Game #128-Colorado Rockies (57-69) @ Arizona Diamondbacks (64-63). 08/21/19

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why do they stink against horrible pitching.
Because the team philosophy is stubborn. Hit it in the air.

We're a pushover for mediocre pitching.

It doesn't matter what the rest of the league is doing.

Manufacture runs. Make things happen.

And build chemistry. Rather than 4 simultaneous player
position switches just about every game. Pot luck!

Marte with a solo HR in the 6th and Avila with a solo HR
in the 8th. If D-backs management considers that success,
well, what can be said? Their approach produces nothing!

And their best hitter, Arenado, isn't even playing.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I like long rallies and manufactured runs too. It is more fun than watching a home run derby. But that is what the league has become. Record HRs again this year. Some people like that but I don't (old school, I guess). Based on low attendance, I am not the only one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like long rallies and manufactured runs too. It is more fun than watching a home run derby. But that is what the league has become. Record HRs again this year. Some people like that but I don't (old school, I guess). Based on low attendance, I am not the only one.

I consider myself old school too but I like the long ball. I'm with Earl Weaver, get a couple guys on base and take it deep. And I very much agree with him when he said (roughly) that "if you play for one run, that's all you'll get".

AZ Native

Reaction score
I consider myself old school too but I like the long ball. I'm with Earl Weaver, get a couple guys on base and take it deep. And I very much agree with him when he said (roughly) that "if you play for one run, that's all you'll get".
I agree with getting the guys on base and then take it deep. But EVERYONE is swinging for the fences and not trying to get on base. It is getting almost unwatchable.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree with getting the guys on base and then take it deep. But EVERYONE is swinging for the fences and not trying to get on base. It is getting almost unwatchable.
Yes. A merry-go-round puts pressure on the pitcher.

A solo HR is a rally killer. The pitcher gets to regroup
and start again.

Look at today's results. Two meaningless home runs
late in a game out of hand. That's the fact.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm not a fan of one run home runs either except when you know that 1 run will win you the game (also an Earl Weaver mis-quote).

Bob M

Reaction score
Yup. At least he is cheap enough he can be cut after the season if needed.
Leakes best years are long gone, not even worth a second look in 2020.
I truly believe the worst handicap the D-Backs have is there goody goody manager.
This guy refuses to believe (or admit) any of his players may a have flaw in their game. He heaps praise on the most mediocre players. Keeps thinking his team is "almost there".
His guys are family which just means they walk all over him and never get criticized. A lot of solid players but the underachievers are never addressed. And don't even get me started on their albatross of a pitching coach. He should been fired mid-season.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Leakes best years are long gone, not even worth a second look in 2020.
I truly believe the worst handicap the D-Backs have is there goody goody manager.
This guy refuses to believe (or admit) any of his players may a have flaw in their game. He heaps praise on the most mediocre players. Keeps thinking his team is "almost there".
His guys are family which just means they walk all over him and never get criticized. A lot of solid players but the underachievers are never addressed. And don't even get me started on their albatross of a pitching coach. He should been fired mid-season.
I fully agree and have been saying this about Lovullo. I'm sure the guy is a great human and probably really fool to be around. But a coach is not supposed to be your friend. He should be there to critique your flaws and help you improve on them. A coach is someone who is probably the most critical guy on the team. Lovullo never does this. A guy can go out and be terrible, and you hear him say something like "the guy didn't have his stuff today, but he's a solid pitcher and will improve next outing" it's the same revolving door. It's OK to blast players and make them step up. They are grown men who make solid money and if they can't handle criticism, them maybe they need to go look for jobs elsewhere, bunch of softies

AZ Native

Reaction score
You want him to blast his players to the press? Praise in public, criticize in private. Management 101.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You want him to blast his players to the press? Praise in public, criticize in private. Management 101.
You're right about in public. But none of us know what standards he's setting
in private.

The record and the favorites he sticks with indicate that it is not working.

Or my pet peeve, announcing to the Press that "the team" is more important
than developing young players. Just as Mike D'Antoni announced on his
breathless seven-seconds-or-less Suns. His glory faded.

Bringing up young players, especially starting pitchers, and taking them out of
their comfort zone to sit in the bullpen and wait to be brought in on short
notice, then sending them back down to the Minors, then up and down, has
not produced good results. It is devoid of the big picture.

The record speaks for itself. And it looks like it is getting worse by the day.

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood does not work in professional sports. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AZ Native

Reaction score
Do you have an obsession with Mr Rogers? :D I have stated many times that I do not know what goes on behind closed doors. But your reference to Mr Rogers makes it look like you think he is that way all the time. Again, we don't know. As far as the record, based on your prediction of 68 wins, he is exceeding even your expectations, so I agree, the record speaks for itself.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Do you have an obsession with Mr Rogers? :D I have stated many times that I do not know what goes on behind closed doors. But your reference to Mr Rogers makes it look like you think he is that way all the time. Again, we don't know. As far as the record, based on your prediction of 68 wins, he is exceeding even your expectations, so I agree, the record speaks for itself.
I am reacting to the latest trend -- the current situation. Do you not agree that it is headed downhill?

I was making fun by referring to Mr. Rogers. Based on various posters suggesting that Torey has been
trying to please everyone, but it really hasn't.

I am concerned with the many trips up and down from and to the Minors. Every promotion is a plus.
Therefore, every demotion is a minus. Lack of commitment.

I believe it has something to do with our downward trend. Pitchers and position players. I'm being
very specific! There is a drawback to over-managing when the players are pawns.

If that is part of today's baseball, I don't like it. The game is still dependent on people.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Our farm team has vastly improved so maybe they keep bringing up player (and sending them down) to see what we have. We a .500 team at best so why not? I think we both agree that we don't like a lot of the new baseball trends today. The drop in attendance says others agree. They are not going to change to game for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave