Kyler Murray

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Feel free to post your thoughts about Murray's performance here.

If you buried him for good after the 2nd quarter, but have changed your mind, and decided to give him one more week to prove himself, you can post that here too. Everybody's welcome.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Feel free to post your thoughts about Murray's performance here.

If you buried him for good after the 2nd quarter, but have changed your mind, and decided to give him one more week to prove himself, you can post that here too. Everybody's welcome.

I am still concerned about the batted balls because of his height. But other than that, I really don’t have many concerns

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Think we saw the very best and very worst of Kyler in one afternoon. He has potential to be a star, but also potential to be lousy. Hope that 4th quarter/OT was a glimpse into the future.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler will quickly learn that his speed isn't sooo much better than many players in the NFL and will adjust to that.

I was shocked at how inaccurate he was through most of the game.

Thrilled to see him settle down and show why we took him #1 overall.

I expect him to be what we hoped he would be but it will take longer than some of us expected.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not his height that gets batted balls but his extremely crappy footwork.

He is so stupidly athletic he can just not set his feet and drive off his back foot. Every batted ball was thrown off his toes.

He was phenomenal but has a ton of room to improve

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Looking from afar, and going off nothing but highlights, a Jekyll and Hyde performance? Bad early, nice (almost) comeback win?

Pretty dreadful in the first half Stout. The Int was a really bad decision, and he took at least one unnecessary sack. At least two passes blocked at the LOS too. He looked completely out of rhythm.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a competitor that wants to be GREAT. Give Detroit their due. They definitely gave K1/K2 fits for most of the game. They are a legit D. K2 took the handcuffs off Murray just in time for us to escape with a tie. It just proves how good this kid can be that he finished that game throwing for over 300 yards. That Detroit D was tired. If not for the refs hosing us on that Murray late hit, then we win that game.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Murray took over the game in fourth quarter.

Nothing better than an young QB in his first game realizing, "boy, that Fitz guy is actually open when covered too." That will pay dividends down the lane. Heck, it already paid dividends in game 1.

Murray's foot work needs to be better. Also, some of his down the side lane throws were not acurrate. It could just be first game jitters.

Murray did not look as fast people talked about Murray escaping rushers.

Overall, Murray was really good when it mattered throwing the football. Hope Murray keeps progressing with the season. Next Sunday cannot come here soon. Cheers.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a competitor that wants to be GREAT. Give Detroit their due. They definitely gave K1/K2 fits for most of the game. They are a legit D. K2 took the handcuffs off Murray just in time for us to escape with a tie. It just proves how good this kid can be that he finished that game throwing for over 300 yards. That Detroit D was tired. If not for the refs hosing us on that Murray late hit, then we win that game.

I'm actually okay with the lack of flag on that "hit" out of bounds on Murray. He was barely grazed and the defender looked to be letting up at the end. How often do we complain about how wimpy the league is getting with penalties on hitting and taking the fun out of football.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was feeling blue but in the back of my mind I didn't believe he could be that bad.

I said it before K2 said it. I thought the play calling was horrid. It never seemed to give Kyler an easy out and plays were taking to long to develop. It would have been real easy to quit. The one thing this will do is convince everyone in that locker room we are never out of a game. That's huge.

The kids only going to get better and so will Kingsbury.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
You could tell he was gripping up until the 4th. Even Dinglebury looked like a deer in the headlights. But they settled the nerves and Kyler looked great with those 18 straight points. Too bad we couldnt win but Ill take the tie and momentum going into Baltimore next week.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Murray took over the game in fourth quarter.

Overall, Murray was really good when it mattered throwing the football. Hope Murray keeps progressing with the season. Next Sunday cannot come here soon. Cheers.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure about this, but Murray appears to have some kind of weird, extra gear when things get really bad. Not completely sure if it's a real thing, but its not the first time we seen something like this from him.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
We'll have to wait and see next week. Kyler looked real good in the 4th Q and overtime. Maybe Detroit's D might have become a little tired by then, this being the first game! Who knows.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
definitely saw that star potential. I mean its incredibly hard to come in as a rookie and light it up from the start, but you can see it. His confidence will keep growing with his experience. Imagine him in 3-4 years down the road.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler will quickly learn that his speed isn't sooo much better than many players in the NFL and will adjust to that.

I was shocked at how inaccurate he was through most of the game.

Thrilled to see him settle down and show why we took him #1 overall.

I expect him to be what we hoped he would be but it will take longer than some of us expected.
Fitz has never had throws come in that much on target. Murray's accuracy was what stood out to me.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will be incredible. This first start showed all his areas to improve and all the phenomenal aspects that will make him a superstar. What a fun game. We almost won if that pick with seconds left hadn't been dropped.

Fun freaking game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Murray did not look as fast people talked about Murray escaping rushers.

Agreed but that’s the difference between the Big12 and the NFL. He also needs to throw it away instead of taking those sliding sacks when scrambling. Luckily we didn’t take an L after miserable offense for 3 qtrs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Rookie QB and a rookie head coach. Both have to settle down and they will learn. All I know is this, the whole game counts and crunch time is more of a measure of a player or a coach than the opening quarters. Detroit is not a great team by any means but they are pretty much the mean if one considers that their defense is actually better than average and their offense is pro caliber in my opinion. I think those who said that they should have ran their offense game one of the preseason are right, though nothing compares to actual season games. They took a proverbial punch to the mouth and did not fold like a Wilks' team... you know the guy who is a DC now for a team who also has a Oklahoma QB which fared far from the hype in their opener, while I will be patient and chill with Squeak and Kliff :)

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest positive was the composure. The quiet confidence this kid has is something to really embrace and look forward to as a fanbase imo. That, paired with his desire to win just makes it's more exciting...for me at least.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good and bad too be expected from first start. Glad the good came later as it shows he can adjust. Both he and his coach have a lot to learn. Play calling horrible most of the game.