Triple homer on this but...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am a long time St.Louis to Arizona Cardinal fan and a Texan who has a coach an hour from my hometown heading my team now along with a Texas QB. Honestly, I think people have not really commented about the class Kingsbury is handling all the spite being thrown his way. Maybe it might not work out but it made me smile when Kingsbury went full smart ass on a reporter and why he thinks this will work if the Air Raid was never used at this level before and Kliff says smirking, "because it was never used before"... luv that coach :newcards:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just like his record at Texas Tech... how the hell was he going to win with the recruiting class his defense got :)
Just curious, did he ever get a 4 star D recrute? I read somewhere (over two years ago) that even most 3 Star D recruts did go elsewhere if they had the chance, was that true? Because that would explain a lot for me.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Just curious, did he ever get a 4 star D recrute? I read somewhere (over two years ago) that even most 3 Star D recruts did go elsewhere if they had the chance, was that true? Because that would explain a lot for me.

I couldn’t even name a defensive player in the NFL currently that was drafted out of Texas tech. Do they exist?

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I couldn’t even name a defensive player in the NFL currently that was drafted out of Texas tech. Do they exist?

All these kids in High School are a lot more travel savvy now so to speak to get on a big time program if they have a NFL dream, but there is still some loyalty when one lives in a state as large as Texas, and to be close to family and friends when you take that transitional step in life to attend college. You basically have Texas, A&M, LSU and Oklahoma taking all the top talent and now newer schools like even University of Texas San Antonio clearing out some of the medium talent in the South Central area along with establish Texas State in Central Texas. You have TCU, Baylor, Houston which Texas Tech then has to fight with to get what the big programs do not cherry pick. Because of Leach and Kingsberry they have some history in getting their offensive players drafted because their innovation made their initial talent competitive which helps a tad (Michael Crabtree for example) but what kid with potential is going to want to commit to Tech with NFL aspirations on defense... the Cardinals had a DB in the eighties named Carl Carter but the Zack Thomas' are few and far between

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All these kids in High School are a lot more travel savvy now so to speak to get on a big time program if they have a NFL dream, but there is still some loyalty when one lives in a state as large as Texas, and to be close to family and friends when you take that transitional step in life to attend college. You basically have Texas, A&M, LSU and Oklahoma taking all the top talent and now newer schools like even University of Texas San Antonio clearing out some of the medium talent in the South Central area along with establish Texas State in Central Texas. You have TCU, Baylor, Houston which Texas Tech then has to fight with to get what the big programs do not cherry pick. Because of Leach and Kingsberry they have some history in getting their offensive players drafted because their innovation made their initial talent competitive which helps a tad (Michael Crabtree for example) but what kid with potential is going to want to commit to Tech with NFL aspirations on defense... the Cardinals had a DB in the eighties named Carl Carter but the Zack Thomas' are few and far between

Recruiting in Texas is MUCH MUCH MUCH heavier by out of state schools - programs "bigger" than Tech on a national stage - than when Mike Leach was there. I am not surprised at all the KK had trouble recruiting defense.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Recruiting in Texas is MUCH MUCH MUCH heavier by out of state schools - programs "bigger" than Tech on a national stage - than when Mike Leach was there. I am not surprised at all the KK had trouble recruiting defense.

Yes sir, just trying to give the Texas contingent... and mid north Florida where Boldin is from is also a athletic garden of talent too

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not that I know in the last decade or so. So basically, Texas Tech really has 1-3 stars fighting against 3-5 stars O. If your D coordinator isn't a monster or really good, no chance to stop anyone. A 1 star DT against a 4 Star OL player will rarley get a push ... so basically you are playing catch up.