15 thoughts - Vikings game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Corey Peters really is an undervalued, great player.

2 – Defensive tackle Terrell McClain has impressed me in all three games. I think he can become a big part of the rotation.

3 – Did all of you also think “oh dear God, here comes the height problems” when Murray had two passes batted down?

4 – I thought the first team offensive line did okay (probably not Gilbert, but the rest of them).

5 – David Johnson looks good.

6 – Interesting that edge rusher Pete Robertson got snaps with the first team. And maybe it signals that the coaches believes he is better than Brooks Reed.

7 – Murray sure threw the ball around to a lot of different receivers.

8 – The first team secondary didn’t really get tested, and either that it a sign that they are playing really well, or it is a sign that the defensive line was playing well, or it was a sign that the Vikings’ offense didn’t function.

9 – I wondered if wide receiver Damiere Byrd locked up a spot with some big catches and some good special teams play? To me, there seems to be five receivers who are locks (Fitzgerald, Kirk, KeeSean Johnson, Andy Isabella, Trent Sherfield), but after that I could see it being everybody´s game – with the chances they keep two more. I don´t see Crabtree as a lock, by the way.

10 – I thought Korey Cunningham looked fairly good at right tackle. On the left side I had higher hopes for Joshua Miles after his time in college.

11 – I know I have been talking him up every week, but to me, Ezekiel (apparently he doesn´t want to go by “Zeke”) Turner is the preseason games MVP.

12 – Interesting to see rookie Lamont Gaillard got lots of snaps at center with the second team offensive line. I thought he did well.

13 – Rookie defensive tackle Miles Brown continues to penetrate and make plays. Maybe he will not make the team, but at least he cannot do anymore with the chance given to him. You could say the same for rookie defensive tackle Michael Dogbe.

14 – Rumors started to fly recently that the Dolphins were considering moving offensive tackle Laramy Tunsil, and that some teams has already had feelers out. With the play of Humphries and Gilbert (not to mention that Tunsil is really good), I could see the Cards being one of those teams if the rumors are true.

15 – I wonder why rookie runningback Wes Hills has not gotten more touches in the last two games. I thought he played well in the first one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 – Corey Peters really is an undervalued, great player.

2 – Defensive tackle Terrell McClain has impressed me in all three games. I think he can become a big part of the rotation.

3 – Did all of you also think “oh dear God, here comes the height problems” when Murray had two passes batted down?

4 – I thought the first team offensive line did okay (probably not Gilbert, but the rest of them).

5 – David Johnson looks good.

6 – Interesting that edge rusher Pete Robertson got snaps with the first team. And maybe it signals that the coaches believes he is better than Brooks Reed.

7 – Murray sure threw the ball around to a lot of different receivers.

8 – The first team secondary didn’t really get tested, and either that it a sign that they are playing really well, or it is a sign that the defensive line was playing well, or it was a sign that the Vikings’ offense didn’t function.

9 – I wondered if wide receiver Damiere Byrd locked up a spot with some big catches and some good special teams play? To me, there seems to be five receivers who are locks (Fitzgerald, Kirk, KeeSean Johnson, Andy Isabella, Trent Sherfield), but after that I could see it being everybody´s game – with the chances they keep two more. I don´t see Crabtree as a lock, by the way.

10 – I thought Korey Cunningham looked fairly good at right tackle. On the left side I had higher hopes for Joshua Miles after his time in college.

11 – I know I have been talking him up every week, but to me, Ezekiel (apparently he doesn´t want to go by “Zeke”) Turner is the preseason games MVP.

12 – Interesting to see rookie Lamont Gaillard got lots of snaps at center with the second team offensive line. I thought he did well.

13 – Rookie defensive tackle Miles Brown continues to penetrate and make plays. Maybe he will not make the team, but at least he cannot do anymore with the chance given to him. You could say the same for rookie defensive tackle Michael Dogbe.

14 – Rumors started to fly recently that the Dolphins were considering moving offensive tackle Laramy Tunsil, and that some teams has already had feelers out. With the play of Humphries and Gilbert (not to mention that Tunsil is really good), I could see the Cards being one of those teams if the rumors are true.

15 – I wonder why rookie runningback Wes Hills has not gotten more touches in the last two games. I thought he played well in the first one.

3. No, neither had anything to do with his height, on both he was outside the pocket.

5. David Johnson does not look good - in fact I am very worried about the way he looks.

6. Robertson should make the team - he has pass rush skills

9 Byrd should be our return man / No 5 active reciever, and Cooper should be cut.

14. We need another tackle badly with Humphries and Gilberts history of injuries.

15. I agree. DJ Foster should not make the team, we need more of a running vs receiving back as a backup.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. Agree about Peters. He was blowing up Bradbury on the regular. That play where he bull rushed Bradbury right into Cousins was beautiful.

2. I think the defensive line MIGHT not be the huge weakness everyone thinks. They'll get beat up by the better line, but right now there is some intriguing depth.

3. Murray tried to throw over that blitzer and dude jumped pretty high to knock it down.

4. They handled themselves adequately. Depth is obviously a concern.

5. He was fine, but you see those explosive plays from him anymore. He just doesnt seem to put his foot in dirt and go anymore. His overall ability still makes him very valuable.

6. When you have a young player who hasn't played much you want to see what he can do against starters. Brooks Reed is a proven player.

7. Preseason.

8. Stefon Diggs beat someone bad and Cousins overthrew him. The secondary is pretty scary right now.

9. I dont know if Sherfield is a Lock. He isnt a return man, and the top three to four guys are going to play a lot. I wouldnt bet against him though.

10. I'll take your word for it.

11. Turner belongs. Solid player.

12. Gaillard has a good shot at making the team. Hes been pretty solid.

13. He played hard, but I saw him get roughed up a few times. Good interior OL will probably beat him up.

14. I doubt the Dolphins would move on from a franchise building block.

15. I dont think there is an NFL running back after DJ and Edmonds on this roster. I'd look for another guy once cuts come in.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think DJ will be fine. I honestly think some players play just hard enough in Preseason. I think KK also doesnt him running hard. He is a freak athlete. Can jump and is fast. He didnt lose that all of a sudden. I bet once the season starts he will look great. The system is going to be so different when the season starts. Peter King isnt a dummy. Fitzgerald also has said this offense is different and explosive.
What I find funny. In preseason they have had multiple delay of games. KK system is get up and go. There will be 16 seconds left on the play clock when they hike the ball normally. Murray will also be running the ball more I believe which will really open up DJ.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Robertson beat out Branch, who was cut, today. Reed and Robertson will back up Jones and Suggs. IMO.

Reference Hills. Might the team want to be able to sneak him through waivers and on to the PS? Thus they don't want him to show too much. We'll know Thursday night by how much PT he gets against Denver.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing Cole is going to be the backup at OG and Gillard has shown enough to be the backup center. Since Cole has played OT in college he will probably be active on game day because he could fill in at any of the OL positions if need be.

I'm still concerned about the DB's because I think Cousins sucking so bad helped us out a ton.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing Cole is going to be the backup at OG and Gillard has shown enough to be the backup center. Since Cole has played OT in college he will probably be active on game day because he could fill in at any of the OL positions if need be.

I'm still concerned about the DB's because I think Cousins sucking so bad helped us out a ton.
Cole not being to beat out a 33-year-old AQ Shipley coming off a torn ACL is super disappointing. I know Shipley is a savvy veteran and all of that, but how can Keim whiff on so many Olinemen picks? 7 years of drafting O-linemen, and the only drafted starter we have is DJ.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cole not being to beat out a 33-year-old AQ Shipley coming off a torn ACL is super disappointing. I know Shipley is a savvy veteran and all of that, but how can Keim whiff on so many Olinemen picks? 7 years of drafting O-linemen, and the only drafted starter we have is DJ.

I think you are right that Shipley wins the job because of his experience and knowledge. I think that is very important when you have a rookie QB. I also think Cole being so versatile helps push him to the army swiss knife backup Olineman.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Agree on 1,2,5,6
3 didn’t worry, teaching moments
4 thought Pugh looked weak
7 expect that every week
8 pass rush won the day
9 Crabtree’s a lock
10 & 13 practice squad for Miles & Dogbe
11 I’d make KJ the MVP
12 Gaillard is next year’s starting center
14 cap, cap, cap
15 he’ll be lucky to make the practice squad. Good motor though.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3. Murray tried to throw over that blitzer and dude jumped pretty high to knock it down.

Krang, I should have noted that I did not think it had anything to do with height, either. My point was that I instantly thought it, and thus I thought it was at least a interesting little observation.

6. When you have a young player who hasn't played much you want to see what he can do against starters. Brooks Reed is a proven player.

Yes, but you don’t Nate Brooks, Charles Kanoff or Joshua Miles (or others) played with the starters. To me, it was a very clear signal that they see something in Robertson that they like.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reference Hills. Might the team want to be able to sneak him through waivers and on to the PS? Thus they don't want him to show too much. We'll know Thursday night by how much PT he gets against Denver.

Interesting thought, Garth. Another thing I can think of is that we don’t see the practices. Maybe the other guys simply are more intriguing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Even worse is Cole couldn't win the backup job at center.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cole being a backup who can play OG, OT, and C at a slightly below league average level is great for a mid round pick. This is what the Cardinals have been lacking from previous line prospects they have drafted.

Of course we want more, but if this is the best he can be, that is ok.

Same goes with Galliard.

This is what has irritated me about seeing Senio Kelemete in the league still. 5th rounder who is in his 6th year, is starting (albeit on a very bad line), and costs 4 mil (same as Sweezy). We had this guy and let him go and are now desperate for line help.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang, I should have noted that I did not think it had anything to do with height, either. My point was that I instantly thought it, and thus I thought it was at least a interesting little observation.

Yes, but you don’t Nate Brooks, Charles Kanoff or Joshua Miles (or others) played with the starters. To me, it was a very clear signal that they see something in Robertson that they like.

Most certainly they see something in Robertson.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cardpa, reference Cole. I believe that I read that KK still hasn't decided who will be the starting center, so I'm assuming that he's at least the backup center.