OT: Dak turns down $30 mm wants $40 mm

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Performance: Prescott. You can't perform when not on the field and Wentz has missed 40% of his games the last few years.

Talent: Wentz but it is surprisingly close. Since Wentz is hurt all the time you have to use game averages to compare them. Prescott has a better completion percentage and a much lower INT percentage. Wentz throws for 17 more yards per game and has a higher TD percentage. Prescott has a 5 higher career QBR due to his efficiency.

I probably have some anti Cowboy bias in my pick of Wentz as well.

That said, these guys should make the same money. Adding two years of QB inflation to Wentz's existing contract and you are at 36 - 38 million

Look at Daks numbers WO Zeke.

He has struggled mightily. That's one of the unsaid sticking points, Dak hasn't been nearly as effective without an elite running game. Most QBs player pretty well when they have a hall of fame caliber back at running behind a hall of fame caliber offensive line.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Even if they only tag him once he will make tag level money on another deal.

I added to my above post to explain that the guaranteed money in your proposed deal washes after 1 year.

Looking at it all, the only way I could see them getting him signed for 30 million is 3 years fully guaranteed with a mutual option year 4.

This avoids the pain of the multi tag, gets him his guaranteed money, ensures no one gets burned year 4, and then encourages another contract at the age 29 year he would have gotten option 2.
but this year he is only making 2 million bucks..... the tag does not even come into play until next season.

he is foolish to risk playing for 2 million when 30 million is on the table.
especially considering he is only a $22million QB

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at Daks numbers WO Zeke.

He has struggled mightily. That's one of the unsaid sticking points, Dak hasn't been nearly as effective without an elite running game. Most QBs player pretty well when they have a hall of fame caliber back at running behind a hall of fame caliber offensive line.
He was dreadful during Elliot's suspension except for 1 game. As I said above, he threw 5 TD's in that stretch and 3 were in 1 game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Eagles are absolutely gambling on Wentz playing better and staying healthy.

I'd say its 50-50 on whether he will be worth it.

But the alternative is dreadful; we've seen QB hell for years, and 50-50 odds are better than the odds that the Eagles find and equal or better QB in the next few years. Better to go with the devil you know.

The Cowboys have a huge conundrum since all three players want to get PAID. They cant pay all three will also keeping that OL and signing good supporting players. Jaylon Smith will be due soon too. It's the price of success.

What's the best path? Signing Dak and Cooper. Dak to top five deal and Cooper to a top five deal. Trade Zeke after the season and draft a good young stud RB.

I know this contradicts what I stated above to a slight degree, but my thinking is that we KNOW Dak is really reliant on the running game, but finding a solid to good RB isnt that hard. Finding a QB that even approaches Dak level is tough and receivers like Cooper can be hard to find as well.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's crazy how these big contracts eat up a salary cap. At $40mil that would be approaching 25% of the cap to one player. Brady only takes $15mil. He's getting short changed in comparison to the rest of the league, but he also gets the benefit of having players around him that can keep him upright and healthy and help him break records and win championships. Hard to put a price on that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion - Dallas should trade Elliot, play the franchise tag game with Dak and Re-sign cooper.

Its actually statistically the smartest bet.

Cooper will probably be the cheapest of the three so sign him long term. Dak is an ok QB with a good supporting cast. Keep him until he gets expensive, and then find the real franchise guy on a rookie deal three to four years from now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all I don't believe that Dak ever asked for $40M. I think that is someone trying to stir the pot. My guess is he is shooting for the $33M range.

With that said the Cowboys are in a lose, lose situation here. Dak is an average QB at best. However to keep him the Cowboys are going to most likely have to pay him in the $32M plus range per year.

Zeke is a solid RB but he is a typical OSU head case. He will want to be the highest paid RB in the league where RBs are no longer a hot commodity.

Cooper will also want to be paid like a top 5 WR. However It's not like Cooper has lit up the league. He has never had more that 7 TDs in a season. He has been maybe a top 20 Receiver but no where close to top 5. Still the Cowboys are so desperate for WR help he looks like a future HOF to them.

So if the Cowboys don't sign these guys they are back to the drawing board on offense. If they do sign these guys they will be hurting cap wise and stuck in mediocre land for years with maybe a few one and done playoff appearances.

Either way I'm loving every minute of it. Suck it Cowboys!!!