OT - Andrew Luck retires

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its a business.

We owe them nothing. They owe us nothing.

They do not seem to care much about it during labor strikes, free agency, etc., etc.

I will continue to be critical of a player whenever I deem fit.

If the fans want to boo a player when he retires out of the blue 2 weeks before the season starts, that is understandable. Luck did just end the Colts season and who knows how many after this.

That being said I would be surprised to see Palmer get boo'd at his R.O.H. ceremony.

Meh, just sports and entertainment anyhow.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
He better not be booed, that's the reason I spent $1600 on plane & game tickets plus hotel room. Wanted to be there for his ROH ceremony. My first game ever at SFS.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Andrew Luck did what he needed to do for whatever reason he felt necessary. I hope he has a long, healthy and happy life outside of football.

He was sure a great one when healthy.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is all on the Colts FO. They let Andrew get the crap beat out of him. Keim should take note and move Heaven and Earth to beef up the O line.
Keim tries in vain to improve our O Line with injury prone FA’s and draft picks. Our o-Line is horrible but it’s not for lack of effort in trying to improve it. It’s just that SK keeps making bad decisions and bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
If km Had the type of injuries that Andrew luck has had... I wouldn't blame him at all for going to baseball. Having a couple unsuccessful years in the NFL, but not injury plagued, would give me a different reaction if he decided to go to baseball. You can't compare the two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I meant from the perspective that an athlete (or joe anyone’s) should do whatever floats his boat as long as it’s not hurting anyone. Athletes and fans don’t owe each other anything. You may get mad like the idiots in Indy, but that decision is that mans decision alone.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb on twitter called Luck retiring because rehabbing was too hard "the most milennial thing ever."

And Torrey Smith responded "you stole credit cards because working was too hard."

Its' like Gottlieb just forgets every now and then and needs to be bitch slapped by people. The guy at Notre Dame stole credit cards from a guy living in the same dorm(not the same room) as him, and USED them. He bought stuff at a sporting goods store. He got expelled but ND kept it quiet(Privacy) so Gottlieb then publicly told the LA Times he transferred because ND couldn't offer him what he wanted. Some student at ND got tired of him bashing them so he wrote a story revealing the truth, got in trouble, but then Gottlieb went radio silent for awhile before issuing an apology.

Everytime someone calls him on it he has a tantrum, that was years ago I've apologized, move on, and then he trashes another athlete.

Thank you Torrey Smith, the NFL should give you part of Luck's remaining salary as bonus for putting Gottlieb in his place

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His health is on the line.
I think it's safe to say his health was as much on the line today as it was this past March & April five months ago...when he should have made a decision like this.

I've got zero problem with his decision. Doesn't even matter why he's retiring to me. His extremely selfish timing is what matters.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say his health was as much on the line today as it was this past March & April five months ago...when he should have made a decision like this.

I've got zero problem with his decision. Doesn't even matter why he's retiring to me. His extremely selfish timing is what matters.
Does the timing suck? Sure, but sometimes these decisions don't happen at convenient times and this just happened to be the moment where the decision finally became clear.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

So everything is on your timeline. That’s rich.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brissett is better than Rosen.

Brissett will do better than people think & the Colts are still a legit playoff team. Brissett was like 4-11 as the starter in 2017 with a team devoid of talent. He now has a much more talented team in front of him & IMO Reich is the real deal as a HC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well sure, but what would you say if David Johnson retired today?

I'd say not a fair comparison. Luck could have played in 112 NFL games in his career, he missed 26 of them to injury and played hurt in effectively the last 31 games of his career, with a year off in between those games because of the shoulder.

DJ has missed 15 of 64 possible games so he's missed the same %(about 23) but with one injury not multiple and near as we know he didn't play all last year in pain from the injury.

Luck had some lower leg injury that they finally declared to be a high ankle sprain. IT had lingered far longer than it should have which was becoming a pattern with Luck, he'd get hurt, play hurt, and then in the offseason things wouldn't heal as fast as expected.

If DJ retired now he would have been a bit short of what constitutes a normal career for a good RB. Luck is retiring 5-6 years before what's normal for a good QB. And I think he is a good QB because of the short career. Great player, when he played but his career is too short to call him a great QB.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
^^ You call him a great player when he played, then why is he not a great player, period?
How long does his career have to be for you to call him a great player?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
So everything is on your timeline. That’s rich.
I do not think that is the point.

More like the timing to better help the multi-million dollar franchise that was paying him, and the other 52 athletes playing for that team.

Luck can do what he wants, obviously, and yes, it's his health and his life.

The timing of it was horrible, and he is without a doubt screwing over some people here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
^^ You call him a great player when he played, then why is he not a great player, period?
How long does his career have to be for you to call him a great player?
Great, but no where near HOF material.

He can stsnd next to Drew Bledsoe.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Brissett will do better than people think & the Colts are still a legit playoff team. Brissett was like 4-11 as the starter in 2017 with a team devoid of talent. He now has a much more talented team in front of him & IMO Reich is the real deal as a HC.

Hes a top 5 backup QB. Some in the past have thought he might be a decent starter.

I say high end backup.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad is feeling cursed right now.

Bet the Saints to win it all last year ... controversial non-call in the playoffs.

Bet the Colts to win it all this season ... Luck retires.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
??!??

The Colts were the 5th best team in the AFC. Chiefs, Pats, Chargers, and Browns are the AFC final four this year, Luck or not.

You don't make much money betting the favorites. He likes to pick more of a fringe team that still has a shot. Better odds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose