The Boys (Amazon)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't a thread for this already, at least I couldn't find one when I searched.

The Boys is based on a Garth Ennis comic series from 2006. Ennis is best known in the comic world for writing the Punisher for about a decade in the early 2000's. He wrote a lot of the definitive Punisher stories and also helped usher in Marvel MAX, which is an uncensored sort of imprint of Marvel comics that is geared towards adults and features swearing, sex, and much more violent imagery. In addition to The Punisher, Ennis also wrote Preacher, which was developed by Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg for AMC.

With The Boys being on Amazon, they don't need to deal with censorship or sponsors like Preacher so they can go with a more accurate adaptation of the adult content featured in the series. Amazon has already announced that it's been picked up for season 2.

Here's a brief synopsis...

The Boys is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about The Seven, and Vought – the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes and covers up all of their dirty secrets. The Boys are Hughie (Jack Quaid, The Hunger Games), Billy Butcher (Karl Urban, Star Trek), Mother’s Milk (Laz Alonso, Detroit), Frenchie (Tomer Capon, Hostages), and The Female (Karen Fukuhara, Suicide Squad). Simon Pegg (Mission: Impossible – Fallout) guest stars as Hughie’s father.”

Production values are top notch and it's available to stream in 4K through Amazon Prime's video service. It's definitely an R-rated series that is more Deadpool than Avengers but it's also pretty dark. It's probably closest to Brightburn, but I haven't seen that. I've only read reviews how that's a "If Superman was evil" story and this isn't quite that straight forward but it's similar to that.

I've only caught the first 2 episodes but have really enjoyed it so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In on episode 5.
This is really dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost finished with the first season. I wish we knew when season 2 was coming out because I've slowed down watching season 1 just to stretch it out longer.

It feels like a cross between Deadpool and the Watchmen so far, but it's not really trying to be either of those. It does seem to be it's own thing, which is good. There are way too many superhero films and tv shows right now that for a show like this to stand out it needs to be it's own thing. It is a dark and cynical but it doesn't feel like it's going out of it's way to be dark or cynical just to be edgy either. It's hard to describe it but I haven't enjoyed a new series like this in years.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
Love this show and the comic. Fantastic performances by Karl Urban, Antony Starr who plays Homelander and Elizabeth Shue. I forgot his first name but Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s son who plays Hughie was fantastic as well.

I think it’s actually better than the comic, really well directed and shot.

I did read Amazon deleted a scene that would have been hilarious. I won’t post the details here but you can google it. It was perfect for this character.

Which leads me to what else would they take out? If you think what you’ve seen so far is crazy, you haven’t seen anything yet.

If you guys wanna check out the graphic novels, they are free if you have Kindle unlimited and if not they have a free three month trial.

A cool Easter egg from the books is that Hughie was drawn to look like Simon Pegg and years he’s casted to be Hughie dad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this show and the comic. Fantastic performances by Karl Urban, Anthony Starr who plays Homelander and Elizabeth Shue. I forgot his first name but Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan’s son who plays Hughie was fantastic as well.

I think it’s actually better than the comic, really well directed and shot.

I did read Amazon deleted a scene that would have been hilarious. I won’t post the details here but you can google it. It was perfect for this character.

Which leads me to what else would they take out? If you think what you’ve seen so far is crazy, you haven’t seen anything yet.

If you guys wanna check out the graphic novels, they are free if you have Kindle unlimited and if not they have a free three month trial.

A cool Easter egg from the books is that Hughie was drawn to look like Simon Pegg and years he’s casted to be Hughie dad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The showrunner for The Boys did an AMA on Reddit and answered a ton of questions. That's where he revealed the deleted scene. He spoke very highly of Amazon and their involvement, or lack of involvement, so I wouldn't worry about them forcing changes onto them.

You can check out the interview here, worth a look. Hopefully you're familiar with Reddit so it's easier to read because it can appear to be a mess if you don't know how that site works. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good recap of it or I would have posted that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The showrunner for The Boys did an AMA on Reddit and answered a ton of questions. That's where he revealed the deleted scene. He spoke very highly of Amazon and their involvement, or lack of involvement, so I wouldn't worry about them forcing changes onto them.

You can check out the interview here, worth a look. Hopefully you're familiar with Reddit so it's easier to read because it can appear to be a mess if you don't know how that site works. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good recap of it or I would have posted that.
He's not just the showrunner, he's Eric Kripke, creator of Supernatural and Timeless.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The comic was over-the-top, and not in a good way. I enjoyed this more, and the change to the backstory was fascinating.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This has been an awesome show. Love the concept of supers being marketed and exploited. I'm on the 3rd episode.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
took me a good three episodes to really get invested, but once that happened, i really enjoyed the show. Homelander is just a great villain.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sat down and said id give the first episode a watch and ended up watching 5. I would have probably watched the whole season last night if I didnt get invited to go out around 5pm.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I finished it last night.
Definitely will be watching season 2.
Homelander is a great villain.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope they stretch future seasons out to 10 episodes, at least. I thought season 1 was 10 episodes and was bummed when it finished at 8, not just because of how that episode ended but I really would have liked 2 more hours. I guess it's better that they left people wanting more rather than feeling drawn out.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Apparently that's a deleted scene from season 1 and not a true teaser for season 2. I thought it'd be really early for a teaser since season 1 dropped in July but streaming services don't do things like regular broadcast television.

I did like the scene but I wouldn't let the "coming soon" get anyone's hopes up.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Apparently that's a deleted scene from season 1 and not a true teaser for season 2. I thought it'd be really early for a teaser since season 1 dropped in July but streaming services don't do things like regular broadcast television.

I did like the scene but I wouldn't let the "coming soon" get anyone's hopes up.

My YT source might not be an official source, but Amazon and/or the Production behind this DID release the above as an official teaser for Season 2.

http://collider.com/the-boys-season-2-premiere-details/

While speaking to Rogen and Goldberg for Good Boys, Collider’s Steve Weintraub asked the duo what to expect from The Boys season 2. Apparently, the filmmakers have already seen the premiere.

So yeah, soon.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My YT source might not be an official source, but Amazon and/or the Production behind this DID release the above as an official teaser for Season 2.

http://collider.com/the-boys-season-2-premiere-details/

So yeah, soon.

It's been confirmed for a while that season 2 was greenlit and being shot before season 1 hit Amazon. That doesn't mean it's ready to air yet, even if one of the producers said they've seen episode 1. Was that a complete episode with all of the special FX already? I doubt it, that's way too quick of a turn around. That article doesn't say anything about that video though or that we'll be getting season "soon".

If you search for info on when season 2 will premiere there isn't anything that says it will come before the year is over, which is what "soon" should imply. Almost all sources out there say it'll come in the early summer next year.

Here's a piece from Digital Spy that says next summer, which is more in line with how other shows are released. It would be very unusual to get season 2 out so soon after season 1.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/...ason-2-release-date-cast-plot-amazon-trailer/

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
It's been confirmed for a while that season 2 was greenlit and being shot before season 1 hit Amazon. That doesn't mean it's ready to air yet, even if one of the producers said they've seen episode 1. Was that a complete episode with all of the special FX already? I doubt it, that's way too quick of a turn around. That article doesn't say anything about that video though or that we'll be getting season "soon".

If you search for info on when season 2 will premiere there isn't anything that says it will come before the year is over, which is what "soon" should imply. Almost all sources out there say it'll come in the early summer next year.

Here's a piece from Digital Spy that says next summer, which is more in line with how other shows are released. It would be very unusual to get season 2 out so soon after season 1.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/...ason-2-release-date-cast-plot-amazon-trailer/

People define "soon" relatively. From YOUR link:

The Boys are back in town (or soon will be).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Isn’t there an Evil Superman comic book?

Homelander is way better than evil.

He’s a sociopath.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I finished this in two days. One early saturday watching 5 in a row and then watching the final 3 last night. Absolutely loved it. Fun, violent, sexy, everything.

The final episode, the interactions between homelander and the Vought CEO chick, super super creepy. Loved it.

No idea where it turns with Butcher right now. Seems like Homelander is purposely trolling him at the end.

Starlight is omg dreamy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose