Gaga isn’t the Only One Concerned with Shallow.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Some thoughts about a scary preseason.
Hundley has looked weaker the more he’s played.
How did Nichols get to game 4?
Seals-Jones was too soft to play TE.
Keep in mind guys like Dogbe & Miles are not playing against first teasers.
Those guys making the active roster tells you how weak this team is.
How did Brandon Williams play so many seasons; no gunner is that good?
Someone will pick up Cooper.
KJ is everything I said he would be and maybe more. Think Boldin.
Thompson has got to respond quicker in zone. He needs to anticipate.
I think teams will run early hoping to force Swearinger up, then throw deep.
Lucky TEs aren’t critical to this offense. This set is pitiful, including the 2 they kept.
I’m not ready to give up on Isabella but it’s easy to disrupt his routes.
Kanoff has peaked at too low a point. He’s not going to be an NFL QB.
How did Chad Williams last this long.
If any opponent controls the Cards’ pass rush, they’ll kill this secondary.
Richardson should make the practice squad.

Making the cuts on this squad must have been tough because you’d know you’d be keeping players who don’t belong in the NFL. This is the worst depth I’ve seen as far back as I can recall. Certainly the worst Cards’ depth since the league went to 16 teams. That expansion meant injury losses were inevitable and put a premium on depth. While I think his last draft was fine I think Keim needs to go. He was waiting to grab roster cuts for positions that were universally tight. His system of one year deals once worked but no longer does. This lack of depth is one of the reasons I predicted 4-12. There are some talented starters but not enough.

BTW I asked an experienced NFL coach what he thought about the Cards opening with an offense they’ve only run in practice. He said he would be concerned because even if the Cards’ defense tried to run a wide array looks to acclimate Murray they likely wouldn’t have the talent to run most of them effectively. So Murray would be led to believe he had control of things he didn’t. Expect teams with stunting defenses to be a major problem. They’re tough for any rookie, but likely will be harder for Murray.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ive concluded that this year is a designed start over by the FO

maybe not a Dolphins style start over, but one where they know they wont be competitive for playoffs this year

its also the approach they should have taken last year if they had enough roster self awareness to know that injuries in 2017 werent their only problem

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is a total makeover, which is why I am more confused over the Murray pick ( unless no other team wanted him @ 1).

PS.... Please translate the topic thread title.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
which is why I am more confused over the Murray pick

i think it makes sense

new coach. the QB he wants to run the offense. Also a QB that you rate as "special" vs one from last year that maybe you rate as "better than average"

now its about finding the players to put around him. I think that process includes keeping guys who you think can develop / who ordinarily wouldnt make a playoff ready team.

not sure if the team has the GM to do it

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is a total makeover, which is why I am more confused over the Murray pick ( unless no other team wanted him @ 1).

PS.... Please translate the topic thread title.
I assume lady gaga has a song about shallowness or something. No idea. Surprised Harry knows about lady gaga songs

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My concerns:

1. Bidwill is going to have to commit to Kingsbury beyond this year even if this year is a disaster because Murray doesn't fit in any other type of system that's the corner he backed himself into. Of course Keim will be gone so a new GM is going to inherit this potentially dire situation.

2. Defenses are going to be bringing the house as this offense is going to be in passing situations a lot this season because I don't see this OL opening a lot of running lanes for DJ.

3. I am shocked Keim has not be working the phones trying to bring in veteran CB's instead of claiming 2 reserve CB's who were ended last season on IR. If Brock or Murray go down teams are going to be throwing 50 times a game to expose this already thin secondary.

4. Tyrod Taylor should be back up QB not Hundley.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW I asked an experienced NFL coach what he thought about the Cards opening with an offense they’ve only run in practice. He said he would be concerned because even if the Cards’ defense tried to run a wide array looks to acclimate Murray they likely wouldn’t have the talent to run most of them effectively. So Murray would be led to believe he had control of things he didn’t. Expect teams with stunting defenses to be a major problem. They’re tough for any rookie, but likely will be harder for Murray.
This.

Very concerned about this O playing at NFL speed and handling stunts and blitzes.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concerns:

1. Bidwill is going to have to commit to Kingsbury beyond this year even if this year is a disaster because Murray doesn't fit in any other type of system that's the corner he backed himself into. Of course Keim will be gone so a new GM is going to inherit this potentially dire situation.

2. Defenses are going to be bringing the house as this offense is going to be in passing situations a lot this season because I don't see this OL opening a lot of running lanes for DJ.

3. I am shocked Keim has not be working the phones trying to bring in veteran CB's instead of claiming 2 reserve CB's who were ended last season on IR. If Brock or Murray go down teams are going to be throwing 50 times a game to expose this already thin secondary.

4. Tyrod Taylor should be back up QB not Hundley.

How do you know he is not working the phones for a vet CB?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Harry love your insight, but respectfully I have to disagree.

The Dave Mac era...the Cardinals would keep a number of guys who didn't belong.

This team lacks depth at CB, across the offensive line, and now at RB since they kept only 3.

TE? The Cardinals always suck at TE.

DL looks better now than it did after Philons release.

WR is really deep. Safety looks good. OLB is good. CB is stupid scary, but that is to be expected with a major injury and a suspension.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been my refrain all preseason. As impressed as I have been with Murray, Kingsbury has made some maddening decisions

Prepare your rookie QB for success > a one game advantage for hiding your offense.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been my refrain all preseason. As impressed as I have been with Murray, Kingsbury has made some maddening decisions

Prepare your rookie QB for success > a one game advantage for hiding your offense.

By week 3 we will know if he was right.

Maybe even by game one. I hope not.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The expectations from most on this board for the Cards is pretty low. I could care less about the preseason. I 'm just hoping that they improve over last year and Murray develops into a quality qb.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When 12 rookies make your final 53 it points to how lacking your depth is and where your team really is. Eight more are second year players. That is almost half of your team made up of first and second year players.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Loving how we are getting younger though, blood them in early and see who sticks and can kick on, next year do the same and then we start to look in really good shape with solid depth

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Loving how we are getting younger though, blood them in early and see who sticks and can kick on, next year do the same and then we start to look in really good shape with solid depth

Ahh... the refrains from the McGinnis and Denny Green eras have returned.

Losing is acceptable because reasons. Trust The Process.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ahh... the refrains from the McGinnis and Denny Green eras have returned.

Losing is acceptable because reasons. Trust The Process.
I will take Denny Green, but only if history continues to repeat itself. :)

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I will take Denny Green, but only if history continues to repeat itself. :)

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

When we sign a washed up Cam Newton in two years, it’s going to be incredible.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand your concern. However the situation is so different than anything we’ve seen before.

We have a rookie qb that knows the offense. No other rookie qb has ever been in this position. But like every other rookie qb he’s doesnt know what he doesn’t know. Early success especially against the blitz will slow defenses down. Up tempo play calling will keep defenses in their base defense for longer than they want. We are faster on offense than we have been in a long time.

If we can use that speed in match ups we won’t need the o- line to hold up for 4 to 5 seconds. I’m not looking at big plays until we have them set up for it or extended plays. I see an offense that is going to make first downs, if we limit penalties. Hopefully our speed can also turn the little swing pass into big plays.

We will all have a better idea in about 7 days. I think K1 and K 2 have a plan. Is it 100% fool proof? No. Will it be unstoppable. No. But we will no longer be totally inept and helpless if we are looking at 2nd and 10. I believe we will be able to create enough mismatches to keep things close and competitive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave