The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Shaq’s response, that Kobe would also have more titles if he passed the damn ball more.

Probably true but IMO it's nowhere even close to being as true as Kobe's comment. But KB's comment was self serving so to be clear, I think Shaq would have been the best player since Wilt if he'd had above average work ethic (for a pro athlete) and a basketball IQ to match. He had a reputation for not working on his game in the offseason and he also tended to enter the season considerably overweight. But when he first walked into the NBA, he was a hard-working, strong but lean, giant of a man that could out-run most guards and out-finesse most big men.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe would have more titles if Shaq could hit 60% of his FT’s.
I honestly doubt that Shaq’s free throw shooting ever cost them a ring.

Meanwhile Kobe, in series the Lakers lost, typicality was a horror show of terrible shooting and ball hogging. He lost them the vs Detroit and in elimination games throughout his career he was awful.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Meanwhile Kobe, in series the Lakers lost, typicality was a horror show of terrible shooting and ball hogging. He lost them the vs Detroit and in elimination games throughout his career he was awful.

I think you might be letting your Kobe feelings run wild here a bit. Not that I can blame you, I'm far from a Bryant fan myself. I think he's a very good player but he's incredibly overrated by those that lump him in with the MJ's and Lebron's. From what I saw though, Kobe made that team better (most nights) even if he didn't always make his teammates better. I know he was considered to be a smart ballplayer but if he'd been smart enough to play team ball, maybe he'd even belong in the GOAT conversation. And Kobe is the only one I know that continues to think he was a clutch player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Not sure you can look back and specifically say it cost them a series but if Shaq were a mere average FT shooter he’s probably be in the GOAT convo. Not only would he have been more efficient but he’d take far less of a pounding. By all accounts he never really cared about it... That’s not to say Shaq isn’t higher on the all time list and Kobe didn’t have his flaws but there was a gap in their respective commitment levels to basketball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you might be letting your Kobe feelings run wild here a bit. Not that I can blame you, I'm far from a Bryant fan myself. I think he's a very good player but he's incredibly overrated by those that lump him in with the MJ's and Lebron's. From what I saw though, Kobe made that team better (most nights) even if he didn't always make his teammates better. I know he was considered to be a smart ballplayer but if he'd been smart enough to play team ball, maybe he'd even belong in the GOAT conversation. And Kobe is the only one I know that continues to think he was a clutch player.

I don’t think Kobe was actually terrible, he was a great player, but there were situations in which he was actually terrible, and elimination games were among them.

He reacted very poorly to adversity.

I think if not for having been coached by Phil Jackson then Kobe’s career would have been radically different. Whenever Jackson wasn’t around Kobe went full on ball hogging cancer. Unquestionably talented but not one that could remotely elevate a team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Kobe was actually terrible, he was a great player, but there were situations in which he was actually terrible, and elimination games were among them.

I think if not for having been coached by Phil Jackson then Kobe’s career would have been radically different. Whenever Jackson wasn’t around Kobe went full on ball hogging cancer. Unquestionably talented but not one that could remotely elevate a team.

I agree with you until your last sentence. I would change it to "unquestionably talented but not one that would elevate his teams as much as his talent would suggest.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston signed Eric Gordon to an extension, 4 years & 76 million. They're spending a ton of money for a team that hasn't gotten over the hump, and may not ever get there. They don't have any trade chips really so keeping who they have is important but they may not be able to move some of the contracts they've signed guys to in a year or two when it's evident they aren't in contention anymore. They really need to go all out this year to win because their window has maybe 2 years left, at the most. Then they're capped out with Harden, Westbrook, and Gordon alone. Capela's deal gets them to the luxury tax.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Houston signed Eric Gordon to an extension, 4 years & 76 million. They're spending a ton of money for a team that hasn't gotten over the hump, and may not ever get there. They don't have any trade chips really so keeping who they have is important but they may not be able to move some of the contracts they've signed guys to in a year or two when it's evident they aren't in contention anymore. They really need to go all out this year to win because their window has maybe 2 years left, at the most. Then they're capped out with Harden, Westbrook, and Gordon alone. Capela's deal gets them to the luxury tax.

I have no idea what those guys are doing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was about to ask is Eric Gordon (30) worth this amount of money when I saw your post. The Rockets apparently feel he is.

The 4th season is non-guaranteed for $20.9 million.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Eric Gordon will get three-years, $54.5M guaranteed on his extension, per source, starting with the 2020-2021 season -- $16.9M, $18.2M, and $19.6M. The non-guaranteed season would earn him $20.9M.

9:15 PM - 30 Aug 2019

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

You could say the same thing about four different superstars that were touched by the Zen Master. However I think MJ would’ve gotten over regardless. Probably not 6/6 but definitely several. Imagine the mental circuitry required to coach MJ, Pip, Dennis, Kobe, Shaq... And Kwame

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was about to ask is Eric Gordon (30) worth this amount of money when I saw your post. The Rockets apparently feel he is.

The 4th season is non-guaranteed for $20.9 million.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Eric Gordon will get three-years, $54.5M guaranteed on his extension, per source, starting with the 2020-2021 season -- $16.9M, $18.2M, and $19.6M. The non-guaranteed season would earn him $20.9M.

9:15 PM - 30 Aug 2019

That 4th year being non-guaranteed helps them quite a bit. It's still a lot of money to pay for a 6th man, essentially. I know the Rockets do start him sometimes but they're really small when they do that. Westbrook will help them some since he's a lot bigger than Chris Paul but that's still playing 3 combo guards that are about 6'4" together with 6'6" PJ Tucker as their PF. Poor Capela is the only player with size and he's probably who D'Antoni keeps on the shortest leash also since he can't shoot 3's.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 4th year being non-guaranteed helps them quite a bit. It's still a lot of money to pay for a 6th man, essentially. I know the Rockets do start him sometimes but they're really small when they do that. Westbrook will help them some since he's a lot bigger than Chris Paul but that's still playing 3 combo guards that are about 6'4" together with 6'6" PJ Tucker as their PF. Poor Capela is the only player with size and he's probably who D'Antoni keeps on the shortest leash also since he can't shoot 3's.

I'm thinking P.J. Tucker is still looking for a contract extension.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking P.J. Tucker is still looking for a contract extension.

I remember hearing that he requested an extension but nothing further came from it. He's got 1 year left on his current deal that pays him $7.9 million, only $2.5 million is guaranteed though. They almost need to pay him because they won't be able to replace him because of their cap situation. Outside of their starting 5 they have a lot of rookie and minimum deals.

I'm glad that the NBA changed the mid-level exception during the last CBA. Now teams like the Rockets, who are well over the cap and paying the luxury tax, aren't able to spend the same as teams just barely over the cap who are using their MLE. It's a sizable difference with tax payers only having about $5.25 and non-tax payers having $8.5. That is enough of a difference that most players won't turn down the higher amount or the other. It's also enough that it allows non-tax payers to sign 2 players instead of 1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing that he requested an extension but nothing further came from it. He's got 1 year left on his current deal that pays him $7.9 million, only $2.5 million is guaranteed though. They almost need to pay him because they won't be able to replace him because of their cap situation. Outside of their starting 5 they have a lot of rookie and minimum deals.

I'm glad that the NBA changed the mid-level exception during the last CBA. Now teams like the Rockets, who are well over the cap and paying the luxury tax, aren't able to spend the same as teams just barely over the cap who are using their MLE. It's a sizable difference with tax payers only having about $5.25 and non-tax payers having $8.5. That is enough of a difference that most players won't turn down the higher amount or the other. It's also enough that it allows non-tax payers to sign 2 players instead of 1.

I hope Tucker gets the extension because he has always played hard not only with the Rockets but the Suns as well. It's nice to see hard work rewarded especially from a player that had had to prove himself overseas.

Lots of stuff about the mid-level exception I normally don't think much about.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I hope Tucker gets the extension because he has always played hard not only with the Rockets but the Suns as well. It's nice to see hard work rewarded especially from a player that had had to prove himself overseas.

Lots of stuff about the mid-level exception I normally don't think much about.
Too bad he didn't get to stick with the Raptors for a championship.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad he didn't get to stick with the Raptors for a championship.

Great thought. A player needs to follow the money though. Tucker has never had a huge payday. The Rockets contract is the best he has seen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You see those nasty ass fake tacos he eats to. I would never lol.

He’s an ass you can’t trademark that they’ve used that forever

FYI, Tostada Thursdays at Filiberto's! Tostadas for $1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams that have open two-way spots available. Phoenix has one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grizzlies want to keep Iguodala. I believe he is owed $17,185,185. They received a first round pick in the trade with the Warriors.

I suspect they would like another first round pick if they can find a taker.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: Memphis wants three-time champion Andre Iguodala to report to training camp and is refusing right now to engage in buyout, which would prevent Iguodala from finishing a Hall of Fame career on his terms because this may be his final NBA season.

3:32 PM - 9 Sep 2019

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose