VJ press conference

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just listened to it on the Cardinals mobile app. He was talking about the entire defense but what he said about the rush defense kind of shocked me. He said against the Raiders the Cardinals allowed 3.6 yds/carry & the best rush defense in the league last yr gave up 3.3. He didn't say who that team is & i didn't look it up. Also Said that the numbers were a little obscured because they gave up 91 yds rushing to the QB. News flash: the QB running is a rushing attempt & it counts in the stats as well, it has to be stopped the same as it does with a RB.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just listened to it on the Cardinals mobile app. He was talking about the entire defense but what he said about the rush defense kind of shocked me. He said against the Raiders the Cardinals allowed 3.6 yds/carry & the best rush defense in the league last yr gave up 3.3. He didn't say who that team is & i didn't look it up. Also Said that the numbers were a little obscured because they gave up 91 yds rushing to the QB. News flash: the QB running is a rushing attempt & it counts in the stats as well, it has to be stopped the same as it does with a RB.
Um , I agree. Stats are for losers. We were getting gashed for 6-7 yards a carry with the starters.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't buy his comparison because I would like him to tell how that average was when just our starters where in there getting gashed and not the second and third team averages to balance out the run defense deluge of the first string... and as you stated CFL, the QB counts as rushing yards too which are allowed for first downs and touchdowns, so why the distinction in QB rushing

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't buy his comparison because I would like him to tell how that average was when just our starters where in there getting gashed and not the second and third team averages to balance out the run defense deluge of the first string... and as you stated CFL, the QB counts as rushing yards too which are allowed for first downs and touchdowns, so why the distinction in QB rushing
Guess he averaged the whole game for stats. Even at 3.6 yds/carry, that's a first down after 3 rushing attempts lol. He needs to get their gap assignments fixed like quickly.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Guess he averaged the whole game for stats. Even at 3.6 yds/carry, that's a first down after 3 rushing attempts lol. He needs to get their gap assignments fixed like quickly.

Preseason is such unorthodox example of NFL game speed, with some guys holding back while you have a few trying to bawl to make the team which leads me to this... I do not endorse guys making late hits to injure someone but one would think in this static format at least a few guys would be called for a late hit if they where really playing at full energy and that is something I have not seen, yes seeing a late hit against the Vikings due to a guy being in overdrive would be refreshing lol

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
Vance is not a leader of men. He is someone that makes every once feel safe... gimmie bowles... gimmie a defense that says you aren't going to run on us. Vance will be one and done if he doesn't make his people play for him. I really wanted bowls back. I really wanted a defense that would run though a wall floor is coach... that I'd not Vance.... he is an articulate guy that got pushed forward.. much like wilks. And for all you naysayers. I think Bowles was the best defensive coach we ever had. I love a defensive team ... in every game... but I think we're could have something here....I am hopeful. Last Thursday ithink was gruden.... this sat I don't think will be much better.... but I hope to see them get a chance. I think the is a chance for magic. I think the old guard is already scared... even though wehave no line. I am more excited than rosen.. but obviously a loyal mfr... why else cards fan. I'm excited... and hope I get to be for Saturday... and a Ciuple games into the season. This is by first the best teams we're ever fielded...I only started in 90...I want denny pulling the drafts and arians running the show. I think bidwill is meddling which provided keim hid Job. Jr wants it at least and to his word has made an attempt since we're got the stadium. Sorry drinking

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Vance is not a leader of men. He is someone that makes every once feel safe... gimmie bowles... gimmie a defense that says you aren't going to run on us. Vance will be one and done if he doesn't make his people play for him. I really wanted bowls back. I really wanted a defense that would run though a wall floor is coach... that I'd not Vance.... he is an articulate guy that got pushed forward.. much like wilks. And for all you naysayers. I think Bowles was the best defensive coach we ever had. I love a defensive team ... in every game... but I think we're could have something here....I am hopeful. Last Thursday ithink was gruden.... this sat I don't think will be much better.... but I hope to see them get a chance. I think the is a chance for magic. I think the old guard is already scared... even though wehave no line. I am more excited than rosen.. but obviously a loyal mfr... why else cards fan. I'm excited... and hope I get to be for Saturday... and a Ciuple games into the season. This is by first the best teams we're ever fielded...I only started in 90...I want denny pulling the drafts and arians running the show. I think bidwill is meddling which provided keim hid Job. Jr wants it at least and to his word has made an attempt since we're got the stadium. Sorry drinking
I have a Tony the Tiger cereal bowl and mug

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, using the 2nd and 3rd stringers stats against the run to downplay the problem is very troubling. The starters must of gave up 6 yards a run, and that is all that really matters.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
On the other hand Josh Allen looked like the second coming of Kahlil Mack last night for Jacksonville. Granted Miami has as bad a oline as we have but he looked good in all phases of the game including coverage. If he continues to play as he did last night he will easily win not only Defensive ROY but overall ROY.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was starting to feel your drunkenness reading some of that lol. No way in hell we were getting Bowles as soon as BA took the Bucs job. I agree, Bowles was probably the best DC we've ever had. That being said, VJ better hope his defense fairs well this yr, otherwise they will give him the axe? Only thing that may save his job if they get blown up every game, the fact he was without both starting CB's for a good chunk of the season.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wow. that is disheartening to hear from head coach defense.
Absolutely puzzling to hear him kind of trying to throw the QB rushing yds out. It was like a 7 minute interview on the Cardinals mobile app I have. Hard to hear the questions from the press but the VJ answers are loud & clear.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the other hand Josh Allen looked like the second coming of Kahlil Mack last night for Jacksonville. Granted Miami has as bad a oline as we have but he looked good in all phases of the game including coverage. If he continues to play as he did last night he will easily win not only Defensive ROY but overall ROY.
Said on here all along Josh Allen was as good as Bosa, watched him for 4 yrs at Kentucky, I'm a season ticket holder. I know what he can do. Troy Aikman said last night he's playing at a pro bowl level right now, haven't heard that about Bosa yet lol. Allen can drop into coverage, watched him do it a lot, Bosa can't. Allen isn't injury prone, Bosa is & will be, probably fragile from all the steroids lol? Hasn't played a down yet for the 49ers, go figure.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't one of the Kentucky guys on here really push for Josh Allen? Maybe we should have drafted him first?
I'm glad we chose Murray, too talented to pass up considering our coach & the offense he runs. I said all along during the draft debates on here when lots of people were wanting Bosa, we should trade down & pick Josh Allen. I'm a Kentucky football season ticket holder, I've watched that kid play for 4 yrs, he can do so much more than Bosa & isn't injury prone. Josh Allen destroyed SEC OL's this past season & he doesn't really even have that many pass rushing moves. He's just fast & relentless at rushing the passer, strong as hell also. Gets good penetration into the backfield on running plays & can drop into coverage. When he develops more pass rushing moves, he will dominate.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allen and Quennin were my top picks but I am fine with having Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cap Capi has looked like Mack in the preseason...let's not start touting or burying peeps based on the preseason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave