The guy had to leave for a play. He did not bat down another pass all game, that I noticed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is where I am at. Kyler Murray looked off and uncomfortable until the 4th quarter. He needed more game experience.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One thing that I noticed about Murry is that he pats the ball before he passes, especially in high-leverage situations. This is a problem that I'm surprised hasn't been coached out of him by his dad. Not sure it's a habit that can be broken at this point.

It basically takes some of the air out of Murray's quick release and lets opponents know to get their hands up. Weird habit.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
One thing that I noticed about Murry is that he pats the ball before he passes, especially in high-leverage situations. This is a problem that I'm surprised hasn't been coached out of him by his dad. Not sure it's a habit that can be broken at this point.

It basically takes some of the air out of Murray's quick release and lets opponents know to get their hands up. Weird habit.
It is also a tell for the defenders.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if Kyler was 6’1” none of his passes would have been batted down? Even the greatest and tallest qb’s have balls batted down.

Will it be a problem? Sure, at some time. Is it enough to negate his ability? I’d say no.