OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mr Bean is the perfect description for James Jones.

What he does is head scratching but in the end it all works out despite himself.

Heck he can keep being Mr Bean for a decade if it ends up working out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Mr Bean is the perfect description for James Jones.

What he does is head scratching but in the end it all works out despite himself.

Heck he can keep being Mr Bean for a decade if it ends up working out.
I think that's way off base, but what do I know?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely when you are saying we have no interest in Russell because of the fit of a poor passing, ball dominant guard

And then make poor passing AND shooting ball dominant Rozier as your top target.

It makes no sense.

Exactly. Look, I think Rubio was a good signing but the reasoning behind Rozier after saying zero interest in Russell is a ton of ammunition to question judgement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How do you know we offered him 15+ a year? Here's what we know:

1) We liked Rubio -- whether you agree with that is another topic. We were told he was going to Indiana.
2) Indiana was going to get Rubio and by all accounts, Rubio agreed.
3) Brogdan became available and Indiana reached out and got him, nullifying whatever verbal agreement they had with Rubio.
4) Because we thought Rubio was going to Indiana, we shifted to Rozier. No money has been mentioned in any report.
5) Rozier thought he was going to the Knicks, and then got a better offer from us. There's no word what we offered, nor what NY was willing to pay.
6) Charlotte came calling and Rozier got more than he probably would have gotten from us or NY.
7) Since Indy went with Rubio, we jumped on him, and he was our preference over Rozier in the first place.

These are all facts as we know them, and the ONLY numbers that are known at this point are what we paid Rubio and what Charlotte is paying Rozier.

Without more concrete facts, I just don't understand how James Jones is the bad guy, or at worst the idiot, in all these scenarios.
Uh, I don’t think we know the timing, as you played it out, as a fact. Jones just as easily could’ve offered rozier more and first because he preferred him to Rubio and Charlotte signing him meant we had to turn to Rubio who luckily became available.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe I will bump this thread when Rozier leads the Hornets to the playoffs. Or someone can bump it if he stinks it up worse then Rubio

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I will bump this thread when Rozier leads the Hornets to the playoffs. Or someone can bump it if he stinks it up worse then Rubio

If Kemba couldn't get them to the playoffs last year then Rozier won't this year. Kemba > Rozier

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That was the problem it was all Kemba. Maybe this year one of the young kids and a few of the Vets will help

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you read that. I never saw that anywhere.

I've stayed out of this conversation until now because I can't remember where I read it either? I had assumed it was a conversation here but since so many of you are contesting Chap's timeline, I'm not so sure of the source. I don't even remember if it was more speculation than reporting but I do recall it being said that we moved off of Rubio because he wasn't going to be available for us.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've stayed out of this conversation until now because I can't remember where I read it either? I had assumed it was a conversation here but since so many of you are contesting Chap's timeline, I'm not so sure of the source. I don't even remember if it was more speculation than reporting but I do recall it being said that we moved off of Rubio because he wasn't going to be available for us.
That might be. But it doesn’t mean he was the first choice over rozier. I’d suspect a good gm has lines of communication open with multiple pgs at the same time so he has options as dominoes fall. I’m not saying rozier was #1 option. I’m saying I don’t think we know which was #1 option.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article makes it sound like rubies first choice was Indiana and the suns first choice was rozier but both fell through and thus the suns-Rubio marriage was a serendipitous fallback for both.

Actually I thought the "reporter" went both ways on this subject but regardless, on this aspect alone, he was clearly speculating.

Okay, so not a ringing endorsement on Rubio picking Phoenix. He wanted Indiana first.

And not a ringing endorsement on the Suns picking Rubio. They wanted Rozier first, or at least had turned to Rozier when Rubio had a verbal agreement with Indiana.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That article makes it sound like rubies first choice was Indiana and the suns first choice was rozier but both fell through and thus the suns-Rubio marriage was a serendipitous fallback for both.
That was my take on it also. It also makes the most sense given the way things fell out. I prefer not to believe someone is a total dolt unless the evidence is nearly irrefutable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that's the way it happened.

Of course the Suns were after Dillon Brooks instead of Oubre in the trade last season.

Hopefully James Jones has a healthy dose of luck on his side while he learns the GM job.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's the way it happened.

Of course the Suns were after Dillon Brooks instead of Oubre in the trade last season.

Hopefully James Jones has a healthy dose of luck on his side while he learns the GM job.

I think he's proven that luck is on his side thus far. I hope his luck doesn't run out before he learns to do his job better.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Rozier leading the Hornets make us eat crow? Entirely different team. I will eat crow if Rubio completly flops on the Suns.

Because I think he is terrible and the Hornets got worse

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I think he is terrible and the Hornets got worse

I was always very much against trading for Rozier because his rumored contract demands were too high and Ainge reportedly expected real value for him. But, as a FA? I'd have taken a chance on him even if it meant a slight overpay. I was thinking maybe 12 per would be a reasonable deal so obviously I wouldn't have gone the Charlotte route but I'm not entirely positive it will backfire on them. I think it will be a bad contract for them but he showed glimpses of being pretty good and right now we just don't know how much it impacted him forced to play in that system and being relegated to backup duty.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't have my PG be a poor shooter and be poor at passing.

We consider Rubio a terrible shooter and he has topped 40% the last 3 years. Rozier has never done it.