About those false starts

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former NFL VP of Officiating and current rules analyst on FOX, Mike Pereira, on Doug and Wolf this morning:

"I didn't see what Cheffers said he (Murray) was doing."

I don't think we'll see this called during the season. "Officials are just making a point of emphasis in the preseason"

On whether clapping is allowed, "as long as its rhythmic, clapping is allowed... it's like lifting the leg".

And, what was included in my article yesterday, another former NFL VP of Officiating, Dean Blandino, tweeted: "There is no prohibition against clapping. You just can't do anything abrupt to try and draw the defense offside. The action has to be smooth and deliberate. They are calling it very tight on him (Murray). I didn't think what he was doing was abrupt.

So there we have it.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is all on Gruden being an absolute douchebag and complaining to the league and getting in Jeffers ear. The piece of the Janeis Winston interview they played on the show after this with Gruden absolutely whining like a little bitch about the snap clap is a telltale sign.

Related: Lamarcus Joyner didn’t come up with “pretty boy football” that absolutely came from Gruden’s little insecure mouth. I absolutely cannot stand that hack.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah watching the plays back where they called the false starts I just can't see where Kyler was abrupt or jerking his head to simulate a start as the Ref claimed he was. He actually was very smooth with his clap and his body was motionless minus the clap part.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah watching the plays back where they called the false starts I just can't see where Kyler was abrupt or jerking his head to simulate a start as the Ref claimed he was. He actually was very smooth with his clap and his body was motionless minus the clap part.

Yep I have watched the replay a few times. The officials were just hyper aggressive against the Cardinals early. No idea why

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Still don't know how that clap is gonna work in Seattle with all that noise

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still don't know how that clap is gonna work in Seattle with all that noise

It's actually the main reason for using the clap cadence. The clap can still be heard through the loudest crowd noise.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/university-of-washington/article36500640.html

The reason for doing it this way, Petersen said, is simple: Everyone on offense can hear it, regardless of how loud the stadium might be.

Petersen first noticed this when he was coaching at Boise State and a visiting opponent used a clap cadence instead of a silent or verbal count.

The sound cut through the din of a noisy, sellout crowd, loud enough for Petersen to hear it on the sideline.

“We did different snap counts,” Petersen said. “We’ve been through the gamut. And so they kind of all work, so (whatever) what you think works best for you. And playing in some loud stadiums, it’s amazing — they can get really loud, and guys can still usually hear that clap.”

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
This is all on Gruden being an absolute douchebag and complaining to the league and getting in Jeffers ear. The piece of the Janeis Winston interview they played on the show after this with Gruden absolutely whining like a little bitch about the snap clap is a telltale sign.

Related: Lamarcus Joyner didn’t come up with “pretty boy football” that absolutely came from Gruden’s little insecure mouth. I absolutely cannot stand that hack.

Cant stand Gruden. That guy is a puss and a dick at the same time.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
8/20/19, 11:22 AM
Kliff Kingsbury on how ref Walt Anderson, the former Big 12 coordinator of officials from 2006-2018 who he's worked with and who'll officiate Saturday's game, can be a resource in figuring out Kyler Murray's clap snap: "I'm interested in our pregame conversation."

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Someone has yet to explain to me how in college (I realize the rules are different) the entire line, receivers, and backfield can settle and set in their stance and the uniformly come up and look at the sideline for the play adjustment and reset...and if a defender makes contact he is encroaching

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former NFL VP of Officiating and current rules analyst on FOX, Mike Pereira, on Doug and Wolf this morning:

"I didn't see what Cheffers said he (Murray) was doing."

I don't think we'll see this called during the season. "Officials are just making a point of emphasis in the preseason"

On whether clapping is allowed, "as long as its rhythmic, clapping is allowed... it's like lifting the leg".

And, what was included in my article yesterday, another former NFL VP of Officiating, Dean Blandino, tweeted: "There is no prohibition against clapping. You just can't do anything abrupt to try and draw the defense offside. The action has to be smooth and deliberate. They are calling it very tight on him (Murray). I didn't think what he was doing was abrupt.

So there we have it.

That's sort of what I was expecting you could see KK arguing with the ref on the sideline and making the motion with his hands clearly saying this is what he's doing what's wrong with that. It seemed to be really bugging Kyler. So I hope they clear it up before the games are real.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose