Week 1: Detroit Lions (0-0) @ Arizona Cardinals (0-0) Pregame thread. 08/30/19-09/07/2019

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Read, some time back, that we'd only have seven OL active on game days. So besides Cole, who else, if we go with seven? IMO, eight makes more sense, but even with eight I don't know who, besides Cole, would be active.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Read, some time back, that we'd only have seven OL active on game days. So besides Cole, who else, if we go with seven? IMO, eight makes more sense, but even with eight I don't know who, besides Cole, would be active.

Since he's a Tackle, I would guess Joshua Miles instead of Lamont Gaillard who is listed as a Guard. Like someone said, Cole could play C or G.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Figures to be an OT.

Miles?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Starting Fitz over possibly Aaron Jones or Damien Williams.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Additionally, I think the o-line will improve if they can keep the same five guys starting for several consecutive weeks, and that will also allow the offense to be more effective by game seven or eight (vs. game one).

So, if you say the offense looks rough around the edges, I would tend to agree, but I'm advocating patience for the first several weeks, with the idea that we will improve steadily as the year progresses. Hope I'm wrong and we start fast.

No question O-lines that work games together improve dramatically. Sadly I can’t see these guys with their injury history playing many games together.

I’m not opposed to patience, I wouldn’t be booing. I’m just telling you what I see, not what I hope happens. I’d love to be wrong and see them win a bunch of games. I know the Eagles did well in some games early but with a much more experienced team.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There isn't one analyst that gives the Cardinals 6 wins or more. Everyone says due to the O line - noted as 2nd worse in the NFL - will being the downfall...and everyone here see's it too
Amazing when you look at the Cowboys all-pro line they have 4 of the 5 signed through 2023.

I'm excited to see it come Sunday.

If Cardinals are already blown out by the 3rd quarter or sooner - Season is over
If the Cardinals lose in the 4th - no big deal - they were in it and better than last year
If the Cardinals win - every press and every person will be watching next week
If the Cardinals blow out the Lions - fans on the board will be getting Super Bowl 54 tattoo's on Sunday night

It truly looks like all or nothing for this season

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki)
9/3/19, 11:36 AM
#Lions DC "Pasqualoni said his unit will be ready, and his old files and catalog of knowledge dating back at least to that 1999 Music City Bowl, when Syracuse held the Kentucky offense to 13 points and one touchdown, will be a big reason why." ⁦‪@davebirkett‬⁩ #HalMumme

Being a Syracuse guy, I recall that game against UK. Pasqualoni was our HC for 14 years with an overall record of 107-59-1. He had 1 losing season, and was then fired. Horrible decision by SU's first year AD. They promptly went 1-10 the year after he left. It's taken Syracuse almost 20 years to recover from that stupid move. To Paul's credit, he has forged a very nice career in the NFL. He's a very good DC, with old school values. He's seen a ton of football over the years. I'd rather we were up against a young DC.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There isn't one analyst that gives the Cardinals 6 wins or more. Everyone says due to the O line - noted as 2nd worse in the NFL - will being the downfall...and everyone here see's it too
Amazing when you look at the Cowboys all-pro line they have 4 of the 5 signed through 2023.

I'm excited to see it come Sunday.

If Cardinals are already blown out by the 3rd quarter or sooner - Season is over
If the Cardinals lose in the 4th - no big deal - they were in it and better than last year
If the Cardinals win - every press and every person will be watching next week
If the Cardinals blow out the Lions - fans on the board will be getting Super Bowl 54 tattoo's on Sunday night

It truly looks like all or nothing for this season

I think there will be highs & lows, but our overall play will be significantly better than last year. As you stated, there's not a so called "NFL expert" alive that has the Cardinals winning more than 5 games. In last year's 1st half opener, the mediocre Skins O had 22 first downs to our 2. It's a pretty low bar to improve upon that stat.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
never come into an opener with such a wide range of conceivable outcomes--

would a great performance by the offense and a win along the lines of 27-17 shock me? no

would a uneven performance by the o -- like the preseason where drives start, but then get derailed by a holding call or a missed assignment -- combined with a bad run defense and they lose 27-13 shock me? no

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is a shootout and both Lions and Cardinals walk away thinking they are having a good year and then the next week they get the Chargers and we get the Ravens and then reality sets in.

Harry

Reaction score
Most of the timing and chemistry that the players build with each other is built on the practice field. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the offense is looking good right out of the gates.
This has not been my experience. Few players at practice are looking to hurt other players. That’s not always the case in games.

Harry

Reaction score
I think it is a shootout and both Lions and Cardinals walk away thinking they are having a good year and then the next week they get the Chargers and we get the Ravens and then reality sets in.
Certainly that’s the best case scenario.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not looking ahead and will be ecstatic if we beat the Lions but honestly the Ravens are not that good. I root for them but they are an 8-8 team at best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see Detroit doing some Detroit type thing like losing to us, but beating LAC. That LAC OLine is nearly as bad as ours.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave