Nkemdiche Cut

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Something went wrong in the process.

The Cardinals went from a team that most moves worked, to the worst team in the league.

I still maintain that the Cardinals arent the worst team in the league. I'd still take their roster over quite a few teams. The have a top 5 corner, top 5 pass rusher, and a do it all back. They lack some weapons on offense but there is a good chance that will be fixed this year mostly. They secondary looks very promising on paper and has a good mix of veterans and young players. The ugly spot is still the offensive line, but it could be serviceable if the players have good health.

I think that the league caught up to Arians largely. The 13-3 year, everything worked, and the very next season it seemed like everyone knew when Arians was going to dial up a deep ball. After the 7-8-1 season, reportedly Keim wanted to go after McVay. If that was the case, Keim must have seen the writing on the wall that Arians had run his course.

This is a QB driven league, for whatever reason (and I have my opinion about Arians only caring about his tenure) we had no fallback plan after Palmer... we now have about as positive a start with a rookie QB as you can get

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Cardinals went from a team that most moves worked, to the worst team in the league.

I still maintain that the Cardinals arent the worst team in the league. I'd still take their roster over quite a few teams. The have a top 5 corner, top 5 pass rusher, and a do it all back. They lack some weapons on offense but there is a good chance that will be fixed this year mostly. They secondary looks very promising on paper and has a good mix of veterans and young players. The ugly spot is still the offensive line, but it could be serviceable if the players have good health.

I think that the league caught up to Arians largely. The 13-3 year, everything worked, and the very next season it seemed like everyone knew when Arians was going to dial up a deep ball. After the 7-8-1 season, reportedly Keim wanted to go after McVay. If that was the case, Keim must have seen the writing on the wall that Arians had run his course.
The process itself was the problem. BASK adopted a win now mindset. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you indeed win but they threw all their eggs into one basket to win in a short period of time and did nothing to shore up the team for the future. Even when the wheels were starting to come off they ignored QB and left the next regime nothing to work with. Even Keim's signings, as good as they were at times, were one and done signings. Not that it might have mattered with Wilks but he was left a stable of 3 legged horses to deal with. Vince Lombardi himself might have won 4 games with last year's team.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Miami has almost as many of Steve Keim’s first-round draft picks as Steve Keim has on his own roster

Signing Niche is a pretty clear indication to me that they are tanking big time! :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to believe players when they tell you what they are. When your process starts with expecting a player to be something he hasn't shown you can be, it is a recipe for disaster. Almost all of our misses under Keim have this in common.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I think the process involves a different dynamic:

At every point in the draft, you find a BPA list. A piece of that BPA rating is the upside vs. downside risk-factor. Sometimes the upside potential,is so high that you bypass more talented & "safer" prospects because the high-potential dude is so tempting. Sometimes you beat the odds/sometimes you bomb.

Some GM's are better at rolling those kinds of dice than others. SK has had more misses than hits. We have to hope that, with experience, his batting average will improve (but that's no lock).

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He couldn't stay out of the Scottsdale clubs, how in the hell is he going to stay out of the Miami ones?

3-5 days a week in the offseason, and almost that in-season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Hard Knocks last night and Brentson Buckner made several appearances on camera. At one point Buckner was talking about coaching great players and how much fun it is. Then he mention that there were those players that you actually had to "Coach" and what a pain that was. He basically said that when you have to coach a young player who never wants to grow up it really can be a pain in the rear.

I can only guess the player he was talking about was Nkemdiche.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Miami is doing a nice 2018 Cardinals impression

Yeah they are. I heard Flores being interviewed during TC and I was having Wilks flashbacks. He even came up with a gimmick like the bricks, I forgot what it was though. I couldn't help thinking about Rosen and what he must be thinking, if I'm thnking it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah they are. I heard Flores being interviewed during TC and I was having Wilks flashbacks. He even came up with a gimmick like the bricks, I forgot what it was though. I couldn't help thinking about Rosen and what he must be thinking, if I'm thnking it.

Flores is going to be the worst hire of the offseason.

Shades of Wilks. A defensive coordinator who coaches under a defensive mastermind. Similar to Wilks coaching under Rivera.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That jumped out to me, too. He said that "when you have guys you want to coach, it's great. When you have guys you have to coach..." :shakes head:

I think that Arians had a staff that was built to maximize veteran players, but struggled to develop unrefined young players.

Flores is going to be the worst hire of the offseason.

Shades of Wilks. A defensive coordinator who coaches under a defensive mastermind. Similar to Wilks coaching under Rivera.

Fun fact: Flores was never even a coordinator:

You must be registered for see images attach

He's Mike Singletary.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
That jumped out to me, too. He said that "when you have guys you want to coach, it's great. When you have guys you have to coach..." :shakes head:

I think that Arians had a staff that was built to maximize veteran players, but struggled to develop unrefined young players.

Fun fact: Flores was never even a coordinator:

He's Mike Singletary.
He's not listed as the D Coordinator last year for NE, but that was hit role per their fan base. IDK how many calls he made or if Bill made those, but he was the coach the other guys went to on defense.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This is actually the normal lifecycle of most teams. Up, then down, then up again.
The only outliers are teams that happen upon an HOF quarterback, and they stay relevant for the course of that player's productive career.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to run gassers pregame and could not complete run across field (53 1/3 yards) and all the way back.

My only shock is that he tried to run gassers. That takes effort.

What a ridiculous bust. Thanks, Keim.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does a pro athlete lack enough stamina to complete a gasser? I'm 46, less than 3 months removed from a fractured tibia and I think I could complete a gasser--I wouldn't be setting any records but I could run the whole time and not quit.
you have heart

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Wendell Bryant workout plan in full effect