Should we draft a new RB?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty sure the contract we have with him makes it hard to do much with him other than keep him. Silly Kiem as usual giving a big contract to guy a coming off an injury before playing a single game after having 1 great year. He did this with TM too.

Kiem is always overpaying and scared to lose a player in free agency instead of seeing how things shake out. Quality teams give big contracts to bellwether players. Kiem hands them out like he's prospecting.

How many times have you seen a no name RB step in behind a stud starter who gets injured and is comparable or sometimes even better, quite often. That is usually because the success of the RB is linked closer to the quality of the players around him, more than WRs. Point is serviceable RBs who rarely see a snap until the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: Kai

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Look, you are really bad on Keim.

LG - Cooper looked great till his injurie and is still in the league, probably not a ProBowler, but probably servicable, proably better then what we have now.
LT - Valdeheer was great in his first years, got worse and worse.
RT - Massie was great, he was paid by chicago way more than we wanted to spend for a RT
C - Cole looked like a rookie last year but he got better at the end of the year maybe not a lost cause
LG - Mike Iupati was good in his first two years till his body broke down on him

He brought in another 10 O-line players and drafted at least 5 more. So from my perspective, he did quite well on some point, but it isn't always easy to get 5 pro bowler on the o-line

Hopefully he finds another one but I'm not confident that we will see someone this year. Next year should be O-line improvement and maybe in a later round a young dynamic RB, but still, first the O-line, D-line and RB is already set for two years after that, we will see.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve ever used the RBs we have - you have to commit to the run - last 2 ha came from best run games in the nfl and got pass happy - now we got pass happy and hope he runs more! Damn it 8m tired of losing with talent because they have not got the sense to establish and committed to a run game like champions do - freaking stupid

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
Let's be totally honest. O line remains ineffective. But by the same token David Johnson isn't near the RB he was in 2016. That was obvious last year when despite the O line problems DJ went down on the first hint of contact . For whatever reason he is not the same. Any objective observer can see that. While it will never happen I would trade him right now for a Joe Thomas quality O lineman. Of course there aren't any of those around and even if they were no GM in his right mind would trade that type of player for DJ. I do think we should give DJ a try this year but in the absence of a complete transformation we need to find a new starting RB next off season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's be totally honest. O line remains ineffective. But by the same token David Johnson isn't near the RB he was in 2016. That was obvious last year when despite the O line problems DJ went down on the first hint of contact . For whatever reason he is not the same. Any objective observer can see that. While it will never happen I would trade him right now for a Joe Thomas quality O lineman. Of course there aren't any of those around and even if they were no GM in his right mind would trade that type of player for DJ. I do think we should give DJ a try this year but in the absence of a complete transformation we need to find a new starting RB next off season.

I couldn't disagree more. DJ was stuck in one of the worst offenses that I have ever seen last year. Teams were not scared of Bradford or Rosen beating them with the pass and they sold out on stopping DJ.

DJ still made plays out of nothing. Here against the Bears he beat 3 defenders and made them look like fools:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...multiple-Bears-defenders-on-way-to-first-down

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
I am thinking keep Drake but don’t want to pay him too much. Maybe a really low pick on a change of pace bruiser.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Need to fix the defense (safeties and linebackers). Possession receiver is a need if Larry retires. But David Johnson is making a lot of money. Very irritating

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Why not draft a souvenir and set it on the shelf, do as much good as a new running back - this offense is running back haters - got a pass game coordinator - no offensive coordinator or running back coordinator - just shove it way down deep -

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Wasn’t it just last week that Drake was the new OJ? I’m glad still waiting to see a replay of a RB missing a hole and running into a tackle. This is on the O-line. Drake is just more proof. He didn’t forget how to hit a hole in one week. There are no holes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose