OT: Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cam is arrogant, but most alpha athletes are. Cam is also a bit aloof to go along with it so it makes him look more arrogant than he really is.

That’s a good way to put it. I don’t think Cam realizes his own level of douche while Baker tries really hard to be hated. Cam’s version is less worse.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice research bojack. Props man.

However, if it's no big deal, how about they go sing their little song in the locker room then? Why do they have to make such a big deal about it?

That's our home turf. Our house. Nobody invited them to sing anything anywhere, so why don't they go back to Columbus?

I mean, I'm not trying to over-react here, but we asked them to come play a football game, not audition for "America's got talent".

I don't need to research it, I've seen it first hand plenty of times. Carmen has been a tradition for probably 100 years. At least since the Tressel era they do it at every away game, not just home. They sing it in front of the band, who plays the song, which is where the visiting fans congregate on away games. The band and fans would be hard to fit in the locker room.

I dont think anyone has ever said "who invited that visiting band here to play here and the gull to play their own songs?! Take that back to your home field!"

Again the whole reason Mayfield was a baby and acted like they all took turns taking a dump on the 50 yard line was because he lost. If they won he wouldn't have said a thing about it.

Columbus actually won by Mayfield going to the Browns. The ones who are Bengals and Steelers fans get to root against him and the ones who are Browns fans can find the silver lining when the Browns lose.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice research bojack. Props man.

However, if it's no big deal, how about they go sing their little song in the locker room then? Why do they have to make such a big deal about it?

That's our home turf. Our house. Nobody invited them to sing anything anywhere, so why don't they go back to Columbus?

I mean, I'm not trying to over-react here, but we asked them to come play a football game, not audition for "America's got talent".

BTW, if it weren't for your avatar I would assume your Baker defense was pure sarcasm. If it was, well played.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can easily name 10 more unlikable players than Cam.
I'd really like to see your list. Cam is a 30 yr old child who in front of the cameras couldn't man up and take responsibility or show an ounce of grace in the face of defeat.

Has Cam ever taken responsibility for not playing well or took one on the chin for his teammates like a true leader would? I've never heard it or read it if he has. He's too busy admiring and honoring himself.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Stat wise it isn't even close. Newton started 1 year in college and his numbers were above average at best(66% comp.%, 2,854 yards, 30 TD, 7 INT) compared to Mayfield's senior year(70.5 comp %, 4,627, 43 TD, 6 INT). Of course you're going to throw out the fact that Newton won a national championship but last I looked football is a team sport and it's glaringly obvious that Mayfield did his part. And if you want to compare rookie seasons their numbers are fairly similar with both winning 6 games but Mayfield helped a team that won zero games the previous season win 6 games. That counts for something. So to imply that Newton accomplished more would be intellectually dishonest.

did you really just call someone else's argument "intellectually dishonest" while completely ignoring the fact that Newton also RUSHED for 1400 yards and 20 TDs ON TOP of his 2800 yards and 30 TDs passing?! And, love the way you just brushed off Cam not only winning a Heisman, leading his team to an undefeated season AND a national title. And while you say "football is a team sport" you also completely ignore that the year prior to Cam's incredible season of 4300 total yards and 50 total TDs, Auburn was 8-5 before Cam and 9-3 after. They literally weren't even ranked at the end of both of the seasons post Cam and both of the season pre-cam. You know... as opposed to Oklahoma who had the exact same record the year following Mayfield's senior year and was regularly a top 10 program before Mayfield got there.

And the fact that Newton has led his team the playoffs multiple times AND A SUPER BOWL?! Whether Baker has only been in the league one year doesn't mean you can just take accomplishments AWAY from Cam.

Cam has a Heisman Trophy Winner, was the best player on the National Champion lifting up a program that wasn't good prior or after him for that five year stretch, broke rookie records for passing at the time he was a rookie, has been an NFL MVP, has won a Conference Title and made the Super Bowl.

Mayfield has matched him winning a Heisman Trophy... and that's it.

Making the argument that Baker has accomplished just as much isn't just intellectually dishonest. It's intellectually bankrupt to the point of pure idiocy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever guy. If I say the sky is blue you'd answer that. Look, genius, there isn't a large enough sample size to compare the 2. Mayfield is coming off of his rookie year. Newton's going into his 9th season so of course he's accomplished more in the NFL. But the statement was that Newton accomplished more including college and that simply is false. I'd love to hear someone argue it because looking at Mayfield's body of work in college, Newton couldn't carry his jock.

1 season, 4300 total yards of offense, 50 total TDs, Heisman Trophy, National Championship, lifting a team that ended the season unranked the two years prior to Cam and unranked at the end of the season the two years after Cam spits in your arguments mouth, then pisses in it's eyes.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there anyone who thinks the Browns will not be as advertised? I just keep seeing all these talking heads with them late in the play offs and some even the Super Bowl, I don't know I mean it's the Browns...they always seem to mess things up lol kinda like Keim and the O-line

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if the Browns go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7...They aren’t going to catch anyone off guard this year. They look great on paper, now it’s time to prove it.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd really like to see your list. Cam is a 30 yr old child who in front of the cameras couldn't man up and take responsibility or show an ounce of grace in the face of defeat.

Has Cam ever taken responsibility for not playing well or took one on the chin for his teammates like a true leader would? I've never heard it or read it if he has. He's too busy admiring and honoring himself.
Vontaze Burfict
Baker Mayfield
Ben Roethlisberger
Antonio Brown
Tyreek Hill
Michael Bennett
Ndamukong Suh
Jameis Winston
Clay Matthews
Marcus Peters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-...action-failed-two-point-conversion-124950947/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...n-not-happy-with-himself-after-panthers-loss/

it took me all of ten seconds to find these. I'm sure there are more, but considering how easy they were to find, I don't really need to waste any more time tracking them down.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think both are great QBs and immense jackasses... but their job is to win football games and why they would get any attention in the first place :)

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think both are great QBs and immense jackasses... but their job is to win football games and why they would get any attention in the first place :)

Right
And to be honestly Mayfield just say the truth
Jones was a huge reach at six, is not about being a douche is about not being hypocrite

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, pardon me for not having a sense of humor with my mother dying and all. This whole ******* board is filled with a bunch of know it all ********. You all can kiss my ass.

My condolences to you and your family. For what it's worth, I'd take Mayfield over Newton every day of the week & twice on Sundays.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
BTW, if it weren't for your avatar I would assume your Baker defense was pure sarcasm. If it was, well played.

Eh. I'm really giving the company line here, and I understand it's not a great spot, because Mayfield's act was significantly more provocative.

I now understand that the song they sing is not a "fight song", and that they do it home or away, win or lose. I appreciate you educating me about this OSU tradition.

However, here's a quote from Mayfield...

“Part of it was [what happened] last year. It was embarrassing for them to sing their fight song on our field. They’re probably feeling the same way right now.”

So while you portray OSU's behavior as completely innocent. That's not how it was perceived.

Bojack, maybe I'm a jerk, but if OSU just kicked my team's @ss on our home field, my preference would be for them to go get on their bus, and leave.

While still stinging from defeat, I would view any type of celebration on our field, no matter the tradition, as offensive. If you don't agree, fine, but I hope you still see my point of view as reasonable.

And I'm not saying the Buckeye's are a bunch of monsters, punks, or thugs. It's just that its not 1938 anymore, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the discussion, and I'll give you the last word if you'd like it sir.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Everything I've read stated Carmen is sung after home games, win or lose. Not away games.

I see why Baker was annoyed.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
whoa, whoa, whoa Cardsfaninklouky..

Do you know what Baker did the flag plant thing at OSU? Maybe you should before you pass judgement sir...
I understand your loyalty to BM due to him playing for your sooners, trust me I totally get that part, I'm very partial/loyal to my Kentucky Wildcat alums. He may have had a reason to do that but it's kind of childish imo, Kentucky or Oklahoma player doing that. Kind of like stomping on a logo at midfield or midcourt. Just need to not do that & let things go. BM is constantly saying something about everything it seems & that rubs me the wrong way, he hasn't reached "punk" status with me or anything yet but he should just shut up & play. Same with CN, I wanted to throw stuff at the tv every single time he did that stupid superman ripping his shirt thing. Be more like #11 on our team & just hand the ball back to the ref or spike it should be good enough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose