Did we really just play for the tie??????

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
If the Cardinals lost this game because they went for it in a near impossible situation and gave up a field goal, I would have been very upset.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You realize we just killed them in the 4th and ot. We do 1/10 in the first half the lions with Matt playing awesome are done right?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If the Cardinals lost this game because they went for it in a near impossible situation and gave up a field goal, I would have been very upset.

All of the good will Murray and Kliff earned from the 4th quarter and OT would’ve been washed away had Stafford gotten one first down and then Prater hit the GW FG

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Some people apparently have no idea how math works. That was the most exciting tie I've ever seen and the standings slant in our favor over those 0-1 teams...

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You wanted to go for it on 4th and 7 on the 46 yard line, with one of the biggest legs in the NFL on the other team? No thanks

Agreed. Game wasn't over by punting. We could have won if the INT wasn't juggled. They could have muffed the punt or fumbled on a play. Chances slim but not gone.

If that 4th doesn't pay off it's a pretty likely a loss.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What does a tie do for you that a loss doesn’t? You get nothing for a tie. If backed him since the hire but that move was pathetic. Whip out the participation trophy for Kliff.

What does a tie get you? Well if they are competing for a playoff spot at the end of the year and have 1 less loss than another team with the same amount of wins, that tie gets you a playoff berth.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate being content with a tie....But if you told me at halftime we had a chance to get back in that game, I would have laughed uncontrollably.

So yeah... That was an awesome tie IMHO.

On another note... If you told me that Matt freaking Stafford would have more rushing yards than Murray, I would have lost my house if I found someone to take that bet!

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Shocked at the number of fans who say a tie is the same as a loss. Are you talking metaphorically/philosophically or are you really that bad at math?

My team went 8-7-1 and your team went 8-8 this year. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out which record is better.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Theres no 2nd OT, right??? I’m beyond disgusted right now. Kingsbury should be ashamed of himself.
I wanted them to go for it but an not mad. Had TB caught that gift nobody cares about not going for it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocked at the number of fans who say a tie is the same as a loss. Are you talking metaphorically/philosophically or are you really that bad at math?

My team went 8-7-1 and your team went 8-8 this year. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out which record is better.

Rocket surgeon... love it!

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was the right call. We pinned them and Stafford threw a pick that would have won us the game had Brock held on

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does a tie do for you that a loss doesn’t? You get nothing for a tie. If backed him since the hire but that move was pathetic. Whip out the participation trophy for Kliff.

A tie is better than a loss. I thought you knew football.

Look at it like this, the Cards and the Lions are tied for the second best record in the ENTIRE NFL right now. Only a half game behind the best record! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :band:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, I'm certainly confused. I'm looking at the NFL standings and there are teams at 1-0 and others at 0-1 and for some reason, I'm sure you can explain AZ and Detroit are ranked ahead of the latter list. Confused... please help.

Who selects first at the draft?

The team at 8-8 or 8-7-1

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
All good points however I remain steadfast in saying that it is a game and as such should be played to win, never to avoid losing which is exactly what playing for a tie is the ultimate expression of, and also if you want anything worthwhile in life you will never get anywhere if you are more afraid of losing than you are of not winning.

Just my opinion.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
All good points however I remain steadfast in saying that it is a game and as such should be played to win, never to avoid losing which is exactly what playing for a tie is the ultimate expression of, and also if you want anything worthwhile in life you will never get anywhere if you are more afraid of losing than you are of not winning.

Just my opinion.
No offense, but this mindset is the problem with the fanbase. You are projecting your personal life philosophy onto a football game, and assuming there are only 2 outcomes: a win or a loss. Despite Donovan McNabb not being aware, a tie is also possible. Which is by definition not as good as a win, but better than a loss.

We try to boil it down to "if you're not playing to win" nonsense. Really, its Kliff's job to play for the best outcome for the team, which is usually a win. In this case, historically on a 4th and 7 you have a 30% or less chance to convert, then if you can't get another first down, what is our kicker's accuracy from 50+? Maybe 65%? So both those things have to happen, bringing our chance at a win down into the 20's. A turnover there raises the Lions chance of driving into field goal range by quite a bit versus being pinned down at their own 5 yard line after a punt. So, the coach's job is to assess the pros/cons and general probabilities of a win, loss, or in this case tie depending on going for it or not.

Yes we all want to win, and maybe going for it would have resulted in a win, but historically speaking this was probably about a 1 in 4 chance had we gone for it. Obviously there are no guarantees either way, but when we all talk about a coach "putting his team in the best position to succeed" this should be what we're referring to.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave