Kyler Murray

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
For me he was atrocious in the first three quarters, great in the fourth and solid in OT.

My overall thoughts on him are that I need to see more before I crown or bury the kid.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kingsbury needs to game plan to get him in a rhythm early in the game. There was no continuity. Get some easy completions.

Also, the option play where he runs toward the hash and then tosses it to the outside can go. It doesn't work in the NFL. Turn that into a run pass option with a receiver 10 yards down field running parallel to him.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was disappointed in a couple of his decision making /mental errors. I. E., taking sacks and not throwing the ball away, sliding just a little early/curling back short of the first down.

Couple of things like that. I thought he would have played a little smarter .

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The biggest positive was the composure. The quiet confidence this kid has is something to really embrace and look forward to as a fanbase imo. That, paired with his desire to win just makes it's more exciting...for me at least.

If Murray were just a freakish athlete, with a great arm, that would be one thing.

But it's the way he's wired upstairs that really gives him the chance to be special. it's not hard to see it is it dscher? It jumps out at you.

Last edited:

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And 2nd thought. I think he saw today this isn’t the big 12 anymore. And that will only drive him to be better. He’s not going to let the bigger, better, faster competition just get to him. He will figure out a way to elevate himself.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure how many rookie QBs have come back from 18pts in 4th. Got to be a record?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure about this, but Murray appears to have some kind of weird, extra gear when things get really bad. Not completely sure if it's a real thing, but its not the first time we seen something like this from him.
He did it against Texas and in garbage time against Alabama

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
And also that the refs call a QB down when he initiates a slide, not where he gets touched.

Really early returns on his running game, but here's what I've noticed so far:

1. He seems to be able to side step the NFL rush pretty well. If he sees a D lineman coming at him, he's going to get away about 95% of the time. He can create space like he did in college, although it closes down faster.

2. His ability to turn the corner is going to be much more limited vs. college. LBs and safeties are fast enough to get to the edge in time so that he's not going to have a lot of success running wide. But I expected this. I don't know about you guys.

3. Where he's going to be able to gash defenses is running off-tackle, or even through the middle of the line. That's when he looks the fastest, and that's when he can use his change of direction too.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Murray were just a freakish athlete, with a great arm, that would be one thing.

But it's the way he's wired upstairs that really gives him the chance to be special. it's not hard to see is it dscher? It jumps out at you.
Absolutely. The talent combined with his (noticably apparent) hatred of losing makes for a great combination IMO. You can see the passion on the field and sidelines.. that will carry him a long way regardless of his ups and downs this season and beyond. Imo

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really early returns on his running game, but here's what I've noticed so far:

1. He seems to be able to side step the NFL rush pretty well. If he sees a D lineman coming at him, he's going to get away about 95% of the time. He can create space like he did in college, although it closes down faster.

2. His ability to turn the corner is going to be much more limited vs. college. LBs and safeties are fast enough to get to the edge in time so that he's not going to have a lot of success running wide. But I expected this. I don't know about you guys.

3. Where he's going to be able to gash defenses is running off-tackle, or even through the middle of the line. That's when he looks the fastest, and that's when he can use his change of direction too.

I think when he is a bit more comfortable he will be running straight up the middle from the pocket for lightning fast 10yard 1st downs. I agree he is not going to be getting the edge on NFL defenses. His quickness will allow him to take off forward for small chunks before linebackers can break off their coverage and get to him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually okay with the lack of flag on that "hit" out of bounds on Murray. He was barely grazed and the defender looked to be letting up at the end. How often do we complain about how wimpy the league is getting with penalties on hitting and taking the fun out of football.

Whether he barely grazed him or not doesn't matter. It took Murray to the ground & the contact was 5 yards out of bounds. The only reason it appeared to only be a graze is because of how good K1 is in avoiding a hit. It was a penalty & should have been called.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Whether he barely grazed him or not doesn't matter. It took Murray to the ground & the contact was 5 yards out of bounds. The only reason it appeared to only be a graze is because of how good K1 is in avoiding a hit. It was a penalty & should have been called.

Yeah. He went for K1s legs too. It was a bad call.

They were really letting them play today.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh...he was overwhelmed for a majority of the game and his slow decision making and poor footwork caused a lot of the offense's issues. That being said, he was nails for a good portion of the 4th Q. A big concern is that Squeak didn't carry the momentum into OT. We will see. Hopefully he can develop and grow.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Good 4th Quarter against a crappy Lions team does not wow me .Show me something when playing a quality team.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good 4th Quarter against a crappy Lions team does not wow me .Show me something when playing a quality team.
A rookie QB with guts and resiliency staging that kind of a comeback shows me plenty. Also, I think the lions turn out to be an average team, didn’t look crappy to me.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Just the biggest comeback by a rookie Qb in the history of the Nfl. No big deal.

Since Murray is supposed to be transcendent and change the game why get excited about a comeback against one of the crappy teams in the NFL?After Cards have SuperDuper QB don`t they?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since Murray is supposed to be transcendent and change the game why get excited about a comeback against one of the crappy teams in the NFL?After Cards have SuperDuper QB don`t they?
This isn't the 0-16 Lions, and Murray isn't the rookei Vick, the last player to truely change the game

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose