15 thoughts - Raiders game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Horrible news about Robert Alford, especially after his difficult season last year. I feel bad for him. In an on-the-field perspective I don’t really know what to do. I think they had very few cornerbacks on the field most of the time last season (but don’t hang me up on it), and instead used a lot of safeties, so maybe they add a safety where the selection field in free agency is probably a bit better? For many reasons, I think Eric Berry is interesting.

2 – Man, did the 1st defense get abused? And it was not just one unit. It was a very collective performance in the fine art of humiliation.

3 – The starting offensive line was certainly bad, and thus it is hard to point out one single player as the worst, but non the less I will give my vote to Humphries.

However, I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Continuity and cohesiveness is extremely important to every unit, but especially at the offensive line it is essential. The five projected starters has not even played together yet, so I think there is pretty significant chances for improved play later on. I trust offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

To me, the more pressing problem is the lack of viable backups. I would like them to bring back offensive tackle Joe Barksdale. He is still a free agent though I thought he played well last season. I mean, is William Sweet keeping him of the roster? Is Rees Odhiambo? Come on…

4 – Chad Williams sighting!

5 – I liked the 2nd team defensive line much better than the 1st team. Terrell McClain did well, Michael Dogbe did well, Sterling Bailey did well. Don’t know if I would trust them in a rotation against the best opponents, but I do think they have potential.

6 – Some analysts and people in the business think that it won’t take more than a second round pick to trade for edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney. If so, do it immediately! Understand what Clowney is; he is an edge defender, but he is by far best when rushing inside between the tackle and the guard, and he has even lined up at defensive tackle from time to time. Clowney is probably the best run stopping edge defender in the NFL. He would immediately improve the run defense.

Also, with Alford out the Cards obviously has massive problems in the secondary, and one way to hide that a bit is with dominant play up in the trenches.

Oh, and sign defensive tackle Corey Liuget who has just visited as well!

7 – Anybody else think wide receiver coach David Raih looks a little like Jon Gruden?

8 – Of all the players, I think rookie offensive lineman Lamont Gaillard was the most impressive to me. First at guard, and even better at center. Had he done that against 1st team players, we would all be singing his praise.

And while on the topic of rookie interior offensive linemen, I really liked how Patrick Lawrence played at center late in the fourth quarter.

9 – I had (and to some degree still have) high hopes for wide receiver Kevin White, but as Bruce Arians used to say: you can’t make the club from the tub. I am really frustrated about his development.

10 – A little detail about Kyler Murray is how he is really good at “rolling the right way” when he goes down to avoid hits by opposing players. I think it is very important in terms of longevity.

11 – Seems like Kingsbury try to get tight end Maxx Williams a lot of playing time – even before Ricky Seals-Jones. And it seems like rookie tight end Caleb Wilson is stepping up a bit. Would be great.

12 – It is fun to see a preseason stud like second year player Pete Robertson. Maybe it won’t lead to anything for him, but he sure does his best to take advantage of the opportunity.

13 – It is not just Kingsbury and Vance Joseph that has work to do. Jeff Rodgers certainly does too after that horrible special teams blocking.

14 – Once again I was impressed by linebacker Zeke Turner. I really think he has already supplanted Dennis Gardeck, and if Reddick don’t come back on a high level, I think Turner will be above him on the depth chart as well.

15 – Calm down. Many teams are significantly different from preseason to regular season. Get the mistakes out of the system now.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's still unclear whether each problem involves our guys being outmatched physically or whether things can be fixed with solid coaching.

If a problem stems from talent-deficit, look for a high degree of player-turnover,

If, instead, it's due to poor fundamentals, performing effectively within the defensive scheme etc., there still may be hope. (I can't get out of my mind the image of Sigler shooting up the A-gap into the backfield and overrunning the play to let the ballcarrier escape for still another 1st down - Can he be taught to protect his lane and contain the runner)?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's still unclear whether each problem involves our guys being outmatched physically or whether things can be fixed with solid coaching.

If a problem stems from talent-deficit, look for a high degree of player-turnover,

If, instead, it's due to poor fundamentals, performing effectively within the defensive scheme etc., there still may be hope. (I can't get out of my mind the image of Sigler shooting up the A-gap into the backfield and overrunning the play to let the ballcarrier escape for still another 1st down - Can he be taught to protect his lane and contain the runner)?

Jeff, at the end of the game Fitzgerald got interviewed, and he basically shrugs his shoulder when saying that they had not shown anything on offense, and though I think they might have shown a little more on defense, I guess it was not much.

Since there is no game planning or creative play calling, I thought Booger McFarland put it the best that preseason are all about one-on-ones, and that is why it is so important to the young guys. We all know that Larry Fitzgerald can beat his man, and that Budda Baker can cover, so there is no need for those guys to play. Anyway, my point is that I think your example with Sigler is a case of a young guy trying too hard to beat his man and make a play, and therefore he ended up making a big mistake. I do not thing that is due to poor fundamentals. I think it is just a player not being good enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 – I had (and to some degree still have) high hopes for wide receiver Kevin White, but as Bruce Arians used to say: you can’t make the club from the tub. I am really frustrated about his development.

why would you have any hopes for White, much less high hopes, for a guy who literally has NEVER been able to stay healthy in any way shape or form?

this feels like being really disappointed you didn't win the lottery.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nice job...really enjoy reading this each week!

#3 - Agreed on Barksdale. He would easily be one of the top 3 OT's right now
#4 - Who?
#6 - No way man. Can't pay that kind of money to just a run stuffer at that position.
#8 - good to hear. I really like Galliard.
#11 - RSJ sucks. He dropped a TD and had 2 holding penalties. He is becoming Jermaine Gresham Jr.
#12 - Rooting for Robertson to be good vs the next Cap Capi.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with Clowney isn't the draft pick. It's the money( he stands to make almost $16 million this season) and whether or not he'll stick around. Frankly, we're not going to contend so I wouldn't waste a pick on someone who's going to want out after the season.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
why would you have any hopes for White, much less high hopes, for a guy who literally has NEVER been able to stay healthy in any way shape or form?

this feels like being really disappointed you didn't win the lottery.

Because of how injuries are the primary reasons for his poor level of play so far in his career, as you indicate, thus if he could stay healthy, I was hoping he could finally show his real potential. I guess that is still possible.

I think the above is supported by how he flourished in Dana Holgersons system at West Virginia, which made White into a top ten draft pick, and the similarity to Kingsbury’s offensive system.

Maybe you are right that it was a mistake to have hopes for him.

And also, I AM disappointed that the checkout people has never given me the right lottery ticket. ;)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem with Clowney isn't the draft pick. It's the money( he stands to make almost $16 million this season) and whether or not he'll stick around. Frankly, we're not going to contend so I wouldn't waste a pick on someone who's going to want out after the season.

You are right, NJ, that he is going to command a huge contract. Probably the biggest in history, and with Chandler Jones already under contract on an absolute bargain, it would be fair to kind of be nervous about how much money would be tight up in the edge defender-department.

However, the salary cap doesn’t matter in this, and money almost always make NFL players happy to be with any team, so if the Cards did offer him a fair contract, I have no doubt that he would stay for more than a year.